Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 40 dcnf's or 40 IDA's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
my15window
I went to the vw classic today and saw all kinds of type4 upright turbo's. picked up a pair of 40 dcnfs. I have ida's I then went to redline's table"the weber distributer" and he said my IDF's were the "old style" and to not use either, buy the new IDF's becauese mine were 20-30 years old what do yoy guy's think? going in my 103, 78 crank motor...
Aaron Cox
cant you then buy the
"IDF update kit" ?

what is a dcnf, isnt that a cheap progressive carb?
i thougt you could only get ida 's in 48 mm or bigger
Aaron Cox
here check out this table from my WEBER carbeuretor book
my15window
dcnf's are a real desirable carb that gene berg uses on alot of bug hi-po motors it was used on alot of Italian sport cars too. I have them on my 57 oval 1776 and like them on that..
Aaron Cox
ict's are singlr barrel right?, it shows the dcnf on type 1's, but not typeIV's
my15window
ict's are like kadrons single barrel 40's.. so I guess nobody has run them on a type 4 I''ve always been a type 1 guy I saw about 1,000 air cooled cars today ,every type ever made,rearest models in the world.. not one 914... nothing like being the "bastard" of both worlds'!!!

mad.gif
Aaron Cox
hey, were you at the pomona swap? there were a grip of Aircooled cars there too! not a 1000, but a bunch
my15window
vw classic , largest vw show in the world ,people come from all ,over tons of japanese and germans buying cars and parts to ship back .Thats one reason ther were so many people at pomona, that was the start of about 8-10 shows this week in orange county CAL..
Joe Bob
A DCNF is a three bolt two barrel......popular back in the 70s.....don't see them much anymore.

I ran one as a single on an 1835, Type I. Great bottom end with an 010 dizzy.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mikez @ Jun 8 2003, 07:34 PM)
A DCNF is a three bolt two barrel......

WRONG! 4 bolts

The DCNF is hands down the best street cruiser carb going, A/F is perfect, runs great and pretty simple to work on.

BUT
I would never use them on a 914, you can get T4 manifolds etc. but they have a major problem with lateral G's.
You can get Berg to modify them with the better float valve etc. but they will still cut out going fast around corners and may lean out on long sweeping corners. A big ol’ bus, squareback or bug etc. they are great.

In the Massaratti's and European Ferrari's that this carb is originally made for, the carb was turned 90 degrees and never had these problems.

The IDF will never have perfect A/F etc. as the circuits are just drilled to big, but they do have a superior float set-up and seem to work “good enough” on the T4. Use the IDF update kit, Redline just wants you to buy new carbs.

No carb will ever be all-round perfect, that’s why on my teen I’ve decided to step up to the plate and go with programmable fuel injection.

My 2.0 T1 engine with Berg 42 DCNF specials.
fuch toy
Hmmmm, would it be the DCN?

Thye 70s were a blurry nightmare.....
TMorr
Between the IDF and the DCNF, the two were designed for installation perpendicular to each other.
IDF's ports were intended to be parallel to car centerline, DCNF's ports were designed to be perpendicular to car centerline.
This is why the float bowls need mods to run in the unintended direction.
It all has to do with the original design intent.
I think the DCNF's were designed for an old Ferrari V12, in line, with 6 DCNF's straddling the valley and one barrel feeding one cylinder each side of centerline.
That's why a single DCNF is good on T1 installs, same config.

I agree, DCNF is one of the best street carbs ever, compact, one - sturdy, bearing hung throttle shaft and equal port sizes. But would need the mods for off-axis installation.

Regards

Hayden PTBT
maf914
If you're actually going with 103 PCs and a 78 crank you'll end up with 2.6 liters. From everything I've read I don't think 40 IDFs are going to be big enough. You might want to post this over on STF Type4rum for some recommendations. Most people seem to prefer 44 IDFs when going over 2 liters, especially in a performance build.

Mike
Mark Henry
Mike is right,
you should go with 44's with that size maybe even 48mm would be OK

IDA's are better for racing, but for that price you're into PEFI territory.
driving.gif
my15window
I was worried you would say that, guess I"ll sell both sets on E-bay, weber just re- issued the48 IDA's but I here those arn't to streetable thanks for the input
Aaron Cox
what do you call "streetable"..? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.