Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help: Clutch or Transmission Issue? 2.0l Not shifting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Easyb
Need some help and expert opinions please.

I have a shifting issue now that the engine is running. I can not put the car in gears.
The clutch doesn't seem to engage.
The car was shifting OK not perfectly prior to the dis-assembly. I re-assemble carefully but obviously I messed something up.

When I depress the clutch pedal, the shifter doesn't fully go into the gear slot (no matter the gear). There is a grinding noise when trying to put on reverse or when I try to release the clutch pedal.

I haven't gone and looked at the issue yet, any thoughts or ideas on what to look?

Could it simply be a cable adjustment required?
Do I need to pull the clutch and reinstall it? I had only removed the clutch cover and pressure plate to make the engine fit my engine stand.
I had marked the pressure plate and reinstalled it the same way. It was in good condition.
SLITS
All things being the same, it is probably the adjustment of your cable.

I usually look at the position of the double nuts in relation to the threads on the cable to try to get it back where it was prior to clutch removal.
Dave_Darling
What did you dis-assemble? If you replaced the flywheel or clutch, you may need to fuss with the ball stud that the clutch throwout arm pivots on. If you messed with the throwout arm, you may not have gotten it hooked back on correctly.

Or, yeah, the adjustment could just need to be screwed in a bunch more.

--DD
Easyb
I removed the engine (disassembly) and doing so, disconnected the transmission arm, the clutch and other cables below. I also just removed the pressure plate and clutch to put the engine on the engine stand.

rick 918-S
Check the cone screws in the linkage.
Old Yella
Sounds like you need to reposition your shift lever and set it the factory spec.
Did you undo the shift linkage in the tunnel between the seats? If so.

1. Place the tranny in neutral at the shift lever under the car.

2. Undo the shift linkage rod clamp at the base of the shift lever.

3. Position the lever loosely in the middle of its position.

4. hold the shift rod with vice grips and turn the whole rod to the right.

5. tighten up the shift rod clamp.

This should let you get all the gears and not wack revers when moving from 1st to second.

If you can move into all the gears with the engine off and it then won't go into gear with the clutch depressed then look at other issues as well.

Easyb
Thank you all for your responses.

I tightened the screw from the clutch cable and it's now shifting into gears but I grinds a lot when going into Reverse.
I'll try to see if it needs more tightening. Thoughts??

@ Old Yella: I hadn't touched the shift gear assembly from inside the car.
@Rick918: cone screws were properly in.

SLITS
QUOTE(Easyb @ Aug 12 2015, 08:19 AM) *

I tightened the screw from the clutch cable and it's now shifting into gears but I grinds a lot when going into Reverse.

Did it grind into reverse before?

Try giving it one, maybe two more turns on the 11 mm nuts. You should be able to pull back on the clutch pedal about 3/4" when adjusted.
Easyb
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 12 2015, 11:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Easyb @ Aug 12 2015, 08:19 AM) *

Did it grind into reverse before?

Try giving it one, maybe two more turns on the 11 mm nuts. You should be able to pull back on the clutch pedal about 3/4" when adjusted.

It did grind into Reverse when I bought it last October. It seems (might be my mind playing tricks) that it grinds a little more now.

The car was running but poorly which is why i'm going through it and trying to make it a reliable (proven) daily.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.