Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got the tube of BOSCH grease
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
I am goign to install a fresh set of points....the old ones have like 150 miles on them and are starting to suck...(i'm going to think about a new dizzy)...how much grease goes on the rubbing block? ANybody have a pertronix/compufire(whichever is better) i could use/buy instead?
mattillac
150 miles huh. why you points wear so quick?
McMark
One full tube per set of points.

lol2.gif Just kidding. Just enough to lubricate them. Smear some on the dizzy shaft too.
ClayPerrine
You do realize that the title of this thread leaves you WIDE OPEN for jokes about Kentucky Jelly lubricant and such.

I am going to take the high road and not probe that opening........
bd1308
hey i just had a serious question.....i never thought about the possibilities ....I'm just scratching my head, trying to figure out how to keep my points for more than 100 miles. would the timing/dwell being off cause the car to.....hesitate, pop, ping, etc.?
r_towle
There are two places that need grease on the dizzy.

First mark the dizzy were it is located with a sharpie.

Now remove the dizzy. Just take off the nut holding the adjuster to the case. Now pull it out.

Now, take out the points...the plate that the points are screwed to comes out if you take off the screws on the outside of the dizzy that attach the hold down clips/or condensor. there should be two that go through and screw into the base plate of the points horizontally.

MAKE SURE as you pull out the base plates (there are two) that you do not loose the steel ball that is in between the two plates...work on a clean surface.

Now get some cleaner and clean both plates...careful not to break the ground strap...this is were 30 years of old grease needs to be cleaned and re-applied.

These are your advance plates and will dratically affect your dwell.advance settings....mine was doing the same thing and this was the fix.

Re-grease and re-install...make sure they move freely before you continue.

Now, sitting on a chair with the dizzy in your hand, install the points and gap them...its alot easier out of the car...if you are patient and really try to get them perfect while the dizzy is out of the car, you can get really close to correct.

Re-install the dizzy right were it was before..exactly inline with were it was marked with the sharpie so you know you are within the timing range.

Re-plug all the wires...dont forget to FI plug.
Vacuum lines etc...

Now you want to check your dwell and set timing.

After you are all done setting your dwell and timing, take the last little bit of grease and put a dab on the shaft that the points rubs against.

That should be it...there is a place in the top of the shaft that needs oil, cant remember what type, I usually use a normal houshold oil (not car oil) A couple of drops will do and its part of the normal points change.

Look at the cap...if your contacts are getting build up on them, get a new cap.

I get now cap, points, condensor and plugs twice a year.
I drive maybe 5k per year.
I get new wires once per year.
At the local Flaps, I get all my stuff for under 50 bucks.

Good luck
Rich
TheCabinetmaker
Are you using a dwell meter to check it? If the points are opening (dwell decreases), you probably aren't thightening the screw enough. If they are closing(dwell increases) because the little phenolic block is wearing, then you most likely have a very worn distributor shaft and it should be replaced. If this is the case then lube won't help much.
bd1308
i think i need a rebuilt dizzy. I cant get a "great" dwell reading....it's jumping all over the place and i think that the shaft is worn and giving me false readings. It USED to work great, but now it pops and hesitates and i'm just grabbing at anything to see what the problem could be.
anthony
Can you feel play in the shaft? I lubed my distributor as described above and intalled a Pertronix and all the jumpiness went away.
bd1308
i can push down about a cm but i cant pull up on it. I might just buy a dizzy to have around anyway....65 bucks at FLAPS...cant beat that with a stick
TheCabinetmaker
Wiggle it side to side. Any movement there?
bd1308
i dunno. the car is 10 minutes from my present location and it's way cold outside. Um I will check after class ends (4pm). I need to go to sears, some dood stole my 8mm and 10mm socket wrench. oh yeah, and i was wondering if changing the condensor would affect anything....havent changed it yet.
anthony
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 1 2005, 09:27 AM)
i can push down about a cm but i cant pull up on it. I might just buy a dizzy to have around anyway....65 bucks at FLAPS...cant beat that with a stick

It won't be a 2L dizzy. It will probably work ok though.
rick 918-S
Good to change the points and condensor in sets.

Also check the voltage at the points. If you are running at a full 12 volts you are frying them I think you should have 6 to 8 volts or something. Someone here will know the real reading. I had this happen when I installed a hi-output coil in an old BMW 2002. Is your coil stock and correct for the car?
bd1308
the porsche guy looked over this 914 like 10 times. He specializes in 914s.....he replaced the coil was running a 4x4 coil (YIKES)....i'm gonna check the voltage. 8 volts? so the cap lowers the voltage......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.