Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ooooops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I'm out busting up the corners and such and I hear this loud thud from the rear trunk. Then "smoke" starts coming up out of the center pad between the seats.

I knew what it was right away. dry.gif

My unsecured fire extinguisher blew all over everything.
Moon dust...

May show pics huh.gif

KT
bondo
Heh. Change your air filter smile.gif
scotty914
both
phantom914
My choice: at.

biggrin.gif

Andrew
Flat VW
I have never heard of such a thing happening ever before. bs.gif

If it ever happened in my rear trunk, I would get that "moon dust" out of there ASAP! rolleyes.gif

That "moon dust" is highly corrosive, especially when wetted! sad.gif

I would go to the "quarter car wash" and vacuum as much out as possible, then rinse with copious amounts of water.

When it "didn't happen to me" it did not make a sound, by the way! cool_shades.gif

John
Andy
[Clinton]I feel your pain[/Clinton]

I had one go boom in the locked steel center console of my Jeep, the "POP" was loud enough I though something had gone in the drivetrain... Didn't figure out what it was until the next stop, magically now anything I put in that console comes out with a yellowish white powder on it!
phantom914
Moon dust? Oh, I get it now wink wink, nudge nudge. When the officer pulled you over and asked about the white powder you told him it was from the fire extinguisher.

Andrew
Lou W
Man, that's got to be a mess, it may take a more than a few quarters at the car wash to clean up. Good thing it was in the trunk and not in the pasenger compartment. ohmy.gif
Trekkor
before
Trekkor
after dry.gif
seanery
I was at an event, musta been before I left LA where someone had one go off in the passenger area of the car! LOL they were in it, too laugh.gif
Trekkor
more...

The safety wire broke, pin came out and nice to meet ya. headbang.gif

KT
Lou W
Hows the engine compartment?
sixnotfour
Blow, vacum first , Dont get it wet , Then it gets corrosive.
914's rust fast enough.
Did you install the fuel gauge ?
Trekkor
Engine compartment is good.

Fuel guage is sitting in the front seat.
After the haz-mat team is gone, I'll try that next ( spark plug gap, too ) wink.gif

KT
GTeener
Doh! slap.gif
TravisNeff
Whatch out, that stuff is corrosive to the insulation on yoru wiring, unless you sprung for the automotive use extinguisher.
Aaron Cox
trekkor....i am sorry. that is the funniest shit i have seen in a while.....

im laughing with you man! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Allan
ohmy.gif Luckily it didn't happen inside the passenger compartment.
Root_Werks
Sorry man, slap.gif happy11.gif
Rusty
I'm laughing with you... naaa... I'm laughing at you. happy11.gif

Take the previous suggestions seriously. It's corrosive to our old wiring. If it were me, this is what I'd do:

1. Vaccum out as much as I could.
2. Drape a blanket over the engine compartment, and then used compressed air to blow out as much as I could.
3. Remove EVERYTHING from the rear trunk, and start cleaning it all meticulously. This means your ignition unit, the rear tail lights, everything.
4. Then clean the wiring harness like it was a surgical instrument.
5. Get some dielectric grease and coat all your connections.
6. Reassemble.

-Rusty smoke.gif
scruz914
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 1 2005, 02:36 PM)
Moon dust...

Did you happen to notice any DeLorean's following close behind you?

Old joke. Shows my age.
mike_the_man
Shitty thing to happen, but funny as hell! biggrin.gif At least it wasn't your fancy engine blowing up...
GWN7
Take the trunk lid off and drive it, 15 min at 60 mph should clean it out........then do what Rusty said biggrin.gif laugh.gif
Midtowner
Oh great! Now I'm worried about my Halon extinguisher mounted in the near the passenger footwell! If that thing let's loose, I'm history by suffocation. ohmy.gif
Joe Bob
I keep getting the flash of the Cheech and Chong scene where they get pulled over and smoke is billowing out the windows.....the cops ask Cheech for his license and he says...it's on the back bumper man....deed it fall off? smoke.gif
Trekkor
Glad to provide some comic relief, folks laugh.gif

All is well once again in 914 land.

Used the high HP shop vac and got near all the lunar matter out. dry.gif

Then used the hose on gentle shower 'til it ran clean.
I have big drain holes in my trunk and the only thing in there was the extinguiser, oil catch tank and MSD.

All wiped down and good to go.

Fuel level guage installed and plugs gapped to .045 mueba.gif

Plus, ran a quick vineyard lap. burnout.gif

KT
redshift
laugh.gif

So, I was in a band, and we went to eat lunch, in Duff's in Ormond Beach... bout 45 minutes...

Came back... no windshield.... Billy, the vocalist put his spray deoderant on the dash... so glass all over ground, 16 ounces of white aluminum shit all over the everything.

M
Gint
As much as that sux, it is funny. wink.gif
ppickerell
Trekkor,
Thanks for convincing me to go Halon!
Demick
So Trekkor - your fire extinguisher was just rolling around in your rear trunk? No wonder discharged!

Demick
Trekkor
just rolling around in your rear trunk

Something wrong with that?
Oh yeah... unsure.gif

I kept saying to myself, "I really should secure that".

KT
scotty b
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Mar 1 2005, 03:13 PM)
Take the trunk lid off and drive it, 15 min at 60 mph should clean it out........then do what Rusty said biggrin.gif laugh.gif

You won't have any draw that way. You'll have to take the tail lights out too! laugh.gif 'Well actually officer imaracer, I do have a good reason" laugh.gif laugh.gif
Trekkor
officer imaracer

Now that's funny. w00t.gif

KT
EdwardBlume
Its like Christmas! or a drug bust.... Sorry man...
redshift
I like the texture.

clap.gif

unsure.gif

confused24.gif

smilie_pokal.gif

party.gif

M
fiid
That actually made me laugh out loud for real. Awesome.
scotts-toolwench
I swear I'm not laughing......oh, who am I kidding? laugh.gif That was pretty funny.

Actually we had 2 fire extinguishers in the 914 (after our house burnt down Scott was determined that the car would be fire free forever! wink.gif )

Of course we were at a friends house one night and all of her neices and nephews were having a water battle with the grown-ups (Okay so the only "grown-up" willing to play along was Scott...) well one of the girls dumped a beer on Scott so he went to the car as calm as you please and got out the extinguisher and sprayed the living daylights out of that kid. Now that was funny! clap.gif happy11.gif

Course he now has the other one next to him when he is welding...might need it if his pants ever catch on fire... w00t.gif blink.gif
Curvie Roadlover
Oh man rolleyes.gif
ClayPerrine
before I tore down my car for rebuilding, I kept a fire extinguisher behind the driver's seat. One day I moved the seat back to get under the dash. When I slid it forward, it hooked the fire extinguisher handle and caused it to discharge. Luckily it was a Halon extinguisher so all I had to do was get the hell out of the car quickly. headbang.gif

But the best one relating to fire suppression was when I worked for a major company based in Ft. Worth. They had a computer room with a red button on either side of the exit door. The left one was clearly labeled "Halon Fire Suppression System" and the right one was labeled "Exit". One of the cleaning crew didn't read english, so he hit the halon discharge button instead of the exit button. He didn't know to abort the discharge by pulling the button out, and no one was near the door but him. I just barely made it out of the room before the halon discharge. Shut down the computer room for 2 days.

Randal
Trekkor,

Your fire extinguisher belongs up front with you. PCA says you have to be able to reach it with your seat belts on.

Sorry to hear about the mess, but I'll bet the vineyard lap changed your mood.
maf914
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Mar 2 2005, 05:52 AM)
I just barely made it out of the room before the halon discharge.

Unlike a CO2 flooding system, Halon does not smother the fire by displacing oxygen. The halon molecules interact with and chemically disrupt the combustion process. Typically, halon room suppression systems are designed for 5 to 7% halon/air concentration. You can remain in the room without serious health risks, although long term exposure is not recommended. With CO2 flooding systems you must evacuate immediately or risk suffocation, very dangerous for occupied spaces. This is why halon and the current replacement clean agents, such as FM-200, are preferred over CO2 for occupied spaces.

Now a halon dischage in a small 914 cockpit may be another story, depending on the quantity of halon involved and the resulting concentration. ohmy.gif
Trekkor
I stumbled upon this old dead thread and got a laugh...

KT
JPB
It is funny and sucks in the bigest of ways. av-943.gif sad.gif
grantsfo
So you just got around to mounting the new one last month? LOL!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.