Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 Casesavers for magnesium case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I have a strange noise in my /6. I can probably fix it without tearing apart the engine however I was going to completely rebuild it in the winter anyway so I decided to just do it now.

I will be using a 2.7l 7r magnesium case. I read all over that Casesavers are a good idea on rebuild for mag cases. heres a few questions regarding this topic-

-are Casesavers absolutely necessary on magnesium cases?

-assuming so, who can install them for me?

-what is the approximate cost of having Casesavers installed?

-can it be properly done DIY?

I am not overly worried about the cost, I just hate shipping things and waiting for them.
billh1963
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Aug 11 2015, 08:43 PM) *

I have a strange noise in my /6. I can probably fix it without tearing apart the engine however I was going to completely rebuild it in the winter anyway so I decided to just do it now.

I will be using a 2.7l 7r magnesium case. I read all over that Casesavers are a good idea on rebuild for mag cases. heres a few questions regarding this topic-

-are Casesavers absolutely necessary on magnesium cases?

-assuming so, who can install them for me?

-what is the approximate cost of having Casesavers installed?

-can it be properly done DIY?

I am not overly worried about the cost, I just hate shipping things and waiting for them.

These guys do a LOT of work..... Ollie's Machine. There is a price list on the website
Peashooter
I can recommend Ollie's. They did my case and did a great job. I also had them machine the halves and line bore it, then tumble it in some media they have and it comes out looking like new.
My wife and I were out in the area and stopped to visit. That shop is clean and well organized!
I wouldn't build a 2.7 without putting in case savers at the least.
jcd914
I think case savers (timeserts) are a required step of a mag case engine rebuild.

But first, the magnesium cases can warp due to excessive heat.
You should get the case checked over by a machine shop that knows mag cases.
A warped case can need line bore, cylinder deck resurfaced or it can be too warped to be worth fixing.

Then you can have timeserts installed and then the cylinder spigot bores checked and probably get them trued. The installation of timeserts often distorts the bore of the cylinder spigots which can make the cylinders fit too tight.

There are also a couple 8mm case studs that should get timeserts, it is a bad feeling to have an 8mm case stud pull loose as you try to torque it after assembling everything with sealant and assembly lube and new bearings, etc...

You also might consider the oil pressure relief modification and a later oil pump and ....

It is a slippery slope.

Jim
GeorgeRud
Timeserts can also pull out (ask how I know), so I'd go with the Casavers. I went all out and had Henry Schmidt do my 2.7 engine rebuild with the Casavers, oil system upgrades, etc. Not cheap, but it runs like a scalded cat (199.5hp at the rear wheels).

Ollie's would be a great choice for machining if you want to assemble the engine yourself.
carr914
Do it right this time or you will be doing it again! Henry is certainly good. I have J-B Racing do all my Engine Machine work - alignbore, Case Savers, Shuffle Pins, T-P the Heads, etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.