Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: R EG33 six's a rare find.,?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
I found 1 in a junkyard 90 K miles..should i go for it or wait for a proven runner,..they offer a 90 day warr. But,it wont be running that quick Thanks..FM..

914forme
yes and know, 15,000 of them imported to our shores in SVXs, more over sees. But you do find them in the junk yard, craigslist, and still in SVXs. IF it was involved in a front end collision. Look carefully at the cam area, if it got into them, it could have cracked a bunch of stuff, and well the motor is good as a mockup motor that is about it.

You also did not give a price, I can tell you I paid $450 for the last one I got out of a junkyard. It has 45K on it.
mepstein
I bought my running svx for $500. The whole car, not just the engine.
Chris H.
I'd say not that rare. There are three cars in the Chicago Craigslist for $500-$650. Great engine though. 90k is low miles. How much are they asking?
flmont
They want 650.00 plus 150 for harness and NO, ECU....???? But its only 2 hrs away
Chris914n6
It's not like anyone with an SVX is going to buy it anytime soon, make them an offer.
Andyrew
I'd offer 350 including the harness if they load it in your truck. Looks like you can find an ecu for about 80 shipped.
914forme
ECU is the easy part, you also need the internal harness, engine harness separates at the rear right of the engine.

My suggestion is to buy an entire car, strip out everything you ned, sell off the rest.

I bought a car, did just that, then also picked up another engine from the boneyard. I am currently using that engine as my mockup unit.

At least when buying an whole car, you can get the engine running, even fix al the oil leaks. sad.gif Its a pain in the arse! You thought the 914 engine bay was tight, an SVX engine bay will make you think the 914 is a spacious place.

If you are going stock visit ECUTune, they make SVX chips that do some nice things for your EG33.
flmont
Yea,..getting 1 that runs is smart,..Iam far away from driving it,..and as far as stk goes,..I do want to build it as much as my wallet lets me,..because once I install it, I don't want to mess with it,too much,..So Ill chip it,maybe headers,.bigger TB,and better injectors,Nissan MAP,..I guess that is all I would do,I want 270-280 at the wheels,..I was told to get the harness re-worked,.Thats around 800.00,.,then clutch package then,.the rad system,..all 1 K ea,..so about 3k plus all the little stuff,..still beats a 7K stroked 2 Ltr,..
flmont
Yea,..getting 1 that runs is smart,..Iam far away from driving it,..and as far as stk goes,..I do want to build it as much as my wallet lets me,..because once I install it, I don't want to mess with it,too much,..So Ill chip it,maybe headers,.bigger TB,and better injectors,Nissan MAP,..I guess that is all I would do,I want 270-280 at the wheels,..I was told to get the harness re-worked,.Thats around 800.00,.,then clutch package then,.the rad system,..all 1 K ea,..so about 3k plus all the little stuff,..still beats a 7K stroked 2 Ltr,..
Chris H.
You can say THAT again poke.gif .

Aren't there any SVX's on Craigslist around you? Come up and get one of the ones up here!

FYI the headers are $350. The stock manifolds aren't really usable due to the angle. Also if you're referring to the smallcar harness program they ONLY take a 100% uncut complete harness. Just so you know.
mepstein
Plus -
Engine mount
Trans mount
Trans
Cable shifter
Axles
Differential sleeve
Trans plate
Gauges
Hoses
Fittings
Fuel pump
5 lug
Brakes
Exhaust
ect
flmont
Easy,..Mepstein,..Your spending all my MONEY,....LOL

No not many SVX's in AZ but I just started to look.

Ok,..yes cradle I need,.where do I get one .I thought cradle had the trany mount built in,.so to speak,..keeping the 901,..but re-working,.I want to use all 5 gears,..if possible,..and all the Misc. items will grow for sure,..whats the differential sleeve about,..Thats the first time that I have heard of that,..,.. And yes all the the other stuff,..but I can do that stuff over time,.I just want engine trany stuff done first,...??
flmont
Chris H.,...Iam not sure if is smallcar program,..I was told an older retired gemtalmen,..that works them up for a 914,.I think his name is tom shields,.??? but not sure..
Chris H.
Oh right.. Tom runs the Subaru Vanagon Yahoo Group. Definitely knows his stuff. Not the same as smallcar, but I'm quite sure he could do it.

Tom Shiels

This car is still here:

SVX deal

Someone go buy this before I look at it! FREE ENGINE basically. The SVX guys want leather interiors. Wheels, lights, rear wing, some electronics, and then scrap the body for $200. Front fenders are $75 each. You're even, or up some $$.

wingnut86
...That SVX IS a good deal. You are correct - it needs to be bought.

The harness alone is worth the trouble, even without the engine.

Did you guys say $800 to rebuild the SVX harness??? Why? It's not a Ferrari or a Porsche 959. There are many folks out there that will rebuild a harness for less than that (half that). The risk you take is no warranty past 30 days after install & they re-use the parts/connectors that they can recycle. I did a ton of research 3 years ago, so maybe the US China rebuild labor market has seen price increase;-)

BUY THAT SVX!
Chris914n6
Is there a build thread somewhere for a ~300hp eg33? Total cost?

That plus the WRX trans sounds more appealing than engineering a VQ35 to Boxster adapter.

You're lucky, the only SVX currently in Vegas is RARE AS IS $2500 and has issues screwy.gif
flmont
I would but Iam in AZ,..and Chicago ,.is to far away,..

and as far as the harness I don't even know what needs to be done to them,.???
flmont
Where can I get a engine cradle,..coldwater is gone correct,..???
Chris H.
You basically use the engine section of the harness and tie it in to the 914 chassis harness, but it's not QUITE as simple as that. I think mine started at 30 lbs and was just a few lbs when done. Still discovering little things. My VSS was not hooked up correctly as Mark helped me confirm recently.

Here's what the new harness sort of looks like:

Smallcar harness info

The original one barely fits in a laundry basket. George (ThePaintedMan) is digging into his now beerchug.gif ! Sounds like we're gonna have quite a few EG33 cars soon.

Coldwater is still around, Ian is just busy but I heard he is still shipping stuff. The coldwater cradle puts the EG33 engine pretty close to the front firewall, almost touching. This is ONLY the case with the EG33 since it is the largest Subaru engine physically. All others fit great. It also requires the use of the stock liquid-filled ($$$) motor mounts (EG33 only as well), which are an issue with how close they are to the headers (heat). Don't get me wrong, it's a very good cradle but I'd use something else for the EG. For ANY OTHER ENGINE it's the go-to. Watch 914forme, mepstein, mgp4591, ThePaintedMan, etc, etc, threads to see what they do.
mgp4591
I paid 1500 for my running SVX and I drive it regularly- it runs for 30 minutes or so until the trans starts acting up and even then it runs very well. I have thought about keeping it as is and fix the trans because it's a blast to drive, feels like a Mercedes because it's so solid but then I think about how it's gonna perform with 1300 lbs less to propel- that's what motivates me! aktion035.gif
Now go buy that car!
flmont
MPG4591,..I sure want to,..Iam going to call tomorrow,..to ck things out,...Thanks..!!!!!

do U have a cradle yet
Mueller
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 16 2015, 03:55 PM) *

I bought my running svx for $500. The whole car, not just the engine.

Seems to be the going rate on Craigslist here on the West coast...not that I am looking smile.gif
flmont
MPG4591,..I sure want to,..Iam going to call tomorrow,..to ck things out,...Thanks..!!!!!

do U have a cradle yet,..
got914?
QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 17 2015, 11:33 PM) *

Where can I get a engine cradle,..coldwater is gone correct,..???

Coldwater is back up and running last i checked his site.
And ive been on contact with him regarding a cradle for my car.
mgp4591
QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 17 2015, 10:14 PM) *

do U have a cradle yet

I don't have a cradle yet- I like the Coldwater design but don't really know what the weight is and I've heard it needs small modifications to fit an EG33. The Smallcar adaptor needs some engineering as well so I'm thinking of building my own using the engine/trans combo as a stressed member of sorts- the engine/trans is almost balanced in the stock cradle so if you look at the motor mounts when it's in the car, the mounts are almost at the rear of the engine. I also want it to be as light as possible because it's the heaviest of the Subie engines plus I'm using the automatic trans which is heavy all on it's own. A little experiment of mine to see how I like it.
There are so many talented individuals on the World who have made their own that I should be able to come up with a solution that meets my needs using ideas I've already seen. Should be fun! Now I just need to get out of this cast and start walking again...
flmont
Whoa,..how did u get hurt,..?? I second the talent here,..I cant weld,I have no real car talent,when it get to techical..Iam just trying to build my version of a super car,..because I will never own one ,..so I will make one,..!! LOL
mgp4591
QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 17 2015, 11:16 PM) *

Whoa,..how did u get hurt,..?? I second the talent here,..I cant weld,I have no real car talent,when it get to techical..Iam just trying to build my version of a super car,..because I will never own one ,..so I will make one,..!! LOL

You may want to take some fabrication, auto or welding classes at night for continuing education at your local H.S. or Community College just to get an idea of what you're getting into. None of the cars on this site aren't running without some sort of knowledge of cars or related areas- a few have been bought turn-key but even those require some idea of how to keep them running so the more you know, the better!
My injuries came from a pickup truck turning into me on my motorcycle while I was going about 50 and he was doing only 10. He turned right into me claiming he didn't see me... sounds way too familiar these days. That was June 5th and I'm still looking at another 2 months til I'm getting around IF everything works out. Please be careful driving- take that extra 10th of a second to see that your way is safe!
euro911
Just looked on CL, can't find any for less than $1500. out here in the So Cal area. If I wasn't selling the Westy, I'd love to stick an SVX in it, and wouldn't have to smog it in No. AZ biggrin.gif

zoom zoom aktion035.gif
Chris H.
I wouldn't drive to Chicago for a car unless you were totally out of options...

What about this one in Phoenix?

White SVX

High miles but they don't get as much abuse with an automatic.

Chris H.
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 18 2015, 01:32 AM) *

Just looked on CL, can't find any for less than $1500. out here in the So Cal area. If I wasn't selling the Westy, I'd love to stick an SVX in it, and wouldn't have to smog it in No. AZ biggrin.gif

zoom zoom aktion035.gif

Plenty of time to change your mind on that!

"Oh look here comes Mark back from the store! Wow that was fast!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCO4I4Am8x4

mepstein
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 18 2015, 08:01 AM) *

zoom zoom aktion035.gif

I'm guessing thats quicker than stock...

I'm also asuming the vans weigh a bit more than a 914

biggrin.gif
euro911
Yeah, have seen that video before sweet aktion035.gif
914forme
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 17 2015, 10:05 PM) *

Oh right.. Tom runs the Subaru Vanagon Yahoo Group. Definitely knows his stuff. Not the same as smallcar, but I'm quite sure he could do it.

Tom Shiels

This car is still here:

SVX deal

Someone go buy this before I look at it! FREE ENGINE basically. The SVX guys want leather interiors. Wheels, lights, rear wing, some electronics, and then scrap the body for $200. Front fenders are $75 each. You're even, or up some $$.

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif Chris you need to quit showing this SVX idea.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif wacko.gif
Chris H.
Yeah I know...I'm about to call the number myself. Can you believe it's still available? There's another one for $650 as well. Both LS-L's with leather. Easy break evens. I need a storage space to hide big stuff in to put big stuff in.

flmont
I have called twice,..in the last 2 days,..so far no response,..But they could be out of town,..Who knows,....
Chris H.
Did you see the one I posted in Phoenix?
flmont
yes,..but too many miles,..they said 200K,..I would have to rebuild the thing,..which,. I have to consider that with any engine,.I buy,..cuz ya never really know unless its running and U can test the vitials,... and that's chancey,..but less of one,...
brant
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 18 2015, 06:01 AM) *

zoom zoom aktion035.gif

What years of vanagons are good for this conversion?
Chris H.
Really just needs to be water cooled Brant. They switched from air cooled to water cooled in mid-'83 I think (just make sure it has a radiator biggrin.gif ). The 90-91 Carat's were really nice. One of those with a blown engine would be primo. '91 was the last year.
brant
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 19 2015, 09:49 PM) *

Really just needs to be water cooled Brant. They switched from air cooled to water cooled in mid-'83 I think (just make sure it has a radiator biggrin.gif ). The 90-91 Carat's were really nice. One of those with a blown engine would be primo. '91 was the last year.

Do they run a Subaru tranny?

Wow.
Any good sites that outline the conversion?

mepstein
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 20 2015, 12:29 AM) *

Wow.

Tons of conversions on the samba
Chris H.
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 19 2015, 11:29 PM) *

Wow.

You can do a Subaru trans, but most people seem to use an adapter for the Vanagon trans.

These are helpful for any conversion:

smallcar.com

Rock Mountain Westy

Subaru Vanagon Yahoo Group

And as Mark said, the best place to see a bunch of conversions is on the Samba.
DBCooper
You may be competing with a lot of VW Vanagon people who are also trying to find that motor. In fact it's the reason I'm looking for a diesel Westy. Here, take a look, I LOVE this sound!

brant
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 20 2015, 05:50 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Aug 19 2015, 11:29 PM) *

Wow.

You can do a Subaru trans, but most people seem to use an adapter for the Vanagon trans.

These are helpful for any conversion:

smallcar.com

Rock Mountain Westy

Subaru Vanagon Yahoo Group

And as Mark said, the best place to see a bunch of conversions is on the Samba.

cool
thank you!
Chris H.
Sure Brant. Glad I could help you with something for once instead of the other way around.

Still another one in Chi-Town...says it won't start but there's not much that could be terminal with these engines. Non-interference, so the timing belt could snap and it'd be fine but it's probably something like the fuel pump.

SVX LS-L

$650...still could break even. I got $100 for my muffler I think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.