Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxster S 6-speed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gfg3
OK, I've got a line on a very inexpensive Boxster S 6-speed. And I've got my '75 914 2 liter. I've checked through lots of posts here and at Pelican and other sites to see if anyone has actually used this trans in the 914. Lots of folks say it can't be done, but to me that's just a challenge. And there are hints that it has been done, but I need to know if anyone has actually done this. Yes, I know the starter issue and a few of the other "challenges". Anyone?

George
Dave_Darling
It's been done several times, hooking up to various non-stock motors. (Audi, Chevy, etc.) Just scroll down for discussion of the Small-Block Chevy version, and do a search for Mike Bellis' thread on his engine-of-the-month conversion car. He might have even had a rotary hooked up to a Boxster trans?

IMHO, the Boxster trans is not a particularly good idea with the Type IV engine. At the very least, it isn't needed--and it's quite a bit heavier. Plus you have to work out how to mount it, how to hook up the clutch, the reverse lights, the shift linkage, and the starter. Not to mention drive axles. It's probably easier to get a cable-shift setup from somewhere else, and buy two or three stock 914 transmissions to swap if you kill one. That'll still probably cost less than getting the Box trans all hooked in correctly.

--DD
Mike Bellis
You will need a custom adapter, flywheel, clutch and you will need to machine and weld the transmission to create a starter pocket.

If you can do all that, then yes it can be connected to your 2.0L T4.
gfg3
Thanks for your input Dave. I just had to know if anyone matched a 6-speed Boxster trans to a type IV. The Boxster trans is sweet, and I've driven and raced 914s and that trans is....well, not so sweet. Plus I had this (almost) free 6-speed available. Just a thought....
Andyrew
Might I suggest the 5 speed from the Audi A4/Vw Passat.

These can be found every day at the junkyard or from people parting them out.

Dime a dozen and if you paid more than 150 for it you didnt do your shopping very well (last one I bought was 60 bucks...)
Andyrew
Its essentially the same trani but its been said they shift smoother. Not to mention there are a million gear combos you can use..
Mike Bellis
Sell me the 6 speed. It will bolt right up to my Audi motor. biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 11 2015, 04:44 PM) *

Might I suggest the 5 speed from the Audi A4/Vw Passat.

These can be found every day at the junkyard or from people parting them out.

Dime a dozen and if you paid more than 150 for it you didnt do your shopping very well (last one I bought was 60 bucks...)

Good info there....
gfg3
Thanks everyone. Sounds like it may be too hard. But then again, I have a couple of bizarre ideas about how to mate the trans that I'll have to think about. But for now, it's something I'll fiddle with once the winter weather hits.
brant
I Would worry about the gearing to a type 4
gfg3
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 12 2015, 09:53 AM) *

I Would worry about the gearing to a type 4

Gearing doesn't appear to be too bad, at least at first glance. If you consider that the Boxster has a higher (lower numerical) rear ratio and then work through the individual gear ratios, here's what I get for total ratio at the rear (not definitive...I did the math quickly):

Boxster
1 13.14
2 7.57
3 5.23
4 4.20
5 3.51
6 2.89

1 13.69
2 8.37
3 5.58
4 4.10
5 3.14
6 -----

I haven't charted out all the shift points vs speed, but a couple of observations: Assuming 914 torque is sufficient to launch using the lower numerical Boxster 1st gear, the std 914 gearbox would pull a little better through 3rd gear. Once in 4th, Boxster pulls a little better. But frankly, now that I look at it, that 6th gear would probably be useless in most instances unless you really are looking for long legs and gas mileage. Again, not sure if the 4-cyl 914 has the power to even use that 6th gear effectively.

Oh well, nice mental exercise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.