Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's a Better Eng 2.0 or 1.7 ? New info !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beakster
Hey Guys .. I really don't know much about the Porsche 4 cyl engines I have two to pick from to go into a 914 .. The 2.0 has new pistons ,44 webers on it and headers , but was told it needs a bigger cam .. But the engine has been sitting for 5 years and the guy told me it won't turn over . I don't know what kinda power I can get from it .. The other eng is a 1.7 which the guy told me that he has done a ton of work to the eng new pistons and barrels ,heads ,intakes, oil cooler, new crane electronic Ignition system with new ceramic wires and plugs, blaster II coil , new gaskets and push rod tubs .. The dual weber have been rebuilt and have had a bunch of work done to it ..he told me it has as much power as the 2.0 .. is it possible .. So I'm in the middle of a the 2.0 needing to be rebuilt or the 1.7 already done but what kind a power for a 4 cyl .. Your comments and feedback are very much welcome Thanks biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
2.0 has more power all things being equal.
ehokana
2.0 will also be the more desirable for the most part. Having had both, there is a noticeable difference between them- not that either is what I would call a "powerful" motor
Hank914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 13 2015, 08:59 PM) *

2.0 has more power all things being equal.

agree.gif

I think the 2.0 is the most powerful 4cyl, with the 1.7 the least, except for maybe the CA 1.8? I have a 1.7 but kinda wish I had a 2.0. Maybe after a few miles I'll need a rebuild and can upgrade to a 2.0. But if a Subi engine pencils out, maybe I'll do that. The great thing about these cars, the engine choices are endless.
Stacks914
I have both and neither run real good. av-943.gif
damesandhotrods
The 2.0 Litre was good for about a 10.3 second 0 to 60 mph and a 16.3 second quarter mile time at 83 mph. The 1.7 Litre was good for about a 13.9 0 to 60 mph and a 19.2 second quarter mile time at 70 mph. According to Road & Track back in the day…
ehokana
Better buckle up with mind-blowing numbers like that! av-943.gif
johannes
The 2.0 has more value in parts alone.
Mark Henry
Mechanical wise the 1,7 case will have less wear, although the 1.7 did have dropped seat issues if the heads were full of mouse nests and got hot.

A 2.0 that "needs a bigger cam", that's a full engine tear down and I'd be very careful because it might be a VW bus (van) engine and it will have no more power than the 1.7.
A true 914 2.0 will have 3 bolt heads, that's intake manifold bolts.
MSHax
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Aug 13 2015, 11:23 PM) *

The 2.0 Litre was good for about a 10.3 second 0 to 60 mph and a 16.3 second quarter mile time at 83 mph. The 1.7 Litre was good for about a 13.9 0 to 60 mph and a 19.2 second quarter mile time at 70 mph. According to Road & Track back in the day…

That's a decent bump! When I bougt my car it came with a carbureted 1.7 in it, and a fuel injected 2.0 that the previous owner was planning on putting in. I was toying with the idea of doing an electric conversion but I think I'm past that. I think I might put this 2.0 in after all.

Not sure about you beakster, but I think I've figured out which engine I'm putting in tongue.gif

Edt:
On that note, is there a good reference for identifying these engines? Since they look nearly identical, theoretically beakster and I could be look at van engines and not know. Just because the guy told me the spare is a Porsche 2.0, doesn't mean it is.
rhodyguy
Better? The one that runs the best.
SLITS
QUOTE(MSHax @ Aug 14 2015, 07:09 AM) *

On that note, is there a good reference for identifying these engines? Since they look nearly identical, theoretically beakster and I could be look at van engines and not know. Just because the guy told me the spare is a Porsche 2.0, doesn't mean it is.

If it is a bus engine, it will have 4 bolt heads. All you need is the case identification to know whether it is a bus engine. Also, the dipstick will not be in the 914 location unless drilled by the PO. There is a boss on the lower right hand side of the case for an oil dipstick tube if it is a bus engine. If covered by a plate, it is probably a bus case. If not drilled out, it is probably a 914 case.
MSHax
Thank you Slits,
after I posted that I knew I had better do some serious searching. I found a couple great references that I think will help Beakster as well.

I found a post on Pelican parts that shows where the engine code should be
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/How_to_buy_a_914.htm
but their idetification thing made little sense since it wasn't related at all to the engine code, it was by year/make/model.

That's when I found this handy little table
http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/eng-codes.htm

SO...Learn from others mistakes. When I bought my car I was told that the engine in the car was a 914, 1.7 liter. And that the spare engine was a porsche 914 2.0 liter. As it turns out, I have 2 Porsche 1.7 liter engines.

I personally didn't care since I wasn't planning on using either of the engines anyway, but now that I know, it'll help me look like less of an idiot when I go to sell one of them.

Check those out when you're shopping Beakster

EDIT:
OK, now let's add this to the list
http://www.bigporsche.com/history914w.htm
FULL engine code identification

I now know that I have a 1970 Porsche Fuel Injected (originally) 1.7 in my car running, and a 1971 porsche fuel injected 1.7 on my stand.

Thanks for posting this question, I don't know about you, but I feel like a truly learned something valuable this morning. biggrin.gif
Beakster
This is the guy with the 914 that has the 1.7 eng .. I had a chance to talk to the guy with the 1.7 and he told me that he has done a ton of work to the eng new pistons and barrels ,heads ,intakes, oil cooler, new crane electronic Ignition system with new ceramic wires and plugs, blaster II coil , new gaskets and push rod tubs .. The dual weber have been rebuilt and have had a bunch of work done to it .. The Car has been garage kept and he tells me there isn't any rust .. The car has 911 5 bolt suspension added and has been primed ready for paint .. Now he asking $6000.00 OBO Dose this sound like a good deal ??

Again ... THANKS! guys for your feedback I love reading everyone's views on the subject ... Keep them coming...
MSHax
QUOTE(Beakster @ Aug 14 2015, 07:51 AM) *

This is the guy with the 914 that has the 1.7 eng .. I had a chance to talk to the guy with the 1.7 and he told me that he has done a ton of work to the eng new pistons and barrels ,heads ,intakes, oil cooler, new crane electronic Ignition system with new ceramic wires and plugs, blaster II coil , new gaskets and push rod tubs .. The dual weber have been rebuilt and have had a bunch of work done to it .. The Car has been garage kept and he tells me there isn't any rust .. The car has 911 5 bolt suspension added and has been primed ready for paint .. Now he asking $6000.00 OBO Dose this sound like a good deal ??

Again ... THANKS! guys for your feedback I love reading everyone's views on the subject ... Keep them coming...

Sounds like a great deal to me. And as far as the engine goes, if you read the spec that damesandhotrods posted, true there is a decent bump in speed from the 1.7 to the 2.0, but they're both slow, so it REALLY doesn't matter. From the sounds of what the guy has done, that 1.7 would be ideal for someone new to the game, that way it's already done, and you don't have to spend your first year of ownership learning how to make it run. tongue.gif
Beakster
The only problem that I can't stand is that banging VW sound .. Once you drive a 911 with a 6cyl it's very hard to go to a 4cyl .. I'm still thinking too about putting my 930 turbo 3.3 and Turbo 930 4sp in it too .. But other guys from other sites are telling me it's too much work and too costly ..
76-914

NO RUST 914 FOUND IN CANADA news a 5pm. shades.gif
blackmoon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 14 2015, 08:33 AM) *

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
must be southern canada eh? smoke.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 14 2015, 08:33 AM) *

I'm sure he meant La Canada, CA
JmuRiz
Even a not rusty car has rust...just ask ScottyB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.