Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo charge the Porsche 2.0 ?.. Thoughts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beakster
I'm been told to KISS IT ... keep it simple stupid ... I'm better off with taking the 4cyl 2.0 and bore it and putting a turbo on it .. or even going to the VW Turbo engs It would just be an easier job to pull the engine beef it up and put it back in then to look at another big project and more big time dough($$$) on putting the Turbo 3.3 eng and 4sp trans in the 914 .. Anyone around that has Turbo the 2.0? could use some help on this one .... Thanks !
messix
you can't turbo a 914...... shades.gif
Hank914
QUOTE(Beakster @ Aug 14 2015, 05:35 PM) *

I'm been told to KISS IT ... keep it simple stupid ... I'm better off with taking the 4cyl 2.0 and bore it and putting a turbo on it .. or even going to the VW Turbo engs It would just be an easier job to pull the engine beef it up and put it back in then to look at another big project and more big time dough($$$) on putting the Turbo 3.3 eng and 4sp trans in the 914 .. Anyone around that has Turbo the 2.0? could use some help on this one .... Thanks !

piratenanner.gif

It can be done!

Don't believe the haters!!

Even Porsche did a 911 turbo once, in the 80's I think. Maybe...

So a 914 Turbo can be done. It's just waiting for the right guy to do it!

You!
Mike Bellis
Contact McMark. He has a 1.7 turbo and has been developing a kit.
messix
here's the thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...54&hl=turbo

and you might be better off using the 1.7 for this
mgp4591
From talking to Mark, you can't throw a lot of boost at it because it's air cooled and detonation is a huge problem. Mark doesn't run big pressure but his hp is better than stock- it depends on how much power you want. You're not gonna be anywhere near what a Subaru 4 cylinder is in stock form, not to mention with a mild tune. If you're looking for 150 hp or more you need to look elsewhere... Oh, and welcome.png !!
Cairo94507
Drop a six in it and call it a day.
Mueller
Another turbo /4 below.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...71&hl=turbo

There are at least half a dozen running around...even one using CIS fuel injection which I think your 930 motor uses.

JmuRiz
That turbo 3.3 and trans is worth some money.
You could always sell it to the 911/930 crowd and get a sweet /6 engine to put in the 914.

Sounds like your heart is set on turbo power.
damesandhotrods
What are your honest plans for the car? How deep are your pockets, and how much to you value your time?

Do you just want to drive to work on sunny days and weekends in the country? Do you want to lock yourself in the garage with a project for the next few years? If you are going to autocross or track the car you’re probably going to run into a rule book that should be read first. Are you out to blow minds at the local cars and coffee?
infraredcalvin
Water/meth injection...
Chris H.
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 14 2015, 08:09 PM) *

Aw man.... YOU GOT TO SAY IT biggrin.gif! So rare these days.

Yeah if you want to build one call McMark. He's beat on his 1.7t for quite a while. If you want to buy one already done there is no better deal than that 2.5L car in the classifieds. I see McMark and Jake Raby referenced in the ad...
MSHax
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 14 2015, 06:09 PM) *

You can turbo anything, the question is how much work are you willing to do. I turbo charged way too many things; motorcycles, minivans, even my VW 1600 powered lawn mower.
Chris914n6
A built 2.0ish will make more power than a turbo 1.7, it won't like the boost pressures needed to keep up.

What are you starting with, a 2.0?
jcd914
If you have the time & money and the 3.3 Turbo, look at iamcappy's build, it is amazing.

iamchappy Turbo

Jim
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 15 2015, 12:38 AM) *

If you have the time & money and the 3.3 Turbo, look at iamcappy's build, it is amazing.

iamchappy Turbo

Jim

agree.gif If you have a six sitting on the bench I wouldn't even consider a /4.
tango
Here is what I did. I wanted no cutting to the shell at all. The turbo on the drivers side infront of the axle. I just reworked it a little more to add a ducted IC rather than water/air IC since that would involve water and pipework etc etc.

I like tuning/tweaking and fab work (and testing out the results) and have my own AC TIG but it could be simplified and done with MIG only.

I am running a very mild cam, gives great off idle response until the boost takes over and is also less stress on the valve train. My turbo is a smaller GT28R but seems a great match for street. Cheaper T3/4s will do similar I believe, or a plain non ball bearing GT28.

There is no need to go with the equal length curly header. Improving the exh valve flow should help, ditch the Sodium valves. There is also no need for extreme valve springs; keep the valve train light instead if possible. I use MS2 (3 module waiting to be fitted) for control including boost. Be cautious tuning on stock pistons, they wont take much knock but the low STD CR is OK for low boost, add copper head gaskets (gasp!) for more boost.

Even 7psi will feel amazing and you wont need an IC for that.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

MSHax
QUOTE(tango @ Aug 15 2015, 07:08 AM) *

Here is what I did. I wanted no cutting to the shell at all. The turbo on the drivers side infront of the axle. I just reworked it a little more to add a ducted IC rather than water/air IC since that would involve water and pipework etc etc.

I like tuning/tweaking and fab work (and testing out the results) and have my own AC TIG but it could be simplified and done with MIG only.

I am running a very mild cam, gives great off idle response until the boost takes over and is also less stress on the valve train. My turbo is a smaller GT28R but seems a great match for street. Cheaper T3/4s will do similar I believe, or a plain non ball bearing GT28.

There is no need to go with the equal length curly header. Improving the exh valve flow should help, ditch the Sodium valves. There is also no need for extreme valve springs; keep the valve train light instead if possible. I use MS2 (3 module waiting to be fitted) for control including boost. Be cautious tuning on stock pistons, they wont take much knock but the low STD CR is OK for low boost, add copper head gaskets (gasp!) for more boost.

Even 7psi will feel amazing and you wont need an IC for that.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Great Work! Looks amazing! Thanks for posting this, it really helps to visualize how its possible
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(MSHax @ Aug 14 2015, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Aug 14 2015, 06:09 PM) *

You can turbo anything, the question is how much work are you willing to do. I turbo charged way too many things; motorcycles, minivans, even my VW 1600 powered lawn mower.

We have an IHI turbo Creeper at our shop, not as tight as in a 914 aktion035.gif Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
I've driven McMark's 1.7L turbo and it feels stronger than a stock 2.0. I would guess a 2.0 liter turbo would be equivalently stronger than a 2.0L.
I don't think McMark will kit this. But if you can write checks, I'd bet he'd build yours for you... driving.gif
matthepcat
It would be way cheaper to just buy this one for sale:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=257971

rhodyguy
No doubt.
Beakster
Yes... if I had $15,000.00 US right now .. The 914 Im looking at is a 73 with 2.0 that was rebuilt with new pistons , dual 44 webers , full advance distributor ,and headers But the car has been sitting for 6 years and won't turn over and I don't know how it is for rust .. But he only wanting $2500.00 too .. That gives me a lot of extra $$$ to fix ...
thelogo
O thought turbos superchargeing was for high altitude

Use

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/engines/t...gers-16798.html

If I was gonna do it I'd just go with a Subaru turbo

Or a Mitsubishi 3000gt turbo motor

But type 4 turbo ?

Just seems pointless to me .

And in regards to that 15 k car

Remember buy the best car you can afford

Not the broke down one for 2500 that you'll end up spending north of 15 on and years on jackstands beer3.gif
thelogo
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5099550881.html

Food for thought

icon_bump.gif fish food

I just don't get the appeal

But then again I think the coolest motor in the world is

A straight 6

http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/classic-tvr-cerbera.htm
Beakster
I sure like Tango's set up ... That is sweeeeeet ... I'm trying to find out more info on what he did ... All nice an tucked away not all cut up to make it fit .. cheer.gif
rtalich
My opinion. Don't do it if you actually want to sell the car for what it's actually worth!! I'm seriously thinking about swapping motors back to a stock motor just so I can sell the car!! Then parting out the turbo motor. I really did not think I'd have such a tough time selling the car with such a kick ass motor.
914werke
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 15 2015, 08:56 AM) *
I've driven McMark's 1.7L turbo and it feels stronger than a stock 2.0.
Ehhh .. dry.gif So have I and I think you need to drive a well sorted 2.0L again.
No disrespect to Marks work, just the the torque you get from the added stroke & displacement (2056?), + the simplicity of NA, hard to beat that value.
Beakster
QUOTE(rtalich @ Aug 16 2015, 01:41 PM) *

My opinion. Don't do it if you actually want to sell the car for what it's actually worth!! I'm seriously thinking about swapping motors back to a stock motor just so I can sell the car!! Then parting out the turbo motor. I really did not think I'd have such a tough time selling the car with such a kick ass motor.

Yea I hear ya .. You Got a Sweet Car .... I did the same thing with a 78 911 traga that I turn into a 993 turbo speedster .. 10 years latter and $50,000.00 poorer .. there she sits NO intrest or repleys to buy .. I can't even sell it for half of what I have invested and that's just gathering and installing Not the countless hours put into the PROJECT.. Now I'm at the point of selling the Moter and trans and then the roller.. To get some $$$ back...
You may have to do the same .. Some guys look more at the price then try to compare it to a standerd 914 .. So they can't justify the $15,000.00 your asking .. I FEEL for ya !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.