Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Misprint in 1974 Owners Manual
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
I recently purchased what appears to be a NOS or later reprint of the "Model 1974 Owners Manual 1.8/2.0" (yellowish-green cover). Says Copyright by Porsche and Printed in Germany and all that. On page 90 under Checking Oil Level topic it says this: "The difference between the min. and max. marks (referring to the oil dipstick) amounts to approx. 0.74 U.S. pt. (0.61 Imp. qt.). Shouldn't that read U.S. "qt." not "pt." ??

Does anyone else have a '74 manual with this serious mistake. Hard to believe Porsche would have let this slip by. Particularly interested in manuals that actually and originally came with someone's car.

Ansbacher
914Sixer
I remember that the dip stick on 914 has something different going on. Most sticks show a high and low difference of a quart, but for some reason 914 did not. Page 43 in the 75 manual shows 0,74 US qt(0,61 Imp qt) or 0,7 litters.

SO I would say it is a misprint in the 74 manual.
boxsterfan
Given this misprint, I am now suing Porsche for a defective product and demanding they produce me a brand new 914.
jvmarino
I have a 74 2.0, and my manual has a grey/silver cover. I don't have access to it now, but I do not recall seeing that same misprint.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Aug 10 2015, 05:40 PM) *

I recently purchased what appears to be a NOS or later reprint of the "Model 1974 Owners Manual 1.8/2.0" (yellowish-green cover). Says Copyright by Porsche and Printed in Germany and all that. On page 90 under Checking Oil Level topic it says this: "The difference between the min. and max. marks (referring to the oil dipstick) amounts to approx. 0.74 U.S. pt. (0.61 Imp. qt.). Shouldn't that read U.S. "qt." not "pt." ??

Does anyone else have a '74 manual with this serious mistake. Hard to believe Porsche would have let this slip by. Particularly interested in manuals that actually and originally came with someone's car.

Ansbacher

I have the same misprint in my Model '74 manual. It was with my car when I got it 10 years ago, but I doubt it came with the car originally. There is no notation of the original owner in the back. It is definitely not a reprint.
Dave_Darling
The European 74 owner's manual says that the distance between the marks is 1.48 US pints (1.22 Imp. pints).

The 73 US owner's manual says 1 US qt (0.8 Imp. qt).

--DD
falcor75
My 74 manual says its one liter between the marks.... The first page says "printed in Germany" ...not West Germany, later reprint perhaps? Dont know if the manual is original to the car or not....
AvalonFal
I have what I believe is an original '74 2.0L Owner's Manual/Maintenance Record (original Dealers' service stamps from Delivery Inspection on 4/18/74 with 10 miles on odometer up to 9/15/77 for the 60,000 mile service - also original Warranty Voucher Card dated 4/18/74). Page 90 shows the difference in oil level marks as "1 liter".

Greenish yellow cover, "printed in Germany" on 1st page.
KELTY360
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 10 2015, 08:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Aug 10 2015, 05:40 PM) *

Ansbacher

I have the same misprint in my Model '74 manual. It was with my car when I got it 10 years ago, but I doubt it came with the car originally. There is no notation of the original owner in the back. It is definitely not a reprint.

I noticed on page 44 of my manual it states the difference between min and max is 0.74 US qt. So they got it right in one spot and wrong in the other.
Ansbacher
Thanks for all the research and input everyone. Ok then, I guess it is safe to assume that when the level hits the MIN mark, it is OK to put in approx. 3/4 of a U.S. Quart of oil to bring it up to the MAX mark. Sound good ??

Look at the confusion a misprint of one letter creates. I hope there are no misprints in the documents for that stupid Iranian nuclear deal !

Ansbacher
montoya 73 2.0
This is my manual pg.40

my 73' manual

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.