Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need "Machinist"? - Need A Mounting Plate Made
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I have the skills but don't have the tools or the material to do this. I need a steel plate made with three holes in it so i can re-angle the clutch pulley for my header installation.

With the header on, the clutch cable rubs on the header. A custom plate between the clutch pulley housing and the transmission will enable me to rotate the housing slightly so the angle of the cable goes further down and gives some clearence to the header. Cable will be wrapped with fireproof sleeve.

Can anyone out there fabricate this? I will get exact measurements. The plate is small; 3"x 5" tops.

I have seen the other mount made that relocates the pulley horizontal but that will not work for mine.

I anticipate that more than just me may want one of these.

Can anyone out there punch this out?

Click to view attachment
Mueller
steel or aluminum?

thru hole or threaded or nuts welded to far side?

how thick?
Harpo
What about Chris's clutch pulley adapter

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Harpo @ Aug 16 2015, 01:55 PM) *

What about Chris's clutch pulley adapter

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm

Yes that's the horizontal one. I want to stay vertical. Simpler design.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 16 2015, 01:18 PM) *

steel or aluminum?

thru hole or threaded or nuts welded to far side?

how thick?

Steel is fine. Thickness I don't know. Thick enough not to bend. Straight holes not threaded.
Harpo
Chris has two designs, one horizontal & one vertical
Mueller
I just happen to have this .25" thick steel piece sitting on my bandsaw....

3.125"x5.125" approx.

Send me some dimensions for the holes and pay for shipping (I usually use USPS flat rate boxes, so figure about $5.50 or so for shipping plus paypal fees or send a check/cash)

Click to view attachment
914forme
I just welded a piece onto the pulley holder piece, easy peasy. Done, and worked great.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Harpo @ Aug 16 2015, 03:08 PM) *

Chris has two designs, one horizontal & one vertical

I don't see the vertical one. Plus it's kinda pricey...
7TPorsh
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 16 2015, 04:37 PM) *

I just welded a piece onto the pulley holder piece, easy peasy. Done, and worked great.

Can't weld....oh the things I could do if only.....
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 16 2015, 03:13 PM) *

I just happen to have this .25" thick steel piece sitting on my bandsaw....

3.125"x5.125" approx.

Send me some dimensions for the holes and pay for shipping (I usually use USPS flat rate boxes, so figure about $5.50 or so for shipping plus paypal fees or send a check/cash)

Click to view attachment

Sounds good. 1/4" shouldn't change the pulley alignment too much. 1/8" may be better if available.
I'll take measurements tomorrow.

thx Gary
MartyYeoman
Looks like a job for a waterjet.
I suggest making one in cardboard first to get the dimensions just right, then move to metal.
914forme
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 16 2015, 11:41 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 16 2015, 04:37 PM) *

Can't weld....oh the things I could do if only.....

Seems like something I would jump into with both feet just to say I "CAN" weld. Heck even my daughter knows how to weld. This little project is a great place to start.

agree.gif Start in cardboard, easy to make a template, much cheaper to screw up with also. I use templates all the time, food boxes is where I get most of my stock from. I personally don't eat the shit, but, it makes great mockup material. And it reacts somewhat like metal. Metal can be stretched and shrunk, but if I can get close in cardboard, I know I can do it with metal.

I will say you can do this with some pretty primitive tools since your talking a flat plat. A drill, a few bits, a sharpie, and a hack saw will get you there. No welding required. A file will make it pretty, and you are done.

ChrisFoley
This is all you need.

Click to view attachment
blackmoon
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 17 2015, 05:48 AM) *

This is all you need.

Click to view attachment

simplicity at it's best beer.gif
7TPorsh
QUOTE(blackmoon @ Aug 17 2015, 08:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 17 2015, 05:48 AM) *

This is all you need.

Click to view attachment

simplicity at it's best beer.gif

Yes this would be great too. The closest thing I could find at home Depot was too thin and long.

7TPorsh
Here are the dimensions for either:

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
I keep them on the shelf. Every EVO 914 header gets one in the package.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 17 2015, 09:44 AM) *

I keep them on the shelf. Every EVO 914 header gets one in the package.

Problem solved, thank you Chris!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.