Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need an expert with some letterhead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Taylor would only have insure my car for $25,000 unless I could supply a valuation showing that it's worth more. I'm after $40,000. Any of you guys with businesses willing to help me?
MJHanna
Time to change insurance provider.
rhodyguy
Provide comparables from the classifieds. Your engine and paint receipts alone should crest what they think your car is worth. Get an 'agreed value' policy. If they don't do that start shopping.
aircooledtechguy
Billy call me. I'm in until 3:30 daily.
Tom_T
Bill,

There should be a well regarded collector car appraiser in your PNW area there who can give you a real appraisal for a few $100s (2-3 I would guess), which will both satisfy Taylor & any other insurance company for agreed value. The appraiser will want all of your work & parts records & invoices etc. too as back-up, so scan or photo them up & load to a CD/stick/card & they find summary lists with totals or spreadsheets for same helpful too.

Plus you'll have a real appraisal which will stand up to any legal challenge by the other party, their & your insurance should something happen - rather than a good ole buddy letter.

It's a good idea to re-appraise every so often when prices/values go up in the collector car world - as is happening again with our 914s too - so that you're not underinsured for replacement cost - which is what agreed value is meant to cover (same goes for home insurance, jewelry & other insured valuables).

Also it's a good idea to also check prices regularly with Hagerty, Heacock, Grundy, Chubb, Leland West & any others who advertise in Pano, Excellence, Hemmings' Sports & Exotics & Classic Car, etc. Many offer more than just to/from car shows usage with their coverage.

Also check with AAA for their Classic Car insurance - yes they have it too - but if they say no go being later than `72 tell the agent to check their binder for the exceptions for Porsches up to `89 & ask for their manager or the dept head if they won't or can't find it. We have our `60 Avion T20 (like Airstream) with them & will have the 914 when it's resto is done or in progress.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mikey914
I got Hagerty and it's stated value, mine is not anywhere near that, but maybe worth checking.
screenguy914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 11 2015, 11:25 AM) *

I got Hagerty and it's stated value, mine is not anywhere near that, but maybe worth checking.

Try Grundy and other classic car ins. providers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.