Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Mount Thread....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeM
Hi all...can anyone refer me to a "how to" thread on replacing the 2 inner mounts on my 74 2.0 liter? The round rubber ones. Looks like the nuts are very difficult to access.
Thanks,
Mike
worn
QUOTE(MikeM @ Aug 19 2015, 06:43 PM) *

Hi all...can anyone refer me to a "how to" thread on replacing the 2 inner mounts on my 74 2.0 liter? The round rubber ones. Looks like the nuts are very difficult to access.
Thanks,
Mike

They are difficult. It helps to have a variety of 13 mm wrenches to bring to bear on it. Can be done though. Sorry I do not have a step by steb, but am trying to offer encouragement. Tell you one thing: worn out mounts will make shifting gears an endless nightmare.
ThePaintedMan
Don't know about a thread, but...

1) Support the car on jackstands at the rear
2) Support the engine with a hydraulic jack and a fairly wide block of wood (to distribute the stress on the aluminum case)
3) You can either drop the entire engine bar, or unbolt it from the mounts, then raise the engine about an inch.
4) Replace the mounts (it takes a little patience and finagling to get your hands and tools in there, but it can be done) It may be easier at that point to unbolt the steel mount "holders" from the case, then install the new mounts in those, then bolt them back to the case.
5) Reattach the engine bar and bolt the bottom of the mounts back to it
6) Lower the engine and snug up the engine mounts
7) Remove jackstands and driving.gif
MikeM
Thanks guys....appreciate it.
Cody914
When I did mine I used a small 1/4" drive socket wrench to fit up in there. It was a tip I picked up on these forums and it helped. It's a PITA and takes some patience. I think it was the passenger side that was much more difficult to reach.
Dave_Darling
I removed the oil filter, and let it drip for a while. That allowed me to reach in from the passenger's side and get a socket or wrench on the upper fasteners. It was tedious, something like 1/12 of a turn at a time.

--DD
MikeM
Sounds like this will be fun!!!
Alapone
That thing about not knowing what you don't know.......

I am getting a subtle left right shutter from the engine that has come on recently. Am I right to think engine mount worn out?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.