Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front sway bar drop link binding on a-arm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
The drop link is binding with the a-arm bracket to the point that it's ground the metal at the top of the bracket to a point. I'm confused as to why it's happening, the bar is a 22mm weltmeister mounted through the factory front sway bar mounts, so the geometry should be correct, right? Any thoughts how I can stop it? It creaks like crazy everywhere I drive.

IPB Image
maf914
Could be the angle of the photo, but it appears the arms of the u-bracket have been pinched. The two arms of the bracket should be parallel. The photo seems to show the round rust traces of a spacer or washer on the inner surface of the left bracket arm. My guess is that there should be washers or spacers on either side of the drop link ball joint to center the ball joint and provide clearance for the ball joint from the u-bracket arms.

Is this a Weltmeister sway bar installation or Weltmeister drop link? Maybe someone with a Weltmeister sway bar will comment. Or you could look up Weltmeister sway bars and find a installation diagram to see what parts are used.

I found this on diagram on Paragon Products.

http://www.paragon-products.com/Weltmeiste...b-1000-1100.htm

ChrisFoley
There should be little top-hat spacers fitted between the rod end and the sides of the bracket.
The bracket sides are supposed to be parallel, not closer at the top.

It looks like someone drilled the bracket for a larger bolt than original, so the standard spacers won't really work anymore.
You'll need to fit small diameter washers between the rod end and the bracket ear to keep them further apart.
john77
Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.