Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 102 RON, no ethanol
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thieuster
A local station sells 102 RON fuel, without ethanol. My other classics love it, but these have carburated engines (SUs and Weber).

How does the 914 react to that sort of stuff? Experiences? Do's & Don'ts? I really would like to read your comments.

Menno
matthepcat
QUOTE(thieuster @ Aug 18 2015, 11:39 PM) *

A local station sells 102 RON fuel, without ethanol. My other classics love it, but these have carburated engines (SUs and Weber).

How does the 914 react to that sort of stuff? Experiences? Do's & Don'ts? I really would like to read your comments.

Menno

Seems like a waste of $ for an engine that does not have the compression or tuning needed to harness the benefits. Probably best to run a fuel additive and swap out your rubber fuel lines with ethanol rated rubber.

100+ fuels make my 2.2s 6 happy though.
thieuster
... should have added that 99% of the stations here only sell 95 RON or 98 RON with Ethanol. Only a handful petrol stations in Holland sell classic car friendly stuff.

Now, 95 RON isn't what the docter ordered, according to the decals near the fuel tank stating that 98 is the stuff for the Teener engine. I don't know if there's a difference between markets, my car is a 73 2.0 European specs car.

Price-wise, the 102 RON is more expensive. But hey, to start with, petrol is eyewatering expensive overhere in Holland. And I don't drive more than about 3K miles/year. We're talking nickles and dimes here.

Menno
GeorgeRud
Other than the increased cost, it should work fine and the lack of ethanol should help save the fuel system in a car that's only occasionally driven.
Dave_Darling
It's only 4 points higher than what the 1.7 is spec'ed for. Should not cause any problems.

(For those of us in the US who are going cuckoo about 100+ octane, remember that RON is a different ratings scale than we use. The 102 RON gas would be labeled 97 or 98 octane at a US pump. Still high, but not quite race gas.)

--DD
johnhora
Menno...
I think you already answered your own question...
"My other classics love it"

If your TR3A and SAAB 96 love it so will your 914...

You know I get all these answers that by me using VP-110 (MON 107/RON 113) race fuel in my old 914-6 street car it's just a waste and bla bla bla.....sure it is 2.5 times more expensive that the local "oxygenated"gasoline with alcohol, MTBE and who knows what else ..
but every time I go out and start the 45 year old car...all I have to do is press the gas pedal down 3 times to wet the carb chokes and turn the key and it starts right up....every damn time....heck even my lawn mower and 2 cycle leaf blower run better with it....
So bottom line it works for me and apparently for your vintage Triumph and SAAB
Your 914 will like you a lot more.... biggrin.gif
Have Fun driving your vintage cars!
thieuster
Thanks for the comments, guys! I was afraid that the Injection system would 'oppose against it'.

So, off to the petrol stations two block from my house next time I have to fill the tank!

Menno
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.