Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS Set of Gas Burner Wheels (5)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
pdq356
From a '76 914 this set of rare Gas Burner wheels is in great original condition. These were the lightest wheels ever fitted to a 914, manufactured by Mahle they are 5 1/2 X 15. No curb rash but there is a ding in one (fix or use as spare). Original center caps are included. With or without very old tires, your choice. Pickup is free, shipping slightly more. $1225 for all 5.
litesonic
... made the same mistake when I picked up my 76.

These were any appearance upgrade and being a forged aluminium they are lighter than the steel wheels (close to 18lbs ea) weighing only 13.2lbs ea ... which is pretty thrifty for a 15in wheel. In fact, these weigh almost the same as the 2.0 liter fuchs.

However, the real forged magnesium gas burners weigh under 10lbs each and look slightly different (5 lugs v. these have 4.) People have referred to these as "baby burners" which sounds scary, but I get the idea that they are similar.

Good luck with your sale.
mepstein
Not the lightest, not the strongest, not forged, not gas burners and certainly not rare. Normal sale price is around $400 for a set of 4 or 5 and it cost more to fix one than to buy one.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 21 2015, 09:57 AM) *

Not the lightest, not the strongest, not forged, not gas burners and certainly not rare. Normal sale price is around $400 for a set of 4 or 5 and it cost more to fix one than to buy one.

agree.gif
914Sixer
Most important item with these wheels is to put them on a spin balance and see if they are STRAIGHT ! I would guess 2 or 3 will not pass inspection. Wheels were cast and were prone to warp.
mtndawg
A person could find a pretty decent set of nicer Fuchs or Mahle's for the same price (or probably less).
Chris H.
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 21 2015, 09:57 AM) *

Not the lightest, not the strongest, not forged, not gas burners and certainly not rare.

But other than that...nailed it confused24.gif ?
funk
not a bad price if you are comparing it to samba? but really even on samba a couple months back I got a set of genuine 2.0 fuchs for 350$ yes that's three hundred and fifty dollars on samba. usually the 2.0s are just a bit pricier than the mahles so Yes indeed here on 914 world we are helping our fellow 914 drivers to get their baby's drive able.
and yes the 2.0s I bought were straight and in very driving-girl.gif restorable driving-girl.gif driving-girl.gif condition)Rev em up cats
funk
QUOTE(litesonic @ Aug 21 2015, 07:43 AM) *

... made the same mistake when I picked up my 76.

These were any appearance upgrade and being a forged aluminium they are lighter than the steel wheels (close to 18lbs ea) weighing only 13.2lbs ea ... which is pretty thrifty for a 15in wheel. In fact, these weigh almost the same as the 2.0 liter fuchs.

However, the real forged magnesium gas burners weigh under 10lbs each and look slightly different (5 lugs v. these have 4.) People have referred to these as "baby burners" which sounds scary, but I get the idea that they are similar.

Good luck with your sale.

is there a difference between forged and real forged? lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
Chris H.
For the original poster, just FYI a "gas burner" is a 5 lug rim. Very light, and highly sought after, actually has a circular center section that makes them look like a 15" gas stove burner. For that price they would probably be sold in an hour unless they were bent.

Internet pic:

Click to view attachment

Yours are Mahle 4 lugs. Decent rims, but they don't sell for nearly as much.
914bub
opps
JawjaPorsche
I noticed you are a newbie. These will sell but not at the price you asking. I bought five mahles three years ago for $350 and they came with almost new tires and the long lug bolts too. Yes, I was lucky.

My guess is if you offered them for around $500 you might get offers.

Shipping also bumps up the price too because it will be over $150 shipping for five rims.
PotterPorsche
Sold mine just last year all straight for $450. Prices are 350-400 for all 4 just saying. The baddest 4 lug rims is the 2 liter fuchs forged.when i convert to porsche 5 lug I'm keeping my 4 lug fuchs .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.