Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! 930 3.3 Turbo eng & 4 sp Swap ? Need info ..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beakster
This may sound silly but Has any body put in a 930 3.3 turbo eng and 930 4sp trans into a 914 .. I have extra 930 running brakes cross drilled rotors.. I was being told that it is a ton of work and $$$ and not worth the time or cost .. But I'm having a hard time accepting that 4cyl VW sound .. I'm hopping to find someone who has done this job and can school me better then just telling me DON'T do it ..
Love to hear any feedback on what to do ... Thanks Again Guys
Bruce Hinds
Who's telling you not to do it?

You have the engine and trans, that's the big cost . . . do it. You won't be sorry.

Spoke
I've wondered what the 914 would be like with a 930 drivetrain. When the turbo kicks in above 3k RPM, you're pushed back in your seat like an empty 747 taking off.

You'll need wider rear tires. smile.gif
AZ914
Search on member IAMCHAPPY. He has the turbo at least wink.gif
Its been done before. Axels and C/V will have to be changed.
Rear 930 caliper has to have a custom bracket to attach.
Front should bold on if you have the correct struts, otherwise bolt on the 930 ones.
Trans R/P needs to be flipped and linkage has to be fab.
You will have one H.. of a ride. ....oh upgrade to a 21 mm M/C...as you will need to stop.
Oh, one more thing, you will need to run a spacer between the wheel and caliper to clear it or mill the fins to clear the wheels. Another option is contact RaceTechnologies for a set of 993 Twin Turbo brakes.....I know someone that went that route. ..approximate cost for brake & rotors... $4000+.
Speed is not cheap.
Chris H.
Yes, whoever is telling you that has never driven one (not that I have either biggrin.gif ). iamchappy's orange beast is the gold standard of six conversions. Don't recall the gearbox as others have said but whatever's in there seems to work.

Build thread:

chappy build thread

Certainly not easy at all but I doubt you'd every hear him say it was "not worth the time or cost". The good news is you already have some of the expensive parts.

Post #585 from 2011 states:

"My car kinda scares me....sure got my heart pumping tonight. I wanted to check the boost pressure but had my hands full and didn't dare take my eyes off the road...."

Actually posts 561 on are pretty good. His giddiness increases as he turns up the boost.
Mark Henry
930 trans is hard to flip, you either will need to do a bunch of welding and machining to the case to flip the diff or the other option is to run the trans upside down. Of course that would also need mods.
Both would need custom mounts and a shifter set-up.

Each custom 930 gear set from G-box is about $2000.

If anyone needs any 930 trans parts let me know biggrin.gif
whitetwinturbo
...........I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning

beer.gif apologies to all Hollywood types here..... beer.gif
brant
the biggest expense left if the trans rebuilding and flipping...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.