Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Excellence Magazine Project 914-3.6 for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
With Andy's permission I wanted to announce my great disappointment and announcement that due to health reasons I am going to sell Project 914 3.6. Can't drive a clutch car anymore. I will post a full overview of the car. I wanted to give this forum who supported me the first shot at the car before going to eBay. The car has an outstanding portfolio being featured in a 19 part series in Excellence Magazine of the entire build. It has won first place in any Concoures entered. I have been told many times it is the finest 914 built in many opinions. It has every conceivable option and has 8200 miles since full restoration. Again I will give a full breakdown of the car in the classified by the weekend. There are still several articles on the Excellence Website and much info posted in this forum about the build. A search here will find a lot. Many here have seen and ridden in the car and will hopefully chime in to the quality of the build. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to snag a car like this far less than a build would cost you.

Excellence articles:

Part 17

Part 18

The price will be a very reasonable $60k It would cost the average over $100k to build one like this. PLEASE do not contact me unless you are serious and have the cash. The sale is hard enough without dealing with tire-kickers. More info coming.....be patient while I assemble the records. Here are a few pics:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Paul I am sorry to see this posting. I have to believe this 100% top-fight car will sell in no time at all.

I wish I could buy it and would happily give you $60K for the privilege of owning your car. I know it is perfect in every way and also know what it costs to put this level of a car together. At $60K this is the deal of the century.

ConeDodger
When it first ran, I was one of the first to get a ride. I've known for weeks that this was coming. I'm so sorry it had to come to this Paul.

Good luck with the sale. sad.gif
whitetwinturbo
wub.gif

..........sorry to hear about your problems.
Steve
pray.gif
Sorry to hear about your health problems. I have never seen this car in person, but I have followed all the posts on world and collected all the Excellence issues with your car in it. It's definitely the nicest build I have ever seen. I wish I had the money to buy it.
EdwardBlume
I so want this car, but I so can't do it. Someone with the means should be all over this today.

Sorry to hear about your health. Sometimes the tough decisions are the correct ones. God bless!
Mueller
Nice car....1st time ever seeing this...I guess I need to start reading Excellence again and find some back issues...good luck with the sale, the car is a beauty.
iwanta914-6
I agree $60K is a steal. Unfortunately I'd have to steal $60K in order to buy it. That is an amazing 914 and should sell quickly.
Dave_Darling
I'm sorry to hear that you have to sell. And I agree with everyone else--it's a bargain at $60K, but one that I cannot currently afford.

--DD
914forme
I have a different view here, and not sure if this would be the way around or not. But I know what I live with day to day, and when my health was out of control, I swapped to a car that was an auto for the same reason, my left side (leg and arm) was pretty much not usable except for very basic functions. I could still type so which was vary important for my job.

I hated the tiptronic in that ride so much, I swapped back to a stick, and then started doing large amounts of workouts on my left side to bring a modified functionality back. I know if that did not work, you can get items that allow you to drive a stick trans with out needing to opperate the clutch. Check out the duck clutch system.

Yes its a modern day sporto, in concept, once I found that I figured wrst case if I lost my left hand function also, I could still drive a stick.

I can now say with much rehab, I can still drive a clutch, and I enjoy my drives much more every day.

Not trying to be a hatter, just giving you solutions. Not even sure what your facing, just know what I live with, and this was and is my solution if I need to employ it in the future.

Great car, now like Mike I need read through all the back issues. Sorry I missed that build.

Hope it works out for you.
PRS914-6
Thanks guys, no terrible health issue, I'm still functioning pretty well and enjoying life. I have spinal stenosis that causes the left leg to go numb but I can control it to an extent. The 914 position with legs in front instead of down like a chair as well as the clutch causes me days worth of misery after I drive it any distance. It's the car or a risky major back surgery....the car goes.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Aug 20 2015, 09:19 AM) *

Thanks guys, no terrible health issue, I'm still functioning pretty well and enjoying life. I have spinal stenosis that causes the left leg to go numb but I can control it to an extent. The 914 position with legs in front instead of down like a chair as well as the clutch causes me days worth of misery after I drive it any distance. It's the car or a risky major back surgery....the car goes.

Do some yoga, get a Cayman GTS with PDK and get back out there!
Eric_Shea
Bargin (and 1/2) thumb3d.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 20 2015, 07:58 AM) *
I'm sorry to hear that you have to sell. And I agree with everyone else--it's a bargain at $60K, but one that I cannot currently afford.

agree.gif

Most certainly in the top 10 of best custom 914 builds ever.
I have driven this car and it is everything you think it is.

Sad to see it go but sometimes one has to make tough decisions.

I really hope the car will go to a good home ...
smile.gif
bigkensteele
Hmmm... Do my kids REALLY need to go to college? idea.gif

I am also in the "wish I could afford it camp". You won't have any trouble selling this car, but I think it should go for more than $60k. I was absolutely hooked on the build, and couldn't wait for the next Excellence back then. I was actually kinda sad when you finished it.

If there aren't any takers here, I am certain that you could sell it on Pelican. Those guys are beginning to respect 914s.

I know that you are selling it with some sadness, and I really hope your condition improves. I can certainly understand your decision, though.
matthepcat
More pictures please!
campbellcj
Best of luck with your health and the sale!

To anyone who scoffs at the asking price -- go ahead and build a comparable one yourself and report back how that turns out. Bonus points for tracking your time spent as well as cash outlays.
larryM
$60K firm will winnow the field nicely

i will add testament to the quality having been beaten by your car in SVR Concours - (the only criticism the judges had was finding a dog hair on the passenger seat)

you will get all the usual "advice" from the peanut gallery - starting with "it should be worth more"; "i'd buy it but my own project is only half-done & i can't sell it yet" and ending with "the pig ate my hidden stash, else i'd jump'd on it yesterday"

- ignore the "post more pictures" crowd - it ain't necessary to waste your time to further prove what is already posted all over the web & in Excellence

unless the stock market tailspins, that car can sit a very long time in storage and still command your price when the right cash buyer finally discovers it, or one of us hits a jackpot

you are not alone - i too, have hip & knee problems that have limited my sportscar driving - so i know how painful it can be to "enjoy the driving"

- fwiw - i have a sports-car buddy with similar stenosis who was 30 minutes from going under the knife when the surgery was cx'd for technical reasons - he has since miraculously recovered via focused therapy over the past year - (meanwhile he sold his $60K elva racer & bo't a big SUV with 8-way living room style comfort seats)

ain't many guys here or on Pelican able & willing to drop $60K cash on a 914-x of any ilk

nevertheless - there is real money out there - I recently had a valid 60K cash offer on my GT from a dealer-collector (with intent to compete in Euro old-timer events where provenance is more important than here in States), but after 3 weeks deliberation (we) decided to keep it awhile longer; given my driving challenges, - it was a hard decision to pass on the deal - confused24.gif

- especially on a car that is rarely driven, is too valuable to chance breaking on the track, and shares sports-car attentions with 3 others in the garage, (including a DD miata which as the pundits say "... is the only sports car you will ever need" ( agree.gif ) )

- in the end, my better half said "not yet, no matter what the price is, nor if you never ever get as good an offer again" - (-cuz we [i] still enjoy driving & showing it occasionally)

apparently, you have already passed that decision point

so ,,, good luck, Paul

p.s. - in 2007, the late Bruce Anderson told me "... put it on eBay at triple reserve and see what the market says ....." it is a worldwide market place, and the serious buyers will come in privately after the auction ends .......

PRS914-6
Thanks! I'm in no hurry and don't need the money. It can sit. As you said the car is well documented. Those that have seen it and driven it know it is special. In October I'll list it on eBay and Pelican if nobody shows interest here. This group deserves a shot....I'll be patient

Thanks
ConeDodger
Currency differences will have this car going to another country long before anyone gets it together here... dry.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 30 2015, 05:50 AM) *

Currency differences will have this car going to another country long before anyone gets it together here... dry.gif

Euro rates have moved against Euro buyers, but the premiums for air cooled haven't seemed to cool.

You are seeing more conversions coming out now, but buyers need to be discerning on quality, age, and use.

I think $60K for this car is a screaming deal, for a car way more exciting than a real /6.
larryM
i do note that your old site link seems to be dead

http://www.sayegh.me/sayegh/914.html
Porsche 914 Build

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Aug 29 2015, 10:49 PM) *

Thanks! I'm in no hurry and don't need the money. It can sit. As you said the car is well documented. Those that have seen it and driven it know it is special.

euro911
I suffer from the same affliction, Paul, but my condition seems to pale in comparison. I am trying to avoid surgery as well, the 'numbers' just aren't good enough yet. I perform PT at home at least 4 days a week. My legs are the least of my problems, but do develop numbness in my arms and hands, even just holding a phone up to my ear for any length of time dry.gif Thankfully, the lower steering wheel and shifter arm positions haven't become an issue yet driving.gif

My car is nowhere near the caliber of yours, so I'm in the process of converting it to a hydraulic clutch system - and hoping it's going to be as smooth and easy as my Toyota.

Obviously you know what's in your best interests, and totally dependent on your desire to keep and drive this gem, as was already mentioned, would a sportomatic conversion be a viable option you that would even consider?
larryM
Did it Sell?

if who's got it now?

- there was a "sighting rumor" in Sac'to region awhile back that could have been this car ??

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Aug 19 2015, 08:09 PM) *

I am going to sell Project 914 3.6.

The price will be a very reasonable $60k It would cost the average over $100k to build one like this.

PRS914-6
Yes it sold at the asking price quite awhile ago. I don't know where the car is located now but I believe Southern Cal.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jan 21 2017, 08:39 PM) *

Yes it sold at the asking price quite awhile ago. I don't know where the car is located now but I believe Southern Cal.

When Paul told me the asking price, I was working out the moves in my head that would have put it in my garage. I thought the asking price was too low. Paul is a friend and I respect his decision to sell at that price, but I would have asked a lot more. In the end, it apparently was a quick no hassle deal and Paul is happy. As his friend, that is all I could ask...

And no, I will not tell you what that price was.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.