Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for some 96.0mm cylinders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lonewolfe
I'm looking for 96.0mm cylinders and have basically found them at EMW for $200 a set.
AA pistons for $179 (out of stock for 2-3 weeks), DRD for $300 a set(from Japan) and finally QSC for $106. There's quite a price range for these. I imagine the first 3 are made in China and are perhaps all the same. I don't know if the DRD's are superior or not. What type cylinders have you used successfully? Any feedback is appreciated!
Alphaogre
After just going through all this research and upgrading to 96mm pistons, I ended up with Keith Black pistons from DRD.

It will really come down to what you plan to do with the motor and what you are working with. Everyone I talked to, which included shops and retailers, the AA pistons are fine if you are just driving around and not pushing the engine to hard. From what I understand their tolerances are not as tight and there can be some QC issues.

Since I am planning to do AX and TT events, I was advised to not use any of the AA stuff and look into JE forged pistons. Since I was working with a 1.7 this meant I was going to have to do a custom order. This was longer and just a bit more expensive then I was looking to do.

The guys at DRD were the ones that advised to go with the Keith black pistons, and they make the jug with the piston with a much closer tolerance than the AA kit. They mentioned that I really didn't the need a forged piston until you get to around 40 hp per cylinder. And I'm not planning to build the motor much bigger then the jug/piston swap.

I posted the narrowed down options on my thread here.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...259705&st=0

Mueller
Who is DRD?
lonewolfe
drdracingheads.com
StratPlayer
I had a pair of OEM cylinders bored out to 96mm then I used keith black pistons with hastings rings.
Mark Henry
I wouldn't use anything but the KB (or JE) pistons.
lonewolfe
I failed to state that I already have a set of JE pistons. I'm only looking for the cylinders.
stugray
Have some stock 94s bored to 96.
mbseto
Anyone ever tried motorcycle cylinders?
lonewolfe
Bumping this back up with hopefully better weekday response. What 96.0mm cylinders have you used and recommend?
TheCabinetmaker
Your looking for a better answer? You've already got the best answers. Keith black pistons. Bored OEM cylinders.
colingreene
i think the EMW cyls are made in india?
Call him and ask. they have been fine in my car....
Mueller
QUOTE(mbseto @ Aug 16 2015, 11:04 AM) *

Anyone ever tried motorcycle cylinders?

I would think the odds of finding cylinders that meet all the dimensional requirements would be fairly low unless one is looking for some really oddball combo.

Not a totally insane question, however since cylinders and pistons are so easily available unless one has access to said MC cylinders or lives in a 3rd world country with no access to new parts, I don't see anyone doing this.

Mueller
QUOTE(colingreene @ Aug 20 2015, 04:33 AM) *

i think the EMW cyls are made in India?
Call him and ask. they have been fine in my car....

Not trying to get too OT

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/26/nyregion...nhole.html?_r=0

Casting parts in India....
lonewolfe
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 20 2015, 03:57 AM) *

Your looking for a better answer? You've already got the best answers. Keith black pistons. Bored OEM cylinders.

I already have a new set of JE Pistons and I don't have any stock 2.0 cylinders to bore out. I want to buy a set of new 96.0 cylinders and that is why I asked you all for your opinions & experience on what cylinders you've used successfully.
Dtjaden
EMW
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.