Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Want A/C for your car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
This seller is near by at Canyon Lake, Texas. They offer two kits. One for $1275 to up date your current air conditioner. The second kit is for $1775 for the complete installation.
jim_hoyland
Do the AC components mount in the same places as the originals ?
914Sixer
You would have to check with them. I would think so because they offer the update kit.
GeorgeRud
As we age, the creature comforts do become a but more attractive, and being comfortable on a hot, humid day would make the 914 more usable in the summer.

I just wish they'd come up for a great compressor mounting system for a -6 that doesn't require cutting the firewall. I seem to remember they were working on an electric 12 volt compressor, but it was in the early stages of development.
boxsterfan
I want A/C, but I don't want that under dash A/C blower. I want a combined heater/ac blower that blows out the original/existing vents.

But I'm a picky. shades.gif
914forme
Electric A/C is in the works yes, Vintage Air says it is not ready for their usage. "Over the years, we have received a number of questions regarding electric compressors, and whether or not they are available through Vintage Air. Since the 1990s, our engineers have tested numerous electric compressors as part of Vintage Air's comprehensive research and development program, and we have used them in several all-electric vehicle applications, including the 1990s-era Ford TH!NK.

With that being said, Vintage Air is committed to selling only the best-performing aftermarket air conditioning components. As a result, at this time we do not offer an electric compressor in our catalog because we do not recommend their use in your muscle car or hot rod."

"However, primary-use electric compressors require a high output from the vehicle’s electrical system, with some compressors drawing as many as 180 amps"

That will kill your 914 Alternator
MoveQik
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Aug 11 2015, 09:29 PM) *

I want A/C, but I don't want that under dash A/C blower. I want a combined heater/ac blower that blows out the original/existing vents.

Ditto! And a way to mount it without cutting the firewall. I know McMark is about 99.9% done with a solution to that problem...I think.
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Aug 12 2015, 12:44 PM) *

Ditto! And a way to mount it without cutting the firewall. I know McMark is about 99.9% done with a solution to that problem...I think.

agree.gif
don't wanna cut a hole in my trunk either
boxsterfan
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 12 2015, 09:17 AM) *

Electric A/C is in the works yes, Vintage Air says it is not ready for their usage. "Over the years, we have received a number of questions regarding electric compressors, and whether or not they are available through Vintage Air. Since the 1990s, our engineers have tested numerous electric compressors as part of Vintage Air's comprehensive research and development program, and we have used them in several all-electric vehicle applications, including the 1990s-era Ford TH!NK.

With that being said, Vintage Air is committed to selling only the best-performing aftermarket air conditioning components. As a result, at this time we do not offer an electric compressor in our catalog because we do not recommend their use in your muscle car or hot rod."

"However, primary-use electric compressors require a high output from the vehicle’s electrical system, with some compressors drawing as many as 180 amps"

McMark found a GM (I think) alternator that can be bolted into your Type IV. He installed one with 150AMP capacity and said they also had one with 230AMP capacity.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Aug 12 2015, 11:53 AM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Aug 12 2015, 12:44 PM) *

agree.gif
don't wanna cut a hole in my trunk either

Yeah, that's why I am working on designing an install for mounting the condensors in the fog light grills area (note: may have to give up fog lights). I never use my fog lights, but others do for daytime running lights (DRL).

If I could just get the combined heater/ac blower and an electric compressor all mounted in the front that would be great. You still have to cut some holes, but they seem much cleaner.
Kansas 914
My '74 was an A/C car at one time. Holes still there for lines from front trunk to engine bay and the front trunk floor had been repaired. It would be a good candidate...

This is so tempting...
76-914

I kind-a-like the idea of a dash mount blowing cold air on my balls. evilgrin.gif

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 12 2015, 09:17 AM) *

One not so obvious advantage with an elec compressor is that it will always run at the optimum RPM. Can't say that about our mech compressors.

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Aug 12 2015, 10:44 AM) *

Forget that, Mike. In another month McMark won't give a Rat's Ass about AC. He might however design some new gasoline heaters for a 914. lol-2.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 12 2015, 12:51 PM) *

My '74 was an A/C car at one time. Holes still there for lines from front trunk to engine bay and the front trunk floor had been repaired. It would be a good candidate...

This is so tempting...

My car was an AC car as well and you can see where panels were welded back in. I'm not worried about cutting the front trunk as needed. I just don't want to touch the firewall to fit the compressor. That is where I think McMark has found a solution for a /6.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.