Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Eisberg rustoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
mbseto
Funny, I am as nervous starting this thread as I was to start cutting into my car.

I resolved to start a rustoration thread when I made my first cuts, so here it is. I'm hoping the community will pipe in periodically with any, "Don't do that!", "Do it this other way!", "Do this first!", or "Don't forget this!" comments that are appropriate. Any and all guidance will be appreciated.

So here's the car as I got it, not quite a year ago:
Click to view attachment

Started out doing a little engine work to get it running, then drove it around a little bit before starting to take it apart. Took the engine out, put it up on a dolly, took out much of the interior and suspension, and this is how it sits now:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

After cleaning out the inside and seeing the rust, it was hard to believe we were driving it at all. These are the first cuts, just straightening out the edges of the rust holes really.
Click to view attachment

More pics coming soon, I'll be documenting the extent of the damage and forming a battle plan.
TargaToy
Love your dolly setup. Keep the progress reports coming. I'll look forward to following your repairs.

Amazing how much bad crud can lurk below an otherwise really pretty paint job, eh?
rick 918-S
Good bracing. If you end up needing to weld higher than you can reach on the longitudinal I would suggest cutting the door jamb like this. I often see guys cut off the lower quarter panel. I personally don't care to do it that way and don't think it is necessary.

Click to view attachment
mgp4591
Thanks for posting your pics- now I don't feel that bad about my rust situation! How's your center tunnel- is it rusted up the sides an inch or two? That's the only piece I could find that RD doesn't sell as their inventory is excellent ... has anyone seen those for sale on any vendor site?
Zimms
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Aug 16 2015, 09:35 PM) *

Love your dolly setup.

agree.gif Nice work
thieuster
Nice! Don't be tempted to start working on the engine too soon. A restored engine sitting idle in the corner of the workshop for a long period will start deteriorating.

BTW, I love the wheels on your car. What are these?

Menno
rgalla9146
QUOTE(thieuster @ Aug 17 2015, 06:27 AM) *

Nice! Don't be tempted to start working on the engine too soon. A restored engine sitting idle in the corner of the workshop for a long period will start deteriorating.

Menno

VW Super Beetle .... '78-'79 ?
Claus Graf
Nice dolly. Good Luck with the 914!

I would support the front and rear end by adding more beams to the dolly (and maybe a couple of casters).

I would work on one side at a time while leaving the door installed (on the side you're not working).

Regards

Claus

blackmoon
nice work, good luck with the restoration, it's all about the journey
jmitro
love that color.

good luck with your rustoration; I'm just a few hours of work behind you. Removing the engine this week, then start cutting out the rusty parts
sfrenck
Shouldn't the door braces form an "X" or a "Z"?

Not saying that the car is going to move since it's bolted to that beefy support frame, but I don't see how a "four-bar brace" keeps the jambs fixed relative to each other (think sagging fence gate without the diagonal brace).
914werke
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Aug 16 2015, 08:01 PM) *
How's your center tunnel- is it rusted up the sides an inch or two? That's the only piece I could find that RD doesn't sell as their inventory is excellent ... has anyone seen those for sale on any vendor site?

idea.gif I do. shades.gif
mbseto
Thanks all for the kind words.

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 16 2015, 10:44 PM) *

...I would suggest cutting the door jamb like this. I often see guys cut off the lower quarter panel. I personally don't care to do it that way and don't think it is necessary.

Rick;
I was hoping to get away with something like that. But the suspension pylon needs to be removed, and so far as I've seen in searching this site, I'll have to cut the quarter panel. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this because I would really rather not. But look at this:

When I poked at this, the hole just kept getting bigger and bigger. Rust and sunflower hulls were pouring out of it. Got a whole bag full.
Click to view attachment

While the outer pylon seems solid, the metal of the long around it is cheese. Cut the long open and this is looking aft and up, inside the long from just aft of the jack point (it looks backwards because it's looking in a mirror). You can see the entrance to the wee beastie's nest.
Click to view attachment

I'm betting his little skeleton might still be inside the pylon.

Just for good measure, here's a top down view of my properly hellish hell hole:
Click to view attachment

mbseto
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 17 2015, 10:32 AM) *

QUOTE(thieuster @ Aug 17 2015, 06:27 AM) *

VW Super Beetle .... '78-'79 ?

Lemmerz Baja Champion, and yes- Super Beetle, but I think only available in '72-'73? They've really grown on me, but they are narrow. Car's going to be a drifter whether I want to or not.
mbseto
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Aug 17 2015, 11:58 AM) *

Shouldn't the door braces form an "X" or a "Z"?

Not saying that the car is going to move since it's bolted to that beefy support frame, but I don't see how a "four-bar brace" keeps the jambs fixed relative to each other (think sagging fence gate without the diagonal brace).

I intended the dolly and the braces to all work together- they will all remain attached so far as possible. Both braces on each side are adjustable to set door gaps.

The plan is to measure frequently and if anything sags during the cutting, I will add bracing before welding.
JoeDees
I'll be learning in the near future whether you can replace the inner suspension console without cutting the fender (out with the old and the inner long this coming weekend), but in my prep for the job I have assessed that cutting the outer wheelhouse any higher than the outer suspension console would require cutting the fender. I thanked God when I realized that mine was somehow only rusted on the inner side and down low in the curve.
mbseto
Guess I better update you guys... Some PO welded in some random patches, have to dig them out and find out where the original metal starts. This is the underside of the hell hole:
Click to view attachment

And from above... Looks like grandma's quilt:
Click to view attachment

Pulled it all out. This is the PO's "hell hole repair kit"
Click to view attachment
mbseto
I'm planning on buying a bunch of sheet metal from RD. But to help stay within budget, I made a bending brake- this will be the source of my new inner longs. I've got a pile of 18g, but I have a piece of 12g to test the limits of this thing. If it can handle it, I may just make the inner longs from 12g. No additional stiffening kit required!

Click to view attachment

Using test strips to get set up:
Click to view attachment

Breakfast of champions:
Click to view attachment
JoeDees
So far in my rustoration I'm not finding a need to cut out the fender. Some stuff may require contortionism, but it seems possible.
mbseto
I'm going to try to weld everything from the inside. I'll go as long as I can without cutting the fender. If I get to a point where I have to, I'll take the whole quarter panel off intact.
914forme
Matthew, I really like the dolly. I will be liberating some of your ideas for the dolly to build my.
Vysoc
Nice Dolly, I will bet that Brake can bend 16g but 12g may be too stout?

Enjoy the build and hang in there!

Vysoc flag.gif
turk22
QUOTE(mbseto @ Oct 3 2015, 09:57 PM) *

I'm planning on buying a bunch of sheet metal from RD. But to help stay within budget, I made a bending brake- this will be the source of my new inner longs. I've got a pile of 18g, but I have a piece of 12g to test the limits of this thing. If it can handle it, I may just make the inner longs from 12g. No additional stiffening kit required!

Click to view attachment

Using test strips to get set up:
Click to view attachment

Breakfast of champions:
Click to view attachment

I really like your Bloody Mary setup! I will be liberating that idea before I help my son with his rotor and pad replacement!

beer3.gif
Andyrew
Killer dolly setup!!
mbseto
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 3 2015, 10:13 PM) *

Matthew, I really like the dolly. I will be liberating some of your ideas for the dolly to build my.

Thank you. That's exactly what I did... Combed the site for dolly pics and stole every good idea I saw. That said, there's some things I would do different next time around, just to make life easier on myself.
mbseto
QUOTE(turk22 @ Oct 4 2015, 12:29 PM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Oct 3 2015, 09:57 PM) *

Breakfast of champions:

I really like your Bloody Mary setup! I will be liberating that idea before I help my son with his rotor and pad replacement!

beer3.gif

Thanks! Pro-tip: put half your batch in the fridge for a couple days and let that horseradish marinate. Gives it a nice kick, will be good on these upcoming winter mornings in the garage.
jmitro
ha; timely update. I was just ruminating over how to make my own sheetmetal brake.

Can you show a pic of how it works?
mbseto
QUOTE(jmitro @ Oct 5 2015, 10:44 AM) *

ha; timely update. I was just ruminating over how to make my own sheetmetal brake.

Can you show a pic of how it works?

Took these after dark, hope they show it well enough. The brake is just three pieces of angle iron. Two are hinged together and bolted to the stand, the third is used as a clamp. This is what it looks like set up with a small test strip:

Click to view attachment

Once the sheet is clamped in place, you just lift up on the handles like so:

Click to view attachment

Of course it's going to spring back some. You can find tables that tell you how far to bend it so that it springs back to the angle you want. You can also muscle it after the fact.

Here's a close shot of the hinge. It's very simple.

Click to view attachment

And the best part is, it folds up!

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
That is awesome... Its so simple!
mbseto
Hammer forming patch for the back part of the forward wheel well where the long attaches. Got to make it healthy before the new long goes in. Three tries, first 2 in 20 gauge for practice, third in 18 gauge.
Click to view attachment
mbseto
You can probably guess where this little monkey is going to go:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Adjacent layer of the onion/ogre:
Click to view attachment

While it's open, here's a picture of the dirty tunnel. Guess I should clean it out before welding it up again...
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Back at you on the fab skills! And I'll add to the "Awesome dolly!" comments.
Keep up the great work.
Chris
injunmort
awesome work, that tunnel shot looks like a surgical theater compared to mine
mbseto
Time to catch you guys up... Spending some cold January Saturdays with my butt planted on the concrete floor. Love the welding, agnostic on the grinding.

I had a pile of patches that I made in December, all ready to weld in.
Started the month with a big part of the wheel-well/steering-tunnel cut away.
Click to view attachment

Here's the first patch in the firewall, from the outside and from the inside:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Second patch in the tunnel:
Click to view attachment

Third patch completes the box section that reinforces the area where the tunnel meets the wheel well:
Click to view attachment

Fourth patch to complete the steering tunnel:
Click to view attachment
mbseto
Some strategy: Was puzzling over the best way to clean out the center tunnel. I realized that at some point in the process, every edge of the floor would get cut and re-welded. In fact, there's only a few inches of any edge that is not rusted through. So I figure I'll repair the longs and firewall but hold off on welding the floor back, then I'll drop the whole floor, clean out the tunnel and rust-proof, then repair the edges and weld it back in.
ssuperflyoldguy
Just a suggestion, when I do sheetmetal fab on rusty cars, I weld back in galvanized sheet metal. You can find at sheetmetal fabrication shops or order through metal distributors. At the very minimum, clean n prep metal n spray with weld through/cold galvanizing spray. Welding in untreated metal is just putting in new tin worm food.
mbseto
QUOTE(ssuperflyoldguy @ Jan 23 2016, 02:10 PM) *

Just a suggestion, when I do sheetmetal fab on rusty cars, I weld back in galvanized sheet metal. You can find at sheetmetal fabrication shops or order through metal distributors. At the very minimum, clean n prep metal n spray with weld through/cold galvanizing spray. Welding in untreated metal is just putting in new tin worm food.

Thanks for the input. I'm a little leery about welding galvanized steel. I don't have a professional-level shop, my ventilation is just a fan. Planning to have the whole thing grit blasted, rustproofed, and painted.
mbseto
Man, the voting is quite a job. Fun to see where everyone is at, I thought I was doing a good job keeping up on all the challenge builds, but there's quite a few I've tagged for a closer look.
rick 918-S
Lots of hand fab work. nice.
mbseto
Slow month. But started working on the tank. Dumped all the rust out:
Click to view attachment

Filled it full of electrolyte and plugged it in. What could go wrong?
Click to view attachment
mbseto
Results of electrolysis on the tank. I would turn on the battery charger and let it run overnight. The sacrificial electrode would get covered in rust and slowly the current would drop until it was too rusty to conduct. Each morning I shut it off and pulled the electrode out. After work, I would clean it up and stick it back in and do it all over again. This is the result after 4 or 5 sessions... before and after:

Click to view attachment

On a side note, my HF grinder spindle lock got really loose a while back and has been having trouble holding the spindle while I change discs. Took a few minutes and took the head off. Thought I'd take a look, although even 30 minutes is too much to spend fixing a 14 dollar tool. Turns out the casting broke away where it supports that little lock pin. Going to put up with it for now, if I get bored at some point I make get mix some JBWeld and fix it.

Click to view attachment
mbseto
Front passenger corner is pretty much rebuilt and strong, ready to support the front end of a brand new long.

Click to view attachment

That gaping hole that's left needs to have a piece that wraps around the corner and then extends into the long. I.e., it will be sandwiched between the two halves of the long. Here's the piece with the two halves:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

More on this later. The next step is to get the old long out of the way so this piece can be added in first.
mbseto
Now you see it, now you don't...

Click to view attachment

Final corner piece in, ready to fit the long:

Click to view attachment

mbseto
Anatomy Autopsy of a long...

Here's the whole thing as it came out. You see a lot of it missing with straight edges as if it were cut away. In reality, this was mostly rusted away and the jagged rusty edges were just trimmed off.

Click to view attachment

Condition of the motor mount. Going to remove this and clean it up, see if it can be saved. The hole on top was covered by a couple rectangular patches that looked like the were hammered in place and welded on- I think I posted pics earlier. Took them off when I cut out the engine shelf.

Click to view attachment

Condition of the pylon. Don't think this can be saved. There's a nest inside it, I'm afraid it is corroded from the inside beyond help. Have a little wager whether I'm going to find a little mouse skeleton inside.

Click to view attachment

Patchwork around the jack point. I was more critical of the previous work on this until I start welding my own patches in. sad.gif

Click to view attachment

More patch work...

Click to view attachment

And the forward section...

Click to view attachment

So in the end, hoped to have an educational experience in seeing how the frame is put together. I did learn a lot, but feel a little like a doctor that learned anatomy by dissecting a zombie. I hope I'm building a better Frankenstein.

914forme
Cool, I love dissections.
mbseto
Had a shop bend channel sections in 12g. Did the rest myself.Click to view attachment
Andyrew
12ga? Holy crap...
mbseto
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 18 2016, 10:45 PM) *

12ga? Holy crap...

That's the standard gauge plus the stiffener kit.
JoeDees
That's awesome right there.
buck toenges
How are you going to refinish your fuel tank on the inside?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.