Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source for Frt and Rear Lower Valence w/ Gt flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kupcar
Hi Guys, Does anyone know a good source for these valences? I'm not sure if there is any difference between original body and gt trim. I have gt flares. Any ideas would be appreciated.
GeorgeRud
The valences are available through Getty Designs and others, but the only spot I found a rear valence that had the flared ends was MSDS (Mastin Schneider Design Systems).

The valences are different for flared cars to take into account the wider flares.
mepstein
Yes. MSDS for the rear valence and headers

welcome.png
ConeDodger
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 9 2015, 10:04 PM) *

The valences are available through Getty Designs and others, but the only spot I found a rear valence that had the flared ends was MSDS (Mastin Schneider Design Systems).

The valences are different for flared cars to take into account the wider flares.

My rear flares are from Getty and they are flared...
kupcar
Everyone, Thanks for the welcome and help. I'm kind of new to the 914 gt thing and I'm sure I'll have many more questions as the project evolves. I figured that many have been down this road and it was better to ask than to just buy from pictures on the net. I know with anything fiberglass it will take a bit of massaging to get a proper fit, but I want to make this as simple as possible. It seems like the rear is harder to fit. I had no ides that MSDS had rear panels available. I used them years ago for a 928 exhaust system. So it sounds like the best way to go is Getty for the front and MSDS for the rear? Anyone use Patrick Motorsports?
maf914
The Getty website indicates a front GT flared valence with oil cooler cutout to match their front GT bumper with cutout.

http://www.gettydesign.com/914_bodywork.php#guage
914_3.0
QRS in southern California
mepstein
QUOTE(kupcar @ Aug 10 2015, 09:45 AM) *

Everyone, Thanks for the welcome and help. I'm kind of new to the 914 gt thing and I'm sure I'll have many more questions as the project evolves. I figured that many have been down this road and it was better to ask than to just buy from pictures on the net. I know with anything fiberglass it will take a bit of massaging to get a proper fit, but I want to make this as simple as possible. It seems like the rear is harder to fit. I had no ides that MSDS had rear panels available. I used them years ago for a 928 exhaust system. So it sounds like the best way to go is Getty for the front and MSDS for the rear? Anyone use Patrick Motorsports?

I'm pretty sure it was robw who just purchased the MSDS rear and said it was spot on.
kupcar
Wow! That would be great if the panel didn't need to be fiddled with. It's not easy to keep fiberglass molds consistent. Anyone have good fitment for the front?
AndyB
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 9 2015, 10:46 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 9 2015, 10:04 PM) *

My rear flares are from Getty and they are flared...

driving-girl.gif

Good to know your flares are flared Rob poke.gif
Maltese Falcon
Kupcar ...
Ask for your 914 would discount if you call MSDS for the rear valence.
I'm at 818.507.69 three seven,
m-f, or just pm me .
In stock, but these will all be going to our Rennsport5 exhibit in Sept.
Marty
kupcar
Thanks Marty. I'll give you a buzz tomorrow. That solves my rear, now on to the front. Does anyone know if the stock lower valence would line up to the lower wheel wells of gt flares? The car is currently not running a front oil cooler and the front bumper does not have a oil cooler cutout. It looks like everything I've seen in the front has provisions for a oil cooler. Would a stock front work?
Thanks in advance.
Maltese Falcon
The oe front valence will look mis-matched to the lower edges of the gt flares...as the contours will not blend in.
Some people here with some good sheet metal skills have modified their stock valence to blend in. A lot more easy just to find a glass unit that is done. Just pre-fit, then prime/paint. Several vendors available as discussed here.
We can chat on Wed !
Marty
EdwardBlume
Marty is a stand up guy and has a nice rear valence.

I'm in the same boat needing a non cut out GT front valence. Modifying a stock steel requires skills I don't have....

I think they aren't made because front flares vary on installation and its impossible to match the valence.
EdwardBlume
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...43099&st=20

See post #37
maf914
AIR has fiberglass for 914's, but all of the front valences seem to have oil cooler cutouts. The do list a rear valence with flares.

http://www.americaninternationalracing.com...246&page=59
maf914
I have no fiberglass fabricating skills, but I wondered if the following is reasonable.

Start with a stock metal front valence pan, or a aftermarket fiberglass front valence, or a fiberglass LE front spoiler mounted to the car. Shape a block of styrofoam to match the end of the valence or spoiler at the flare. Attach the block to the valence. Shape the foam to match the curvatures of the flare and the valence. Finish the foam with fiberglass fabric or mat. Finish with filler and paint.

Would this work? As stated, I have no real fiberglass skills, having messed with it on only a few occasions. Any comments by experienced fabricators would be appreciated. idea.gif
kupcar
Well I think I have the rear taken care of. Thanks Marty. Now it's just a matter of finding something for the front. Anyone seen a lower front valence for gt flares without a oil cooler cutout? How funky would it look with a lower with the cutout mated to a bumper without a cutout?
mepstein
QUOTE(kupcar @ Aug 12 2015, 10:23 PM) *

Well I think I have the rear taken care of. Thanks Marty. Now it's just a matter of finding something for the front. Anyone seen a lower front valence for gt flares without a oil cooler cutout? How funky would it look with a lower with the cutout mated to a bumper without a cutout?

Ive seen it and it doesnt look bad. black valance and some black screen across the opening and your good. I guess it depends on the look your going for. You could also rework the flared valence to eliminate the cutout. Piece of cake for competant fiberglass person.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(kupcar' date='Aug 12 2015 07:23 PM @ Aug 12 2015 07:23 PM) *

Not funky at all...I run an A-I-R front gt valence with oil cooler cutout, small perforated grill, and straight bumper. Everything is black so it's hardly noticeable , but I would do it even if my 914 was a different color.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(kupcar @ Aug 10 2015, 06:45 AM) *

...and we still mfg.the 928 exhaust headers, although these have the newer Generation 2 design merge collectors.
I heard that your MSDS headers are about 25 years old and doing well welder.gif driving.gif

Click to view attachment
kupcar
Yes, 25 years old, and still like new! Best single mod I did on the 928. Can't wait to get that rear valence fitted, painted and installed on the 914. Thanks much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.