Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sail panel area rust repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
This is a picture from a friend that currently has this car. I will be picking up in a week and a half. Under carriage and hell hole are solid. As are trunks etc. This is the only spot in need of repair. Other side is good. Wondering how this should be repaired? How much should be cut out? Should it be fabbed or do I need a chunk cut out of a donor car? I am going to take this straight to the repair shop to fix before doing anything else since the car is stripped down., then using it as a non-rusterd tub (well as rust free as we get here on the east coast) to transfer over all my stuff from my other 75 to it, since my copper car needs long repair e5c and could be extensive, I want a car to drive while it's getting the "treatment".

So what are my best options ?
Thanks for the advice
Phil
mepstein
There's more behind the curtain. Scotty b did that repair in my car. Check out my build thread. Resto design is making the metal tube but the full repair is a chore
Cairo94507
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif Once that is ground down you will begin to see what is going on. The real answer will come once that area is cut out. I would buy the reproduction piece and install it so it is done and done right.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 19 2015, 09:16 AM) *

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif Once that is ground down you will begin to see what is going on. The real answer will come once that area is cut out. I would buy the reproduction piece and install it so it is done and done right.

i agree, i want it done right, because im going to use this as my driver while i have the work done ont he other car. so is the repro piece from restoration design, and is it the whole jamb and sail pannel? Maybe there is a donor car out there with a good piece on it. ill take a look at the website. It still looks like a lot less work than what my copper 75 has in store..... longs,jack points etc. wacko.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 19 2015, 09:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 19 2015, 09:16 AM) *

i agree, i want it done right, because im going to use this as my driver while i have the work done ont he other car. so is the repro piece from restoration design, and is it the whole jamb and sail pannel? Maybe there is a donor car out there with a good piece on it. ill take a look at the website. It still looks like a lot less work than what my copper 75 has in store..... longs,jack points etc. wacko.gif

The restoration design piece is a very nice one. If you decided you want a donor car piece, though, let me know. We have a few parts cars and probably have it.
DRPHIL914
thanks for the offer, steve. once i get my eyse on it i will know better. i just looked at the restoration pieces. full sail panel is $140, and probably not necessary. and the full door jamb is also $100 and may not be necesary, but i wont know until i start poking around on it. i am hoping it has not spread too far. according to what ive been told the car has been dry storage for 10 years, and was getting prepped for restoration, had been a d.e. and a.x. car before being set asside for other race projects. so i assume since rust does not sleep, even in storage, it may have been more than he wanted to do. but the rest of the car is in better shape than what i have now. i think i have seen someone else do this repair on their own here and they were able to just take about an inch or two all the way around that out, clean it and use the rust encapsulator products inside the cavity to stop the spreand and then closed it up with a donor piece. I know our local porsche shop has a guy that can get that done, but if i get a donor piece it will save him a bunch of time andme a bunch of $$
cary
I've cut out and patched a couple times. It works, but it really isn't the correct repair. Under the sail panel is some structural supports that rust because of the foam that the factory used behind the door handle and the sail panel. As these cars go up in value the removal of the complete sail panel will become a more common repair. It's usually a nasty mess in there.

The question is, do you what a 10-15 year repair or a forever repair. My .02c.

Oh yeah forgot to mention. You don't have to use the entire RD piece. Just cut back to good solid metal and cut out the new section that you need.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.