Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How's this for an example of balls?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ntmatter
Bought a '76 914, sight unseen but knowing the passenger floor is rusted through. Drove it home 60 miles on I-5 without a buddy and with expired registration. And, just to make sure we all understand who wears the Dwayne Johnson-sized jock around here, I did this without telling the wife. Oh yes chums, I'm a bad, bad man.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Tom_T
Unfortunately with wives, you'll pay for it in the non-cash way once she see's it at home - no matter the size of your Cajones! biggrin.gif

Now for the sawzall-smiley.gif & welder.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
nine11speedster
Wow! biggrin.gif piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif
jsaum
Looks like you got a good deal I was looking at the CL add this morning.
stevegm
Congrats. Love the color. Enjoy.
wndsnd
Good job!

aktion035.gif
MSHax
Gotta be honest with you, when I saw the title and that an image was attached, I didn't want to open it out of fear it might of been actual...well....never mind.

I never told my exwife anything until after the fact. Coincidentally, we're divorced now biggrin.gif
mepstein
my wife doesnt care how many cars I buy as long as she has her parking space in the garage.

I'm picking up an aubergine car next week. biggrin.gif
JawjaPorsche
You hide it at your friend's house and then wait for that perfect moment to spring it on your wife. beerchug.gif
somd914
Nice project, congrats!

Hopefully after the divorce you'll still have the 914 and enough cash left for its projects...
MSHax
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Aug 20 2015, 06:08 PM) *

You hide it at your friend's house and then wait for that perfect moment to spring it on your wife. beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif I actually did that when I first got married. Then I moved on to stage 2; Drive away in your car, then you drive it home in the new car and tell her you painted yours. Then stage 3 is say it's your friends that your just parking at your place for a little bit. stage 4 you say "well it's either my car hobby, or a young hot girl as a hobby". By stage 5 you just don't give a crap anymore and say "yup, bought another one, going to the garage, see you in a couple days" tongue.gif
ejm
With no mention of alcohol, loose women or imperial entanglements I can only rate your ballsy-ness an 8 out of 10. You'll still need good luck with the little lady.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 20 2015, 08:02 PM) *

my wife doesnt care how many cars I buy as long as she has her parking space in the garage.

agree.gif Same here. Heck sometime I can even get Julie to come out and help me pull parts. wub.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 20 2015, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 20 2015, 08:02 PM) *

agree.gif Same here. Heck sometime I can even get Julie to come out and help me pull parts. wub.gif

Mine has no interest in working on cars.
My old strategy was to only own red cars.
I don't think she realizes that I still own 3 red ones.
She did ask why I didn't go to Octeenerfest this year.
I think she just wants me out of the house.

ntmatter
This will definitely be my winter project - I have a 993 as my "showy" car and this'll be the opportunity to learn how to do rust repair. My wife's pretty tolerant of my little whims, probably at least in part as I'm the one who works and also because it keeps me from chasing after floozies.

It looks like it had about 2" of standing water in it (there seems to be a waterline in the footwell carpet), so I'm wondering if it'd been stored with a window open or something. Seems like a lot of water for a leaky seal. I de-rusted a 912 a few years ago so this won't be totally foreign ground, but I've never had to weld in new floor panels so that'll be interesting.

Most of the rest looks pretty rust-free, though I haven't found the button for the rear trunk yet. The tires look like they've been sitting in the Mojave sun about 10 years, maybe 9 years - light grey with deep cracks everywhere. I think I got pretty lucky to make it back without mishaps. 1st and second shift nice and clean, but there's a bit of motor hesitation at higher speeds and it idles too low - all fixable. Original color was German Safety Cone Orange, and it was repainted orange (possibly by Earl Scheib himself), but since the rubber is all scabby anyway I'll pull it and sand it down then maybe try painting it myself.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll see me posting for advice and spare parts,

A.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(ejm @ Aug 20 2015, 06:52 PM) *
Imperial entanglements

lol-2.gif

I would have been a harsher judge!
ntmatter
I myself prefer to avoid any ... imperial entanglements. But that's the trick, isn't it?
Larmo63
I wouldn't want to be married to someone who could tell me what I can and can't have as a grown man.

Oh, and……. welcome.png
pete000
It has the auxiliary air vents in the floor !

Big Len
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 21 2015, 01:20 AM) *

I wouldn't want to be married to someone who could tell me what I can and can't have as a grown man.

Oh, and……. welcome.png

agree.gif
sb914
welcome.png
EdwardBlume
agree.gif
welcome.png welcome.png

May your balls heal and your wallet stay filled.
Annapolis914
Ballsy play and bravo!

Enjoy!
iwanta914-6
I would have no balls left and I'd be living in it if I pulled that stunt. Hmm, at least I'd have a 914 then...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(MSHax @ Aug 20 2015, 08:56 PM) *

Gotta be honest with you, when I saw the title and that an image was attached, I didn't want to open it out of fear it might of been actual...well....never mind.

I never told my exwife anything until after the fact. Coincidentally, we're divorced now biggrin.gif

I fail to see the coincidence... blink.gif
JoeDees
I made a very similar excursion when I bought my 1970 VW bus. Sight unseen, took the Greyhound and then drove it back with only one friend knowing where I went. The bus then broke down 100ft from home.
Bob L.
you might need one of these...

Click to view attachment
Steve
When your living paycheck to paycheck, you can't get away with stuff like that.
whitetwinturbo
There are worse things you could be caught with................
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.