Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Diesel engine transplant
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arkitect
I did a search and didn't come up with any. With the turbo diesel engines in the newer vw beetle and the like, wondering if anyone has attempted this transplant.

There are all kinds of other teener engine transplants... Subaru, Chevy small block, Mazda rotary, Audi and 6 cylinder Porsche engines of course but no diesel.

The 1.6 diesel from the info I seen was getting 50 mpg, pretty impressive.

Dave
billh1963
914 Diesel Conversion
Mark Henry
If it's an older VW diesel engine you could run veggie, newer engines you can't.
To run veggie it's best to run a coolant pipe through the veggie (main) tank and you should have a small straight diesel tank for start up. You would also need to be able to switch tanks. In California you may be able to get away with not preheating the veggie, that's mostly for cold starts.
A friend has run straight veggie for years, he has a shed with a settling/filter tank and hits up restaurants for used oil.
A turbo diesel would be sweet.
DBCooper
That's ironic, you're thinking about a diesel into a 914 while I'm doing almost exactly the opposite, looking for a diesel Vanagon, one of the worst engine/vehicle combinations ever, to install a gasoline engine.

JRust
I love Diesel's & would totally do one. The newer 1.9 motor's are sweet. I think in a 914 it would do 60mpg easy. Plus the torque & HP can be impressive. I would love to do this conversion & plan to someday. Not anytime soon though
914forme

Do a Subaru Diesel

I would love to do one of these in a Karmann Ghia, with AWD. happy11.gif
Mike Bellis
Many of the 1.9 TDI's use the same Audi/VW/Boxster transaxle. It would be a pretty easy swap... relatively easy...
trojanhorsepower
I think that would be awesome. I wonder how easy parts would be to get for the Subi diesels. I don't know anything about them, are they good motors?
Hank914
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Aug 18 2015, 06:42 PM) *

I think that would be awesome. I wonder how easy parts would be to get for the Subi diesels. I don't know anything about them, are they good motors?

I don't know about Subi diesels but their gas engines clock over 250-300k miles, which is diesel-ish. Nothing wrong with that kinda lifespan, and TCO. But with 1.7 engines as dirt cheap as they are, I could replace a 1.7 every 75k miles, and after 4 engines still be money ahead. But without the Subi power...
porschetub
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 19 2015, 01:05 PM) *

Many of the 1.9 TDI's use the same Audi/VW/Boxster transaxle. It would be a pretty easy swap... relatively easy...

The 1.9 VW TDI is an awesome engine,very strong and has bags of torque,can be chipped cheaply also...super cheap to run,good call Mike.
thelogo
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Aug 18 2015, 07:00 PM) *

QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Aug 18 2015, 06:42 PM) *

I don't know about Subi diesels but their gas engines clock over 250-300k miles, which is diesel-ish. Nothing wrong with that kinda lifespan, and TCO. But with 1.7 engines as dirt cheap as they are, I could replace a 1.7 every 75k miles, and after 4 engines still be money ahead. But without the Subi power...

Smart ,I like diesel but I like
Aircooled 1.7 better driving-girl.gif

" I'm telling you Apollo , you can't train him like a colored fighter. Can he swim ? With a name like ROCK ! "

Rocky 3 , training old
Chris H.
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 18 2015, 10:01 AM) *

That's ironic, you're thinking about a diesel into a 914 while I'm doing almost exactly the opposite, looking for a diesel Vanagon, one of the worst engine/vehicle combinations ever, to install a gasoline engine.

Does it have to be a diesel Vanagon? Mark (euro911) is probably selling his. What's the plan? Subaru transplant again?
DBCooper
QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 18 2015, 08:01 PM) *

Yeah.... .but then you'd be committing to driving a car with a 1.7 aircooled engine... like.... forever.... and .... um.... you know...

DBCooper
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 18 2015, 08:05 PM) *

Does it have to be a diesel Vanagon? Mark (euro911) is probably selling his. What's the plan? Subaru transplant again?

Yes, needs to be diesel, hopefully a Westy, and will get a Subaru gasoline. The 1.6 diesel Vanagons are the most underpowered and unwanted of them all, so they're relatively cheap. In California diesels are exempt from inspection, so with a nice Subaru 2.5 four I could cure that model's major deficiency and put together a pretty nice and functional motorized metal box. Can't do that with a gasoline Vanagon, in California you need to stay in the original engine configuration, which isn't a lot of fun.

bigkensteele
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 18 2015, 07:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 18 2015, 08:05 PM) *

Yes, needs to be diesel, hopefully a Westy, and will get a Subaru gasoline. The 1.6 diesel Vanagons are the most underpowered and unwanted of them all, so they're relatively cheap. In California diesels are exempt from inspection, so with a nice Subaru 2.5 four I could cure that model's major deficiency and put together a pretty nice and functional motorized metal box. Can't do that with a gasoline Vanagon, in California you need to stay in the original engine configuration, which isn't a lot of fun.

Personal freedom and half the cost - move to the mid-west. There are no beaches, but really, how often do you go to the beach?
aircooledtechguy
A diesel conversion sounds cool. Howerver what about gearing??

A diesel doesn't rev very high compared to a gas motor. Sounds like a great way to get a high torque yet slower than normal Porsche. A diesel would likely only hit around 90mph (4Krpms) with a 901 before it was out of revs. Just sayin'. . .
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Aug 18 2015, 08:59 PM) *

A diesel conversion sounds cool. Howerver what about gearing??

A diesel doesn't rev very high compared to a gas motor. Sounds like a great way to get a high torque yet slower than normal Porsche. A diesel would likely only hit around 90mph (4Krpms) with a 901 before it was out of revs. Just sayin'. . .

You use an Audi 5 speed code DUK that comes with the 1.9L, it has taller gears for the diesel.
arkitect
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 18 2015, 06:05 AM) *

Went to this link, didn't see any picts....???? I was even logged in.

Dave
johannes
Want to ruin one more 914 ?
DBCooper
"Ruin"?

DBCooper
A Vanagon, "ruined": http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-vw-t...-9-tdi-5-speed/

JRust
I don't think it is ruined. That is awesome. I'd drive that
brant
It's 1983 again. ?
DBCooper
The blue vanagon double cab? No, it's an '88.

brant
I meant the paint and body kit
DBCooper
Yes. Sorry, I should have put a smiley.

arkitect
Going through the comments...one said that it did not look like a 1.9 liter, more like a 1.6 AAZ which isn't a direct injection.

Don't know enough about them to tell by looking.

Dave
brant
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 19 2015, 10:28 PM) *

Yes. Sorry, I should have put a smiley.

biggrin.gif
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 19 2015, 07:07 PM) *

Ruined?? Really?? I guess we could agree to disagree. biggrin.gif

IMHO, ANYTHING you can do to get that POS OEM VW engine out that is poorly designed and fraught with problems since day-1, is a good thing. Great vehicles, as long as you get the factory motor out and something real in. With the stock motors, they are nothing but a huge repair bill just waiting to happen.

Install a Suby or I4 VW motor (gas or diesel) or Zetec or ??? and they are reliable and great vehicles. Just my .02 having worked on too many to want to remember and would prefer to forget. shades.gif

I'd roll in that Doka in a heartbeat!!
DBCooper
Ha ha ha, I know exactly what you mean and agree TOTALLY, even knowing I'm offending some VW purist somewhere. Way (way) before your time but you know that walk you take with the owner around to the back of a bus that you already heard coming in, really not wanting to give him the bad news that you know is right under that smoking deck lid? I used to HATE that part of the job.

Chris H.
I think the original "ruin" comment pertained to 914 conversions....so you guys should knock that off... dry.gif poke.gif . Next thing you know someone will ruin an air-cooled VW Variant of some kind. And then...WRX Turbo Beetles...! WHY????

Yeah the Vanagon "water jacket engine" thing was an interesting design. Some people swear by them but I'd rip that out in a second. Rather find one with the motor already blown.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 20 2015, 01:47 PM) *
Next thing you know someone will ruin an air-cooled VW Variant of some kind. And then...WRX Turbo Beetles...! WHY????

Ha ha, I've got two 914/WRX's parked in back right now. You leave something lying around here for too long and we'll defile it. My son's old '58 ragtop:

IPB Image

And what's now a dependable and VERY fast WRX/notch:

IPB Image

But no! It gets even WORSE!! Here's a contest of speed (oh no!) between two busses. In this heat the split window takes it easily from the bay. Note the radiator in the split's roof rack, and if you look closely you'll notice there's even a little 914/WRX content!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g9anN0RNO4

Yes, I know, making Kombi's fast? We should all be shot, right? But I don't think anything gets "ruined" when you upgrade it to be truly usable and fun. There's a Ford Model A group in town, geezers going 50 mph. What's significant is that when you pass ten of them going down the road in their slow line you notice that not even one of them is smiling. Now the Model A hot rodders, on the other hand, those guys are mostly old too but they're still tearing it up. From my point of view the geezers could benefit by kicking their heels up a bit and maybe "ruin" a few more of those cars. But, truly, to each his own and, hopefully, live and let live.

Crap, all that and no diesel content. Sorry, I got carried away by that "ruined" thing. It won't happen again. I hope.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.