Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinions on these main bearings?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I do not know much about reading bearings upon disassembly. I have several cases and I just took a look at these bearings for the first time. I know absolutely nothing about the history of this case. What are your opinions on the bearings? If I use this case, of coarse I will use new bearings. This is more for forensic fun Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tornik550
More
tornik550
More

I didn't notice til I saw the pictures but there is are some white plastic shavings on the bearings from something else I was doing.
tornik550
What I was hoping that some one could answer- is the wear pattern on the bearing with the thrust surfaces a normal wear pattern (no sure how the bearings are named)? If not, any guess as to what would cause this kind of wear?
porschetub
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Aug 11 2015, 07:45 PM) *

What I was hoping that some one could answer- is the wear pattern on the bearing with the thrust surfaces a normal wear pattern (no sure how the bearings are named)? If not, any guess as to what would cause this kind of wear?

Pics not very good ,but they appear OK,some spotting on the whitemtetal surfaces can be a number of things,seperation of the whitemetal is an alarm waiting to ring,however.
There appears some light scuffing of the surfaces but without knowing the mileage of the motor and couldn't say thats one way or the other,but it appears normal.
Be very careful what main bearing you replace with as there have been serious issues with the commonly used Glyco replacement bearing of late.
This is well documented on Pelican and I believe the rebuild guru's refuse to use them now,cheers.
Mark Henry
They look like normal wear, you would need to plastigauge them to be sure.
If good I'd DFL (Dry Film Lube) them I done this (I can do this) and it works good.

If you do decide to replace them, I'll take them shades.gif I'm looking to put together a back-up engine.
tornik550
Mark- you can have the bearings if you want however it looks like they are Glyco bearings.

What are the go to bearings to buy now for mains and rods? PP forums have some bad stuff about the glycos.
gereed75
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Aug 11 2015, 01:08 PM) *

Mark- you can have the bearings if you want however it looks like they are Glyco bearings.

What are the go to bearings to buy now for mains and rods? PP forums have some bad stuff about the glycos.

From my vast experience (one engine re build), I would say that this looks like typical wear as the bearing journals begins to ovalize. They will go out of round "spreading" at the case join line.

Measure carefully for this. If they are out of round by .002" or so, you might be fine. More than .004" and the crank will bind as you torque the cases together

It is hard to read through all of the glyco problem threads. It seems most of the problems were on the bigger bore motors. I bought the glyco''s from EBS for my 2.4 build. I guess I trusted them to say if there was a problem. They said nothing.
6freak
pitting and frosted..there junk imo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.