Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beautiful 'Singer' resto-mod?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I stumbled across this beauty in C&D(Dec 2013) while waiting in the doctors office.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/drive...eedster-feature

IPB Image
JmuRiz
For sure it's a resto mod...a VERY high end one.

If only I had the money to do something similar with my 914 (I have the design details in my mind and have ever discussed material choices with the wife) ....but I don't.

BTW R&T had a full test on the SandySilver one. Impressive times/specs/stats for an old car, way better than the base 964 they started with:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a2...ined-by-singer/
madmax914
LOVE that car!! It's a Singer Design, and they've named it the Dubai. My wife is pushing me to paint my 914 in a similar color combination(at least a year away). You give them your 930 and $150,000 to $300,000 later you have a jewel. Not everyone's cup of tea but I really appreciate their attention to detail.

http://singervehicledesign.com/gallery/the-machines/dubai/
okieflyr
I'm thinking Leno drove it on his "Garage" series on youtube...
Mueller
I dig them....makes me miss my 964 since that is what chassis they are based on.
moldygreg
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Aug 12 2015, 09:31 AM) *

A little TV Show in the UK drove one around a bit...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihhFf-9wLHs
Andyrew
I've taken some interior inspiration notes from this and a couple of their other cars. Really fine work and the simplicity and stile is just fantastic..
thieuster
The 914 design is 'par example' a car that Will benefit from a Singer-ish makeover! It was designed and built on a tight budget. Hence the simple interior. An upgrade stylish-wise can lift the look and feel of the car.

Have look at the two colors of the striping! Most 914s I have seen hardly dare to,wear a single color (okay, and my silver 914 is very dull, I admit)
Harpo
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Aug 12 2015, 08:31 AM) *

agree.gif
I saw the same episode. The cut 50 lbs out and added gobs of HP. One sweet ride
Sedonut
That's my plan. Build a 914 as if it was built by Singer. The one in Road and Track is built for the guy that owns Weathertech floor protectors. The article lists the price, without the donor 964 mind you, at $575,000.

I have a 914 shell $250, 16x7 Fuchs with tires $1000. Used Carbon Fiber deck lids, $1210 Shipped. I'm rebuilding a 2056, New Spanish Weber carbs, $740. Momo wheel with leather horn button like the Singer $500.

I'm hoping to be in it between $10-15,000, when I am done. Plus the obligatory 1000 hours of my time at .05 per hour.

It won't be a 911, but it won't be $575,000.
Vysoc
For my Re-Imagine Singer Resto 914-6 GT Project, I am falling for the soft/light Grey that you see one of the Singer 911's gallery, with the soft Orange stripes above the rockers. I would love to have the Singer Seats but am very happy with my Sparco 914-6 GT Resto seats that TC and I scored up a couple of years ago. My car will have a 2.5 Flat six, Engman and additional stiffening kits, one of McMark's 1/2 Roll Bars, 7x16 Fuch's in front and 9x17 Rota's in the rear (RSR Finish), Wilwood calipers in the front and the list is growing.
Unfortunately, I am still welding in the new floor pan's, hell hole patch and the strengthening kits. This is taking a long time but looking forward to Okteenerfest with my other runner.

Vysoc flag.gif
vintage914racer
I believe that is the "Dubai" Singer, originally built for a client in Dubai and now owned by a local here in MN. In fact, the same guy ones two Singers.

One of my employees has an automotive photography business on the side and has shot some great photos of both here
Andyrew
QUOTE(Sedonut @ Aug 12 2015, 12:59 PM) *

That's my plan. Build a 914 as if it was built by Singer. The one in Road and Track is built for the guy that owns Weathertech floor protectors. The article lists the price, without the donor 964 mind you, at $575,000.

I have a 914 shell $250, 16x7 Fuchs with tires $1000. Used Carbon Fiber deck lids, $1210 Shipped. I'm rebuilding a 2056, New Spanish Weber carbs, $740. Momo wheel with leather horn button like the Singer $500.

I'm hoping to be in it between $10-15,000, when I am done. Plus the obligatory 1000 hours of my time at .05 per hour.

Problem here is the Stinger cars and all the other one's like it its not just the standard parts they use, they develop custom high end parts that look just a 'little' bit better than whats on the market and when you have expert fitment and a really quality interior designer it just comes together to look amazing..

I can guarantee you that the leather work in each of those cars would cost 30k to replicate...
mepstein
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 12 2015, 06:39 PM) *

Problem here is the Stinger cars and all the other one's like it its not just the standard parts they use, they develop custom high end parts that look just a 'little' bit better than whats on the market and when you have expert fitment and a really quality interior designer it just comes together to look amazing..

I can guarantee you that the leather work in each of those cars would cost 30k to replicate...

Wire harness $15k, engine is probable 75-100 ect. Most of the car is custom made.
Dave_Darling
My wife wants one...

--DD
Sedonut
While you can pay $15,000 for a wiring harness, should you? Especially when it is for the same car with the same engine. Could anyone tell?

Sounds like stupid money to me.

It sounds like paying $1000 for a hamburger, because it has $10 of gold leaf on it. Just to say you ate a $1000 hamburger.

The steering wheel I have is the EXACT same new Momo Singer uses with the exact same center. Would it feel better if I paid $10,000 for it instead of $500?

Good for Singer. But price and value do not equal.
Andyrew
They do to some people. For the customer of Stinger its about exclusivity and that final touch that make IT different than all the rest. They'll gladly pay half a mill for a 10/10ths car when the 9.8/10ths car is only 125k...
falcor75
The thing about the Singer is that -Everything- is improved on. Fenders and hoods under that gorgeous paint....carbon fibre..(roof too maybe?) Brakes, chassis Engine, gearbox....Everything is the top shelf stuff. Attention to detail is unbelievable.

So even buying a low milage mint condition 964 RS for $125k wont even get you close to the specs of the Singer...and standing beside a Singer the RS would look quite underwhelming despite being top of the line of the 964 family.

Edit (A 964 3.6 Turbo might be the closest thing to a Singer in performance?)
mepstein
For most singer customers , i.e. The ultra rich, they are actually spending a smaller percentage of there income on a car than you or I. They typically have a couple cars in this price range.

I think part of the singer vision is to build the best 911 they can build without any budget constraints
Mueller

Not to be an @ss, but your proposed build sounds like nothing special that hasn't been done thousands of times with /4 914's.

Parked next to any other lightly modified 914 it will just blend in, the Singer mod-911 has been tweaked/refined all over.
frankiec@outrageous.net
Ironic that last week I posted a pic of the illustration of the Singer 914 as I really liked the front end look, especially the front bumper. I would say about 80% of the replies were put downs and negative. Now here it is again and with lots of positive feedback. Just goes to show there's no accounting for taste and opinion.
scotty b
QUOTE(frankiec@outrageous.net @ Aug 13 2015, 08:09 AM) *

Ironic that last week I posted a pic of the illustration of the Singer 914 as I really liked the front end look, especially the front bumper. I would say about 80% of the replies were put downs and negative. Now here it is again and with lots of positive feedback. Just goes to show there's no accounting for taste and opinion.

WTF.gif Are you fucking mental ??? That pic was NOT a SINGER 914. It was a photoshop job of a Singer-esque 911 front end on a jacked up ( just my opinion) 914 body.

The Singer 911 and that 914 pic you posted are NOWHERE NEAR similar screwy.gif
frankiec@outrageous.net
Did I say 911 in my post??? Clean your glasses!
frankiec@outrageous.net
People sure do get excited! No wonder a good portion of the public take meds to calm themselves down.
scotty b
QUOTE(frankiec@outrageous.net @ Aug 13 2015, 08:27 AM) *

People sure do get excited! No wonder a good portion of the public take meds to calm themselves down.

rolleyes.gif
john77
QUOTE(frankiec@outrageous.net @ Aug 13 2015, 09:09 AM) *

The only irony is that you posted a picture of a 914 with a 'Singer-style' front bumper and then proved all the 'naysayers' that questioned whether it would work wrong by posting a picture of a 911. You understand a 911 isn't a 914, right? It's like me posting a picture of a 914 someone photoshopped a Ferrari F50 rear end onto and then posting a picture of a Ferrari F50 and saying, 'See, naysayers, it works!'

And now, irony of irony, you're doing the same, again.
billh1963
Singers are beautiful cars....maybe, one day pray.gif
mepstein
Don't feed the trolls
Vysoc
popcorn[1].gif
JmuRiz
Back to the topic...I read in the past year or so that the Singer wiring harness is closer to $30k. Since it's all new, made specifically for the engine, accessories etc on the car.

Fancy stuff.

BTW the leather work (woven leather) can be bought by the yard via commercial points of contact. I learned that from my wife that deals with this stuff all the time biggrin.gif The craftsmanship is another matter, it's OE+ quality...and if you've looked at the work of some supposedly good car upholstery shops, they can be wavy/wrinkly. Details like that really add up in addition to the R&D for new C/F panels and mechanical work.

Singer is kind of like Ruf+ in my mind...amazingly tweeked Porsches that are greater than the sum of their parts.

I wish I had the funds to work with Scotty on something, but I'm too lazy to go back to school and expand my skills biggrin.gif
scotty b
I just last week got a quote form an upholstery supplier for a woven leather ( probably more involved than the Singer style ).......365.00 / yard blink.gif
thieuster
I own a classic car restoration workshop (financial investment) and I can tell you that restoring a simple classic takes at least 1000 - 1200 hr. Labor-wise, that is. A more complicated car will take at least 1500 - 1800 hr. Our rate is 55 euros/hr, ex VAT. You can do the maths. But Singer takes it to the next level: modding! And that takes a lot of additional time: trial fitting, discussing shapes etc. My experience is that nearly ALL owners want improvements done to their cars. In general you can add 45 - 100% extra time!

To make it easier to get your head around these numbers: I don't have accurate numbers for the resto of a 911 engine, I do have them for a Jaguar 12 cyl engine. A total rebuild cost our clients 16,000 euros. No mods or special request involved.

I am sure that Singer makes a thick slice of bread ( simply translating a Dutch saying here) with with their cars AND they have their marketing up and running. But in general, I am not swepped off my feet when I read their prices.

Back to the 914: I can see the point of the OP trying to transfere the Singer's look and feel to the 914! Even without the improvements and just the looks, I think it will put a 914 in the spotlight.

Just do it!

Menno
Andyrew
Yeowch... Speaking that it takes ~ 2 yards to do a seat...

I think I am paying ~$15 a yard for the vinyl on my car... Makes it easy to go and grab the whole spool and have a bunch for other fun projects..
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(thieuster @ Aug 13 2015, 03:07 PM) *

I own a classic car restoration workshop (financial investment) and I can tell you that restoring a simple classic takes at least 1000 - 1200 hr. Labor-wise, that is. A more complicated car will take at least 1500 - 1800 hr. Our rate is 55 euros/hr, ex VAT. You can do the maths. But Singer takes it to the next level: modding! And that takes a lot of additional time: trial fitting, discussing shapes etc. My experience is that nearly ALL owners want improvements done to their cars. In general you can add 45 - 100% extra time!

I don't have accurate numbers for the resto of a 911 engine, I do have them for a Jaguar 12 cyl engine. A total rebuild cost our clients 16,000 euros. No mods or special request involved.

I am sure that Singer makes a thick slice of bread ( simply translating a Dutch saying here) with with their cars AND they have their marketing up and running. But in general, I am not swepped off my feet when I read their prices.

Back to the 914: I can see the point of the OP trying to transfere the Singer's look and feel to the 914! Even without the improvements and just the looks, I think it will put a 914 in the spotlight.

Just do it!

Menno

agree.gif
It would take a lot of time & money to custom make an early 911 bumper & lower valence to fit the 914. Might look good on a flared car, but I doubt it would look good on a stock one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PemPidqObJ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihhFf-9wLHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJQ4hQSusjE
7TPorsh
Really like the glass mounted mirrors...are those custom, one of a kind?
Johny Blackstain
Holy fuchs! The guy behind Singer Automotive Design is Rob Dickinson, of "Catherine Wheel". On a side note I think those mirrors are exclusive to Singer, but I'm not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtTqR9oZX6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7E2rt_EF0A
Zimms
Someone made a Singer configurator. It's a quick way to burn an hour. Have fun!

Singer Configurator
Mueller
QUOTE(Zimms @ Aug 14 2015, 05:43 AM) *

Someone made a Singer configurator. It's a quick way to burn an hour. Have fun!

Singer Configurator

Holy smokes...that is impressive, neat to see the little changes between the different options...someone did a great job with that!
JmuRiz
am I missing something, I only see 4 options (coupe, targa, sport, touring) and a bunch of colors...
Maltese Falcon
I've seen some of their engines, and cylinder heads at my friends shop being dyno'd. ITB fuel injection =real cool, but some of their engines can not be sold to California clients.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Cylinder head blueprintingClick to view attachment
Sedonut
While you guys wax poetic over Singer "perfection". Please look at page 36 of the Road and Track article, it looks like a worn out turn signal switch and a nicked and repainted ignition key bezel. Look at the little buttons/lights above the radio, randomly spaced. Those are things you see and touch. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hermes of France will sell you a $50,000 purse. To any rational person is a purse worth $50,000? If you have money to piss away, well, piss away. The two young heirs to the Ecclestone formula 1 fortune went through 10 Billion in a few years from what I have read.
It would not surprise me if they had Hermes purses and Singers.
jd74914
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 13 2015, 01:47 PM) *

Back to the topic...I read in the past year or so that the Singer wiring harness is closer to $30k. Since it's all new, made specifically for the engine, accessories etc on the car.

Fancy stuff.

That actually doesn't seem super unreasonable for the level of effort going into the electrical system. The two main components (MoTeC PDM30 and Pectel SQ6M12 from their pictures) are ~13k if you were to go out and buy them. blink.gif wacko.gif I do wonder how much of the cost goes to amortizing their design time.

They certainly are pieces of art; perhaps even more so in the fact that they are unattainable for the general population.
stugray
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Aug 14 2015, 11:43 AM) *

I've seen some of their engines, and cylinder heads at my friends shop being dyno'd. ITB fuel injection =real cool, but some of their engines can not be sold to California clients.Click to view attachment

And that ugly spider web of 1/4 tubing answers one of my longstanding questions about ITBs - How to get MAP that adequately represents the system.
They must be bringing all of those lines to a central manifold where they measure the average MAP.
Must be necessary or I don't see them adding that much ugly to an otherwise beautifully simple layout. That thing is probably sensitive to RPM and needs to be "tuned" a bit like a header.

QUOTE(Sedonut @ Aug 14 2015, 12:40 PM) *

While you guys wax poetic over Singer "perfection". Please look at page 36 of the Road and Track article, it looks like a worn out turn signal switch and a nicked and repainted ignition key bezel. Look at the little buttons/lights above the radio, randomly spaced. Those are things you see and touch. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think that is part of the "vintage look" to implement "aged" parts - wink, wink...
And if you want authentic racing dash look, then you must put the labels on haphazardly.
Apparently no dash layout has ever been done in a vintage racecar using a straightedge.
Either they banned measuring devices in early shops, or labels were put on by a guy pushing the car to tech. :-)

QUOTE(Sedonut @ Aug 14 2015, 12:40 PM) *

If you have money to piss away, well, piss away. The two young heirs to the Ecclestone formula 1 fortune went through 10 Billion in a few years from what I have read.
It would not surprise me if they had Hermes purses and Singers.

We all make fun of obscene demonstrations of wealth, look at the family that just added their 80th viper to their personal car collection (Texas oil billionaire).

But just imagine if all of the rich people were all penny pinchers? How would the rest of us feel if they just sat & accumulated cash and never "spread it around".
I am sure Rob Dickinson has zero complaints about the eccentricity of his clients.
jd74914
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 14 2015, 02:45 PM) *

And that ugly spider web of 1/4 tubing answers one of my longstanding questions about ITBs - How to get MAP that adequately represents the system.
They must be bringing all of those lines to a central manifold where they measure the average MAP.
Must be necessary or I don't see them adding that much ugly to an otherwise beautifully simple layout. That thing is probably sensitive to RPM and needs to be "tuned" a bit like a header.

Yep, that's how map on ITB's is typically done (look at just about any 4 cylinder sport bike). I'm a little surprised that they are using a speed-density tune though. Most things with ITB's are tuned alpha-n (TPS) and then have a key-on barometric pressure correction.

The ugly aluminum tube maze looks to be replaced by nondescript black hose on their production motors.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 14 2015, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 14 2015, 02:45 PM) *

Yep, that's how map on ITB's is typically done (look at just about any 4 cylinder sport bike). I'm a little surprised that they are using a speed-density tune though. Most things with ITB's are tuned alpha-n (TPS) and then have a key-on barometric pressure correction.

The ugly aluminum tube maze looks to be replaced by nondescript black hose on their production motors.

That is basically how my ITBs are tapped for the MAP. However if it were up to me designing that set-up, I think I would have made it into what looked like an inboard fuel rail similar to the actual outboard fuel rail to compliment the aesthetics more.

I don't know what Singer uses for EFI management, but with Megasquirt (the system I use), you can use a percentage/ratio of both speed density and alpha-n simultaneously as a blend so get smooth acceleration and cruising. Not just one or the other since both ways have their own advantages under certain conditions.

Sadly, this is the only type of Singer I have. The treadle is dead reliable. av-943.gif

Click to view attachment

But I prefer to build my own cars anyway as that's a large part of the fun of car ownership to me.
stugray
Another in the news:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/15/porsche...-monterey-2015/

I have always hated that style targa bar, but I suppose I could be seen in that..

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.