Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 brake caliper issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
max72914
Hi everyone, I ordered a new caliper off ebay, for the front left. I got a call from the mechanic that it doesnt fit, and the bolts at the bottom are farther apart. I talked to the seller, and he said that there is nothing wrong and it should fit fine. The original caliper says vw 42 on it, im guessing its 42mm bore? Whos right, the mechanic, or the seller? Could the brakes be from a different car? Thanks,
Max
max72914
QUOTE(max72914 @ Aug 16 2015, 03:45 PM) *

Hi everyone, I ordered a new caliper off ebay, for the front left. I got a call from the mechanic that it doesnt fit, and the bolts at the bottom are farther apart. I talked to the seller, and he said that there is nothing wrong and it should fit fine. The original caliper says vw 42 on it, im guessing its 42mm bore? Whos right, the mechanic, or the seller? Could the brakes be from a different car? Thanks,
Max

max72914
QUOTE(max72914 @ Aug 16 2015, 03:45 PM) *

Max
mepstein
Doesn't look like a 914 caliper.
max72914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 16 2015, 03:52 PM) *

Doesn't look like a 914 caliper.

The new one or the old one?
era vulgaris
Your new caliper looks a lot like the ones I put on my old VW Karmann Ghia.
http://www.mooreparts.com/264-615107-8311/...RJN0aAvhd8P8HAQ

Tip: don't buy parts from ebay unless you're absolutely sure of the part number. Most of those sellers will simply list cars as compatible whether or not the parts actually fit. Get your brake parts from Eric at PMB Performance.

Also, it's pretty important to replace calipers in pairs, either both fronts or both rears. I wouldn't ever do just one. And I probably wouldn't trust a mechanic that was ok with doing just one.
mgp4591
Paging Mr. Shea, Mr. Eric Shea... you have a call on the white courtesy phone. popcorn[1].gif
max72914
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Aug 16 2015, 04:57 PM) *

Tip: don't buy parts from ebay unless you're absolutely sure of the part number. Most of those sellers will simply list cars as compatible whether or not the parts actually fit. Get your brake parts from Eric at PMB Performance.

Also, it's pretty important to replace calipers in pairs, either both fronts or both rears. I wouldn't ever do just one. And I probably wouldn't trust a mechanic that was ok with doing just one.

Ok, thanks a lot for the advice. Sending it back tomorrow
max72914
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Aug 16 2015, 04:57 PM) *

Ok thanks for the advice, sending it back tomorrow
stugray
The shiny new caliper looks like a Late caliper. (slightly oddly shaped one)
It has no nuts (casting is threaded) and it has dual bleeders.

The rusty caliper is a Early caliper (drivers side?)
It has nuts on the fastener and single bleeders.

The rotor has to match the caliper (early with early, late with late) or you wont even be able to slide the caliper in place.
Either one should bolt onto the mounting tabs if there is no rotor installed.
Dave_Darling
First question: Do you have five-lug wheels?

Second question: How far apart are the two mounting bolt holes on the caliper?

Stock 914 parts should have mounting bolts that are 3" on-center apart. A common-ish mod to put 5-lug wheels on is to use 911 struts, some of which fit brakes that are 3.5" on-center apart. Hmm, though with the A or S struts you'd have brake rotors that are very thick and the stock calipers would not fit over at all. So I may be on the wrong track with this.

Still, if the bolts don't fit, it is probably because the bolt holes are a different distance apart. Measure and see what they are.

If you are using late calipers on an early strut (or early calipers on a late strut) the bolts will fit, but the caliper will be badly off-center on the rotor. That is what Stu is describing. But that doesn't seem to fit the description of "the bolts don't fit". So more info would be good.

--DD
Spoke
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Aug 16 2015, 07:57 PM) *

Tip: don't buy parts from ebay

agree.gif

Get your brake parts from Eric at PMB Performance.

agree.gif

You can PM Eric at Eric_Shea.

And/Or go to his website at:

PMB Performance

He does great caliper restoration and is super helpful getting things back together. He helped me get the newly restored rear calipers on my car sorted out and I didn't even buy them from him. Did buy the fronts from him though. beerchug.gif
max72914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 17 2015, 08:17 AM) *

First question: Do you have five-lug wheels?

Second question: How far apart are the two mounting bolt holes on the caliper?

Stock 914 parts should have mounting bolts that are 3" on-center apart. A common-ish mod to put 5-lug wheels on is to use 911 struts, some of which fit brakes that are 3.5" on-center apart. Hmm, though with the A or S struts you'd have brake rotors that are very thick and the stock calipers would not fit over at all. So I may be on the wrong track with this.

Still, if the bolts don't fit, it is probably because the bolt holes are a different distance apart. Measure and see what they are.

If you are using late calipers on an early strut (or early calipers on a late strut) the bolts will fit, but the caliper will be badly off-center on the rotor. That is what Stu is describing. But that doesn't seem to fit the description of "the bolts don't fit". So more info would be good.

--DD

Yeah, I talked to the mechanic and he said that the new one is a whole or or so longer than the old. And no, I dont have five lugs, but I sure wish I do!
max72914

You can PM Eric at Eric_Shea.

And/Or go to his website at:

PMB Performance

He does great caliper restoration and is super helpful getting things back together. He helped me get the newly restored rear calipers on my car sorted out and I didn't even buy them from him. Did buy the fronts from him though. beerchug.gif
[/quote]
Yeah I think I will end up doing that. Thanks a lor!
Eric_Shea
That's a Chioneese caliper. They're crap. And, as others have eluded to herein, it's made for VW guys. That broad market supports cheap crap like that. I wouldn't put that on my ex-mother-in-laws car.

Here's the caliper you need:

http://www.pmbperformance.com/914-brakes/E..._914_Front.html

The 42 on your caliper is just an "ironic" casting number.
johnhora
Max...
I have this pair of cores for the front if you are looking to rebuild a set for yourself..
just need a rebuild kit and time....

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
max72914
QUOTE(johnhora @ Aug 18 2015, 09:51 AM) *

Max...
I have this pair of cores for the front if you are looking to rebuild a set for yourself..
just need a rebuild kit and time....

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Yeah ill definately consider, how much were you thinking?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.