Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 74 911 targa I got a call to look at
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay looking for some input on where to look for rust. As well as anything else I should be looking for. This lady parked it in her barn 15 years ago because of a burnt valve she didn't have the money to fix. In 74 would that be a 2.2 or a 2.4 or ?With it sitting so long at the very least the motor needs gone through. Fuel lines replaced. It was repainted white but think it was green originally. I called her a little while ago. She's pretty busy so it will be next week before I will probably get to take a look at it. I have a pretty good feel for 914's on value. I don't know jack about 911 value's. Especially Targa's confused24.gif So if you have actual experience with them. I'd appreciate your input biggrin.gif
Larmo63
Go look on the Pelican board. I think there are a few listed there from good to bad.
MikeM
If it's a 74 it will have a 2.7 liter. Those engines had lots of problems from running too hot. Pulled head studs is the big one. Google 2.7 911 problems. They can be made to be great motors but it could be expensive. Good luck.
Mike
porschetub
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 13 2015, 10:54 AM) *

Okay looking for some input on where to look for rust. As well as anything else I should be looking for. This lady parked it in her barn 15 years ago because of a burnt valve she didn't have the money to fix. In 74 would that be a 2.2 or a 2.4 or ?With it sitting so long at the very least the motor needs gone through. Fuel lines replaced. It was repainted white but think it was green originally. I called her a little while ago. She's pretty busy so it will be next week before I will probably get to take a look at it. I have a pretty good feel for 914's on value. I don't know jack about 911 value's. Especially Targa's confused24.gif So if you have actual experience with them. I'd appreciate your input biggrin.gif

If it has impact bumpers its the first of the 2.7 motors,if it was a 73 model but sold in 74 it will be a 2.4 ,both motors are expensive to repair but the 2.4 is less prone to all the issues that go with the mag case 2.7's.
Pelican has a wealth of info on the 2.7 issues,they can be very expensive to overhaul many consider going to a 3.0 for this reason.
Hopefully she won't be fully aware of the value and you need to be very aware you are buying a non-running car that hasn't moved for 15yrs,the CIS injection on these cars can require a full rebuild just to get you running and then you add motor repairs to the mix and all of a sudden you have spent 10k ++++.
IMO the 911 hides rust better than the 914,you need to really go over it closely,good luck
scotty b
front suspension pan is #1 place to look. Poke at it with a screwdriver. Then the floors, rockers, bottom of the front and rear glass, jack points, door jamb etc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.