Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cant shift into 4th or 5th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Working on Claytons root beer car and it wont shift into 4th or 5th, the clutch is way too loose and it needs some adjustments. I crawl under it today to check it out and see if I can fix it and low and behold, look what I find. Gimme about 15 minutes and Iwill have this puppy shifting like new again. Then the car will be ready for sale.

Type 4
Yep thats not so good.
Call me.
wrpspddrvr
So what are we looking at here? I assume that rod with the boot on it is the guilty party? It looks like it's rubbing on that hole. Maybe there should have been a bushing there?
I'm lost.... unsure.gif wacko.gif

Cole monkeydance.gif
phantom914
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ Mar 1 2005, 10:37 AM)
So what are we looking at here? I assume that rod with the boot on it is the guilty party? It looks like it's rubbing on that hole. Maybe there should have been a bushing there?
I'm lost.... unsure.gif wacko.gif

Cole monkeydance.gif

Yes, there should be a bushing there in the firewall to locate the shift rod.

Andrew
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Mar 1 2005, 01:43 PM)
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ Mar 1 2005, 10:37 AM)
I'm lost.... unsure.gif  :wacko:

Cole monkeydance.gif

Yes, there should be a bushing there in the firewall to locate the shift rod.

Andrew

Sweet! Mom was right, I AM perfect! biggrin.gif

Cole monkeydance.gif
skline
Well, it was more than just the bushing missing, what you cant see in the picture is the bushing that goes in the swiveljoint. You cant see it cause it aint there. They had fallen out. Fortunately, they were inside the boot and I was able to squeeze them back in with a large pair of channel locks. I am almost done fixing the shifter between phone calls and then I will adjust the clutch so it works smoothly. Then I will take it for a drive and see how she does. Clayton was here the other day and we changed out the plugs, wires, points and condenser on it and got it running pretty good. It still has a weak injector. If anyone local has a good 2 liter injector sitting around, let me know. I only need one.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 1 2005, 11:50 AM)
Well, it was more than just the bushing missing, what you cant see in the picture is the bushing that goes in the swiveljoint. You cant see it cause it aint there. They had fallen out. Fortunately, they were inside the boot and I was able to squeeze them back in with a large pair of channel locks. I am almost done fixing the shifter between phone calls and then I will adjust the clutch so it works smoothly. Then I will take it for a drive and see how she does. Clayton was here the other day and we changed out the plugs, wires, points and condenser on it and got it running pretty good. It still has a weak injector. If anyone local has a good 2 liter injector sitting around, let me know. I only need one.

scott... good to see you actually get work done....

PS.... i got your reinf. plates in my car..... when do you need them?
skline
As soon as you can get them here. I have nobody calling me for support so I am working on the cars every chance I get. Like now, the rootbeer car should be done in about an hour and ready to go. The white car is in the middle of getting all new PR seals and valve adjust. Then I will change out the filter and add oil,(The right amount) and then install the rear sway bar. Once that is down I can install the 2 liter HE's and muffler and then drive it. So as soon as you can get them here, I can weld them in.
914GT
Is it a pain in the a$$ to get that boot back on the firewall, or is it just me?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (914GT @ Mar 1 2005, 12:25 PM)
Is it a pain in the a$$ to get that boot back on the firewall, or is it just me?

i had a hard time with it too.... use a cotter pin extractor... works gud ohmy.gif wink.gif
skline
QUOTE (914GT @ Mar 1 2005, 11:25 AM)

Nope, its not just you, it is a royal pain. If you have skinny fingers it wouldnt be too bad, but if you suffer from Fat fingers, its a biatch.
skline
Oh, by the way, the car is now done, I drove it and can get all 5 gears and reverse, what an amazing thing. The car runs and drives pretty good. Pretty strong too. We are trying to find an injector and it should run really good after that. The car gets second gear scratch if you drive it just right. I think it needs shocks on the passenger rear and drivers front. The other two seem firm. Makes for some funny handling. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.