Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EV from VW
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MSHax
I did a search, and got about 6 pages deep, and unless I missed it, still couldn't find any threads on this, which surprised me.

I'm thinking of doing an electric vehicle conversion on my 914. I have a running 1.7 carburated, and a spare injected 2.0, but an EV conversion is something I've wanted to do on some of my past cars. I did a quick search and found a guy selling a complete EV kit for less than $1000. It's for a VW Van, which I understand should bolt right up.

Any thoughts?
Anyone else do an EV, and I just can't find the thread?

(before you start flaming about speed/sound of exhaust/etc, my day-to-day vehicle is a suburban, and I'm the guy in front doing the speed limit)
JRust
QUOTE(MSHax @ Aug 12 2015, 09:16 AM) *

I did a search, and got about 6 pages deep, and unless I missed it, still couldn't find any threads on this, which surprised me.

I'm thinking of doing an electric vehicle conversion on my 914. I have a running 1.7 carburated, and a spare injected 2.0, but an EV conversion is something I've wanted to do on some of my past cars. I did a quick search and found a guy selling a complete EV kit for less than $1000. It's for a VW Van, which I understand should bolt right up.

Any thoughts?

(before you start flaming about speed/sound of exhaust/etc, my day-to-day vehicle is a suburban, and I'm the guy in front doing the speed limit)

I don't know that there are any threads on 914 for an EV conversion. I know there are some out there. 2 of them here locally for me. One of which is for sale. The other is Otmar's who has the dual electric motor's. Check out Café Electric (Otmar's site) & I'd ask him about that kit. There have been so many advance's with EV. Especially with the Lithium Batteries. You don't need 20 batteries in your 914 anymore to do EV. Still tough to build one with much distance without a charge. Not a big deal if you are just driving locally.
okieflyr
PM "eyecolor" He has an electric conversion that he's been working on and may be able to share some insights.
JawjaPorsche
There is an electric 914 for sale on Ebay. Maybe you can contact the owner and see if he has material?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Targa-...em=321825757478
MSHax
Am I correct in that the VW van trans mounts are the same bolt pattern as the porsche 914? If so then I can just buy this kit and give it a try.
barefoot
Look here:
https://914electric.wordpress.com/2011/03/18/take-the-heat/

Barefoot
914outlaw
And here

http://www.evalbum.com/3576

for info/ resources.
mepstein
Not much on world but lots of you google Porsche 914 electric conversion. I've looked into it and it seems you'll end up spending $12-20k to get it on the road. Too much for me if I compare it to a 6 or Suby conversion.
Mark Henry
Search function sucks here so google, type in 914world electric conversion

Anything I search for on the site I go to google and put 914world in front of my search words.
rodaboss

Any thoughts?

1973 Porsche 914 Electric Conversion - $7000 OBO
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/5165007028.html

mepstein
QUOTE(rodaboss @ Aug 12 2015, 04:23 PM) *

Any thoughts?

1973 Porsche 914 Electric Conversion - $7000 OBO
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/5165007028.html

If that was closer, I would probably buy it. 25 miles would get me to work and back.
914bub
QUOTE(MSHax @ Aug 12 2015, 10:31 AM) *

Am I correct in that the VW van trans mounts are the same bolt pattern as the porsche 914? If so then I can just buy this kit and give it a try.

Yes.if bolts to bus trans it'll bolt to your 914 trans.
JRust
Here is the one local to me for sale. I know the car well as I sold it to him. Then he did the EV conversion
http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/5162138748.html
bandjoey
The new lithium batteries are moldable. Several new hybrids are putting them in the spare tire wheel well. 'Public service announcement 14' biggrin.gif

Technology is moving if u want to pay the cost. It should be a blazing fast car!
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 12 2015, 04:02 PM) *

Here is the one local to me for sale. I know the car well as I sold it to him. Then he did the EV conversion
http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/5162138748.html

$24k for an EV 914? blink.gif

No thanks.
DBCooper
100 miles per charge? And "extremely fast"? I'll thrash him is a straight line and go 300 miles per tank for half that price. I really like the idea of EV's, but not for the extreme 914 weekend kind of kind of fun.

BK911
Couple more years and a battery the size of a cell phone will have enough power for a small car, take minutes to charge and last hours.
JRust
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 12 2015, 08:02 PM) *

100 miles per charge? And "extremely fast"? I'll thrash him is a straight line and go 300 miles per tank for half that price. I really like the idea of EV's, but not for the extreme 914 weekend kind of kind of fun.

I bet Otmar's dual electric motor car could beat you. That thing is scary fast. Also weighs over 3000lbs. Although I don't know if he has updated to newer batteries. Still I hear you for the price of doing one. I would go suby too but I am a little biased happy11.gif
DBCooper
So what's Otmar's range? Fifty miles? A hundred? That $7000 craigslist car is only 25 miles. Bet I'd thrash him from that point on, and make it all the way back home, too. By the way, I couldn't find any working links to Cafe Electric or Otmar, do you have one?

Oh, and torque's the key. I see a turbo in your future....

stugray
QUOTE(BK911 @ Aug 13 2015, 06:40 AM) *

Couple more years and a battery the size of a cell phone will have enough power for a small car, take minutes to charge and last hours.

If someone invented one today, do you think the govt. would allow it to be sold to the general public? - NO.

The problem is that battery energy density has already reached the point where a laptop battery carries almost as much energy as a small explosive.

If it gets much better, the govt will regulate who can have a battery of greater than: "X energy density". blink.gif

Once you can carry a house's full day's supply of power in a briefcase sized package, then energy theft will become a problem.
eyecolor
I drive mine to work most days and have fun.
It truly has its limitations and the 1000 kit must be missing a zero
Happy to correspond with you
My 914 did not have a working engine so my decision was easy

George

Any thoughts?

(before you start flaming about speed/sound of exhaust/etc, my day-to-day vehicle is a suburban, and I'm the guy in front doing the speed li
PThompson509
I bought my 914 specifically for conversion to EV - it's been something I've wanted to do for a looooong time (since mid 80s). I've been driving it for about 7 years now, and it is still fun. I do wish I had air conditioning and other fun things like that, but I'll survive. smile.gif

For an easy conversion, check out the HPEVS AC-51 motor - it has good pep, and will survive most of what you can throw at it without breaking the transmission.

As others have mentioned, check out www.evalbum.com - lots of examples there.

Word of warning: it will NOT be cheap.

Feel free to ask questions, either PM or here.
arkitect
I'm in agreement with Mike B., too expensive at this point in time.

I like the idea of them and could live with the short range but the cost is prohibitive to me....maybe in another five years or so.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.