Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
As my last improvement before Onteenerfest, I purchased a EVO IV Scliencer muffler from Tangerine Racing. Because every thing I have ever gotten from Chris has been nothing but top of the line, I did not have to think long about spending the $$$$ for this.

I have not installed it yet but I was wondering if anyone else is running the EVO on their 914 and what your thoughts were? I am running a FI 2056, SS heat exchanger, through a Bursch type muffler right now. I am hoping the EVO adds some performance but dosent make a huge increase in noise.
Briby37
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 16 2015, 01:30 PM) *

As my last improvement before Onteenerfest, I purchased a EVO IV Scliencer muffler from Tangerine Racing. Because every thing I have ever gotten from Chris has been nothing but top of the line, I did not have to think long about spending the $$$$ for this.

I have not installed it yet but I was wondering if anyone else is running the EVO on their 914 and what your thoughts were? I am running a FI 2056, SS heat exchanger, through a Bursch type muffler right now. I am hoping the EVO adds some performance but dosent make a huge increase in noise.

Are you just using the silencer - not the Tangerine heat exchangers as well? I'm super interested to hear what you/the others think. I've got a '74 2.0 with a Bursch Street Quiet and SS heat exchangers. Been thinking about doing this as well.
Mblizzard
Just using the Scliencer.

I have a good set of SS heat exchangers so I find it hard to let those go. Of course a set from Chris is much better than what I have but I am not sure I have enough engine to take full advantage of it.
Briby37
Cool. I'm interested to see if anyone has thoughts on this. My HEs are pretty much brand new, so I'm not looking to part with those just yet. I figured the silencer install is pretty straightforward since Chris' stuff is mostly bolt-on. (I live in an apartment complex with few tools, so I don't have the space to do anythin super complicated)

Now we wait!
era vulgaris
I've got the EVO II silencer, tangerine 1 5/8" headers, and tangerine heat exchanger on my 2270. I LOVE them. The sound is epic. I can start my car, walk back into the house all the way to the far side of the house, and still hear my car idling like rolling thunder!

I can't really speak to the performance difference because they were on the car when I bought it. My last 914 had stock HE's but it was a 1.7....so EVERYTHING is faster on this car! biggrin.gif driving.gif
DRPHIL914
I so what are you waiting for?put them on! Can't wait to see how that looks etc!
I thought about getting one but my h.es are s.s. But 1.8, not 2.0, so the plan is once I get the 1.8 car I am picking up soon, transfer the h.e. and triad muffler from my 2.0 over to that car then source some correct 2.0 s.s.h.e. and an evo from chris!
Which tips did you get??
Phil
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 17 2015, 05:09 AM) *

I so what are you waiting for?put them on! Can't wait to see how that looks etc!
I thought about getting one but my h.es are s.s. But 1.8, not 2.0, so the plan is once I get the 1.8 car I am picking up soon, transfer the h.e. and triad muffler from my 2.0 over to that car then source some correct 2.0 s.s.h.e. and an evo from chris!
Which tips did you get??
Phil

It is being delivered! So cant install yet.

Got the single tip as I want some good sound but not something that is too loud.
DRPHIL914
--- and you dont have to modify the valence either. ive heard they have just the right amount of sound.

now you will have to be in the "modified" class for octeenerfest people's choice
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 17 2015, 09:09 AM) *

Which tips did you get??
Phil

I've started making the same style muffler for 1.7/1.8L HE's.

Click to view attachment
STL914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 17 2015, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 17 2015, 09:09 AM) *

Which tips did you get??
Phil

I've started making the same style muffler for 1.7/1.8L HE's.

Click to view attachment

Chris,

Do you or can you offer this muffler with two short tail pipes centered on the canister?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(STL914 @ Aug 17 2015, 01:27 PM) *

Chris,

Do you or can you offer this muffler with two short tail pipes centered on the canister?

I can build them with the same two style outlets as the 2L: Single stock tip and twin center tips.
The Paypal link on my website will be updated soon with an option to choose which heat exchangers the muffler is being fitted to.
In the meantime its ok to use the Paypal link and add a note that its for the other HE's.
Mblizzard
Ugh.... No new muffler only a Fedex tag on door!
AndyB
I have had the Tangerine Evo I've silencer, I really loved the sound. At the time I got it I had a simple 1.8. Yes it is that good. I have now moved on to one of his header exhausts. Different engine but still L-jet. You really do get what you pay for which is actually nice.
Mblizzard
Got the muffler from FedEx! Installed it! Super quality, extremely light, and very well made. Pretty much what you would expect from Tangerine Racing.

Got it started and it is really extremely quite at idle. Amazing sound under full throttle. And a noticeable increase in mid range power. The comparison to the Bursch I had before is like night and day. When you pay this price for a muffler you expect a lot! Chris certainly delivers value for every penny of the cost.

Can't wait to take it on a long drive! driving.gif
Mblizzard
Ok this muffler is great at highway speeds. If you are looking for a rattle the windows system Chris can do that, but this is a true driving set up. Just took a spin down the highway at close to the speed limit shades.gif Great sound but not loud. Will be very easy to endure on long drives with top down. When you are in the throttle it delivers a pleasing tone and sounds extremely nice.
Briby37
Awesome. Just put in my order. Won't be around to install it for a few weeks, but that's ok. Did you reuse the hardware from your Bursch? Where did you get your gaskets from? I'm sure it's easy enough to find some online, but if you have a link, I'd much appreciate it.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Briby37 @ Aug 24 2015, 08:28 AM) *

Awesome. Just put in my order. Won't be around to install it for a few weeks, but that's ok. Did you reuse the hardware from your Bursch? Where did you get your gaskets from? I'm sure it's easy enough to find some online, but if you have a link, I'd much appreciate it.

Hardware? Just the bolts. Everything else welded together. Ask Chris I am sure he can provide the gaskets. I had a few sets laying around so I don't have a link.
Mblizzard
Not a good picture but the muffler looks good. Much better than my photography skills.Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
I hope you flipped the car back onto its wheels before all the fluid leaked out. biggrin.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 24 2015, 12:21 PM) *

I hope you flipped the car back onto its wheels before all the fluid leaked out. biggrin.gif

It is funny that the photos are right side up on the IPad? Oh well. M
Briby37
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 24 2015, 01:15 PM) *

Hardware? Just the bolts. Everything else welded together. Ask Chris I am sure he can provide the gaskets. I had a few sets laying around so I don't have a link.

Nuts and bolts was all I was referring to. Looks great - enjoy!
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 24 2015, 01:24 PM) *

Your iPad auto-rotates the screen. You still technically had the iPad oriented 180 deg the wrong direction. I can't remember if the volume buttons need to be on top or the bottom when shooting in the landscape orientation.

Anyways, awesome write-up. I'd love to hear what it sounds like, but that requires good audio gear.

Cheers, Randy
wingnut86
Nope, just good hearing happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 24 2015, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 24 2015, 01:24 PM) *

Your iPad auto-rotates the screen. You still technically had the iPad oriented 180 deg the wrong direction. I can't remember if the volume buttons need to be on top or the bottom when shooting in the landscape orientation.

Anyways, awesome write-up. I'd love to hear what it sounds like, but that requires good audio gear.

Cheers, Randy

RoadGlue
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 24 2015, 02:18 PM) *

Nope, just good hearing happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif

bootyshake.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.