Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chalon Project need feedback !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beakster
I have a chance to pick up a 914 with a chalon kit on it ... Now it has a 2.0 eng But it doesn't turn over (seized) and I would have to spend the $$$ rebuilding it .. .. I have a 83 930 3.3 Turbo Euro Eng and 930 Turbo 4sp trans that I have spent big bucks on in another 911 project .. Now the 914 has had the 911 upgrades to the suspension with 5 bolt and cross drilled rotors .. BUT What other ???'s should I be asking the owner about the car .. Also Now I'm stuck wondering if I should fix the 2.0 or try to put the turbo in the 914 .. This is an area that Have never been .. So I need help .. What would you do .. ?? Thanks
stownsen914
Do some searches here on the forum for rust repair on 914s. This is a big issue on many 914s. Chances are the car you are looking at will have (or have had) at least some rust - the question is whether it has been repaired, and whether it was done well. Also, see if it has the later side shifter transmission. They shift better than the early ones.
mepstein
What I would do, is not pay over a grand for the car!
The rest is up to you.
smile.gif

welcome.png
Stacks914
What mepstein said!
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png
If you like the Chalon kit & the car is not dying of cancer I say go for it. Putting a turbo anything into a 914 can be done, but it's not easy. Don't think I'd care for a 4 speed though & most of us here don't care for the Chalon kit either.
carr914
I would pass. I don't hate Chalks but I would not go the expense of putting a 911 drive train into one
Beakster
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 13 2015, 01:28 PM) *

I would pass. I don't hate Chalks but I would not go the expense of putting a 911 drive train into one

Chalks ?? What do you mean ?
JmuRiz
Chalon Kits
Beakster
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 13 2015, 02:44 PM) *

Chalon Kits
Thanks for the info ... I'm learning the World of 914's
damesandhotrods
If the time ever comes that you want to move on, the Chalon will be harder to sell than a plain 914. The Chalon Kits also have a bit of a reputation for being used to replace bent sheet metal, so on top of all of the rust issues; you will want to pay close attention for accident damage…
matthepcat
chalon kit's are to 914's as fiberglass turbo slant nose kits are to 911's.
Beakster
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Aug 13 2015, 02:53 PM) *

If the time ever comes that you want to move on, the Chalon will be harder to sell than a plain 914. The Chalon Kits also have a bit of a reputation for being used to replace bent sheet metal, so on top of all of the rust issues; you will want to pay close attention for accident damage…

YES ... that's what I'm being told They were mostly used to cover up a damage problem then to fix it ... " Something like polishing a turd .. No matter how much polishing you do you still have a turd .. "
The guy has reassure me that there is no structural damage or rust issues ..
Beakster
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 13 2015, 03:00 PM) *

chalon kit's are to 914's as fiberglass turbo slant nose kits are to 911's.
Replied to your ???'s ..
barefoot
Well I know it's blasphemy, but i kinda like the look.
Mine must have been done long ago as the longs where crud builds up near the jack points was nonexistent, the whole body save for rear edge of rear trunk and small area around hell hole was pristine.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Beakster
QUOTE(barefoot @ Aug 13 2015, 03:58 PM) *

Mine must have been done long ago as the longs where crud builds up near the jack points was nonexistent, the whole body save for rear edge of rear trunk and small area around hell hole was pristine.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That looks Sweeet !! to me ..
carr914
QUOTE(Beakster @ Aug 13 2015, 03:44 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 13 2015, 01:28 PM) *

Chalks ?? What do you mean ?

Must have been my phone spell checker - I know I typed in Chalon!
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(barefoot @ Aug 13 2015, 02:58 PM) *

Is that thing 4 wheel drive? aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment
JRust
A nice chalon I don't mind at all. I wouldn't have a problem owning one. Problem is I haven't seen very many I would consider nice sad.gif . The pics of the red one above looks damn good to me
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(barefoot @ Aug 13 2015, 04:58 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cool wheels what're they from?

not a big chalon fan but that car looks sweet

cjl
barefoot
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Aug 14 2015, 12:50 AM) *

QUOTE(barefoot @ Aug 13 2015, 04:58 PM) *

cool wheels what're they from?

not a big chalon fan but that car looks sweet

cjl

Don't know source of wheels, they were on when I got it.
Barefoot
infraredcalvin
I've got a non intercooled early turbo. I just did a top end reseal and while on the stand it was sitting next to my 914, makes me wish I had a spare early turbo engine to stuff in the 914, that would be a fun car!

The intercooler is going to be a lot of custom fab work, they also require a lot of air for cooling. You'll be dumping a lot of effort and $$$ just to get the turbo to work well.

The red Chalon looks nice, although I'd remove the rear spoiler...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.