Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting find on my car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Have been removing pillar and targa bar trim to tidy up and find it is wrapped in leather ? was that an option or has someone done this in the past?,it looks original.
EdwardBlume
I don't think it's leather, but vinyl maybe? I've seen it on early 73s.
Dave_Darling
What part is wrapped in leather? The padding inside, the "sail panel" and Targa bar, the windshield frame, or something else?

The sail panel vinyl was a very commonly-ordered option. Most 914s seem to have had it. Some very early 73s had vinyl around the windshield as well, across the top of the hoop and down the A pillar. The bottom edge of that was left bare, which gave it an unfinished look.

The padding and trim inside the car is plastic.

If any of the above are covered with actual leather, it is an aftermarket addition that someone decided to put on the car. Which could be cool, or could be "WTF were they thinking?"

Do you like it?

--DD
whitetwinturbo
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Aug 17 2015, 09:24 AM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

agree.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 17 2015, 11:41 PM) *

I don't think it's leather, but vinyl maybe? I've seen it on early 73s.

Definately leather,I know the differance,will post pic today,the trims show no signs of being recovered thats why I asked if it could be original.
You can also tell by the wear and scuff marks that it's leather.
I purchased a great leather recolour kit for my steering so these will get the same treatment also,cheers.

porschetub
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 18 2015, 03:06 AM) *

What part is wrapped in leather? The padding inside, the "sail panel" and Targa bar, the windshield frame, or something else?

The sail panel vinyl was a very commonly-ordered option. Most 914s seem to have had it. Some very early 73s had vinyl around the windshield as well, across the top of the hoop and down the A pillar. The bottom edge of that was left bare, which gave it an unfinished look.

The padding and trim inside the car is plastic.

If any of the above are covered with actual leather, it is an aftermarket addition that someone decided to put on the car. Which could be cool, or could be "WTF were they thinking?"

Do you like it?

--DD

Both windscreen pillar trims,LH side sail panel trim.
The top roof trim is vinyl as I had to glue the edges back but this came off my spare roof as my roof was sans that piece.
Yep its definately leather, VERY thin and smells like it also....sniff sniff biggrin.gif biggrin.gif tried my leather restore on it and it came up great,this stuff will not work on vinyl period.

Click to view attachment

Oh well if its not original then its a bonus then...right .
Dave_Darling
Yup, bonus!

--DD
SirAndy
I know of one 914-6 that came with leather interior from the factory ...
shades.gif
Dave_Darling
I thought that was seats and door panels and dash face, not the roll bar padding?

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 18 2015, 06:40 PM) *
I thought that was seats and door panels and dash face, not the roll bar padding?

That is correct, i should probably have clarified that statement ...
beerchug.gif
porschetub
Well it goes on, the targa bar trim is also covered in leather also,has one small rip @ the rear and some loose edges around the rear latches but judging by the performance of my leather restore kit it should come up ok .
rhodyguy
a little patina never hurt anything.
mepstein
40-45 year old cars. Lots of things happen to these cars over the years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.