Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 Conversion Heat Exchanger Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gcrotvik
Can I use the new 914/6 heat exchangers from Stoddard on a 74 2.7 motor in my 6 conversion? Do the OE exchangers for a 2.0 fit on a 2.7?

Thanks

Greg
Cairo94507
Yes you can. However, I understand there may be fitment issues with the new heat exchangers. One of our members bought a set and discovered the issue when he went to install them. He alerted Stoddard and they were going to correct the problem. I would check that out thoroughly before you plop down $3K. But aside from that, they should be fine.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 14 2015, 06:58 AM) *

Yes you can. However, I understand there may be fitment issues with the new heat exchangers. One of our members bought a set and discovered the issue when he went to install them. He alerted Stoddard and they were going to correct the problem. I would check that out thoroughly before you plop down $3K. But aside from that, they should be fine.

Thank you!
SLITS
I run them on a '76 2.7L. I have run them on a 2.4L MFI engine also (both are repaired used ones ... OEM.

The cost of them is outta sight.
GeorgeRud
The originals fit fine on my 2.7.
Larry.Hubby
The originals work fine up to 3.2 motors. Difficult as that may be to believe, dyno testing by Jerry Woods has shown only about a 5hp penalty vs stock from the small (1 3/8") primary tubes on the stock 914-6 HEs when used with a 3.2 motor, and mid-range response is actually improved. The Stoddard reproductions are better than the originals (or will be once they resolve the fitment issues) in two ways: the primary tubes are stainless instead of mild steel, and the tubes are larger (1.5" vs 1 3/8") and so are the same size as the factory HEs on the 3.0 and 3.2 motors. I know because I ordered a set too, and sent them back because they didn't fit, just like toolguy, but not before I measured the diameter of the primaries.
racerx9146
Originals bolt right on my 3.6. I am sure it is not ideal I like heat in Winter and the torque is incredible! If am losing power it's not a lot.
Cairo94507
Actually that makes me feel a lot better. I was concerned about putting stock heat exchangers on my 3,2 but if you are running them on a 3,6 I will be good to go for sure.
Perry Kiehl Clone
The often referenced FI to carb 215hp 3.0 in Bruce Anderson's book was actually for a 914-6 and the exhaust used was factory 6 heat exchangers. They are designed really well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.