Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can I end on #13?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RFoulds
Its been 15 years of 914 and 13 cars. I had some standout cars. a slant nose 2.2 liter, an original 914/6 with a hot rod 2.7, a 24k mile car fresh out of 20 years of storage, and more.

the last 6 were all low mile, no rust survivors. worn, showing patina, but worthy of a refresh and renew, not a full restore. every one of them I sold at profit, after enjoying for a few months or even a year. But...

Over the last 8 months, I have looked at close to 100 cars. Nothing I can find is truly a survivor. Low rust, maybe. no rust just isnt out there any more. at least not for under $20k.

I have to find one more. maybe it will be a keeper. but number 14 is eluding me so far.
iwanta914-6
I'd like to think that there are more out there. If $20k is the going rate, I may as well kill my dream of owning one...
Stacks914
Here is a pic from the security cameras of my garage. Just make me an offer...I can help u out for under 20k biggrin.gif
RFoulds
ummm, nope.
billh1963
Time marches on....these cars are getting older every day.

Between attrition and the increase in air cooled Porsche prices, Survivors are being squirreled away.

There may be a few more of those cars out there where the owner doesn't know what they have; however, those days are about gone,
914Sixer
Too many damm flippers have showed up to the party. Seems we can not stop the flood of speculators.
Spoke
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 21 2015, 07:02 PM) *

If $20k is the going rate...

I think I'd look for a 911 for that much.

I picked up this car for less than that in '09. Former Texas/Colorado car with zero rust. Don't think it would go that low now. Older 911 and looks like 914 values a getting stupid high.
mepstein
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 21 2015, 10:31 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 21 2015, 07:02 PM) *

If $20k is the going rate...

I think I'd look for a 911 for that much.

I picked up this car for less than that in '09. Former Texas/Colorado car with zero rust. Don't think it would go that low now. Older 911 and looks like 914 values a getting stupid high.

It would be $75-100K beerchug.gif
Stacks914
Jesus if that's a real turbo 20k is impossible. I think the only way to get a good car is plan on a build. Unless you want to shell out the cash.
EdwardBlume
I agree. The barn find original 914 isn't out there, and the second one comes up on CL its gone.

I'm glad. The 914 is a damn fun car, and what's left is the purists and hobbyists. You know the cars you need to stay away from, and that's what's pretty much out there....
JoeDees
It's there, but it's going to take some searching, timing, and luck.
Hank914
Yep. All the good ones are gone forever. Nothing left but the ones nobody would want. And after over 100,000 were made, nothing's left! Who knew the end would come?

Or not.

Keep looking because 14 is out there for you. Might not be a BB. Or a perfect 73. But they are out there, just not as obvious, or as plentiful or as cheap as before. Keep looking and where you find anything worth looking at bring your cash wad.
914bub
I agree. The "survivors" are gone or being hoarded, no doubt eventually crossing Barrett Jackson, under the gavel, for insane money. Do I wish I had a "survivor"? Sure, who wouldn't but at this point I'm just glad I got in when I did.

Three years ago, (next month), I got an email from a friend entitled, "what am I gonna do with this"? I opened the email and it was a picture of, (my now), 914. It sat in my buddys sister in laws garage since 1990. The car belonged to her father in law who had passed away. The car was then passed to his son who also passed away. My friend had to get paperwork done through 2 estates as the car had never been transfered into the sons name.

My buddy and I had been long time Volvo freaks and I had a european spec 1982 245 Turbo,(station wagon) my buddy had wanted forever.The car had been owned by the owner of a Volvo shop I worked for who eventually sold the car to a lady who knew nothing about it being a "grey market" european car, she just appreciated it as another Volvo station wagon. When the fuel pump died I picked the car up for $200. I then drove and appreciated it for 10 years. I lived right on the water in Santa Cruz so it was developing rust and I didn't want to deal with it on that particular car.

I had wanted a 914 since blasting around in a buddys 914 through high school. The rest is history.

Is my car a "survivor"? NO. It has rust and I'll have to deal with that. BUT, I drive my 914 every day to work,(a short commute to be honest). It also has faded paint, a dent in the passenger side door and needs "other work". It's NO gem but I sure am glad I got in the game when I did. I told my wife if I brought it home it would be the last project I brought home. I already have a 60's Manx clone, a 65 544, (volvo) under restoration, a 73 Volvo 142 with a 1995 B230ft, (turbo engine), a 77 Volvo 245 and a 66 Volvo 122. Not to mention her daily and a Harley.

I should cut the buggy loose as I have 4 kids so both the 914 and the buggy are completely impractical. Even though my car needs a lot of work still you can't beat the "smiles per miles" factor.

My point is, the "good" ones are all gone but if you can get in one "right", that isn't beat to hell, it's still worth it. I could drop 20K in my car and still not get hurt. It will never be concourse,....... it will always be fun!

To the rest of you guys and gals still looking, don't give up but expect, at this point to get a car needing work,.....or to pay a lot for one that doesn't. I couldn't do it if I were a "check writer" but I've done everything myself as I'm a mechanic by trade.

Sorry for the long post and for straying a bit off topic.
pete000
I saw this coming six years ago. I was lucky finding my 74 and my 70 six. I have a friend who saw the early 911 long hood frenzy coming about 15 years ago and I said he was nuts paying 24 grand for a 73 911 S that was really fresh. Now his car is well over 100K

I think now if you want a nice 914 you will have to build it or pay the bucks.
billh1963
If the Dow keeps dropping you may get some cheap cars....very soon
mepstein
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 22 2015, 02:26 PM) *

I saw this coming six years ago. I was lucky finding my 74 and my 70 six. I have a friend who saw the early 911 long hood frenzy coming about 15 years ago and I said he was nuts paying 24 grand for a 73 911 S that was really fresh. Now his car is well over 100K

I think RFoulds is talking about finding cars to flip, not keep.
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 22 2015, 12:11 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 22 2015, 02:26 PM) *

biggrin.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 22 2015, 02:58 PM) *

If the Dow keeps dropping you may get some cheap cars....very soon

Or, we may actually see their values go up. Tangible investment assets often appreciate/depreciate inverse to the financial markets.
914bub

Now that I reread, I think your right. Should have kept all the ones he's flipped,(for a profit according to him). I have no sympathy for flippers begging for cars. Go to thesamba to see how much the market has been screwed out of the true car lovers hands.

Some of us just want a car to enjoy, profit is not in the equation.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(914bub @ Aug 22 2015, 08:46 PM) *

Now that I reread, I think your right. Should have kept all the ones he's flipped,(for a profit according to him). I have no sympathy for flippers begging for cars. Go to thesamba to see how much the market has been screwed out of the true car lovers hands.

I wouldn't call Randy a flipper, per say. I think what he does is not unlike what I do, although I think he's much more meticulous about what he wants. I rarely keep a car more than a couple years. Usually about a year to a year and a half. I drive it, enjoy it, improve what I can, and sell it on. After many years, the only car I've ever lost money on was Scotty Boy's orange car.
There's too many cool cars out there to just keep one forever. I want to experience as many as I can! I like to enjoy them for a bit and then find something new.
BTW, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of Randy's cars after seeing his Willow Green early 914 that sold last fall. That car just made it on a magazine cover in Europe via its new owner.
914bub
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Aug 22 2015, 06:04 PM) *

QUOTE(914bub @ Aug 22 2015, 08:46 PM) *

I wouldn't call Randy a flipper, per say. I think what he does is not unlike what I do, although I think he's much more meticulous about what he wants. I rarely keep a car more than a couple years. Usually about a year to a year and a half. I drive it, enjoy it, improve what I can, and sell it on. After many years, the only car I've ever lost money on was Scotty Boy's orange car.
There's too many cool cars out there to just keep one forever. I want to experience as many as I can! I like to enjoy them for a bit and then find something new.
BTW, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of Randy's cars after seeing his Willow Green early 914 that sold last fall. That car just made it on a magazine cover in Europe via its new owner.

Is it Randy from "Oldbug" or another one?

I wasn't trying to be an ass.I apologize if I came across like that. Most people who fix up, (or restore) their cars will tell you your not going to make money on a car. It's more a labor of love for us.To have someone say they've made money on every one,(of 13 cars, since 2000), is either a stroke of luck or a call for a lottery ticket.

era vulgaris
QUOTE(914bub @ Aug 22 2015, 11:54 PM) *

To have someone say they've made money on every one,(of 13 cars, since 2000), is either a stroke of luck or a call for a lottery ticket.

I think you could also call it buying with an intention and with discretion of purpose. I definitely passed on several nice (and not so nice) cars in the search for my current car, all of which were right for someone but which I knew weren't right for my intentions.
If you're planning on keeping a car for years or decades, you're much more likely to overlook serious rust, mechanical, and/or aesthetic issues than someone who wants a car to enjoy and sell after a year or two. It's just a different perspective, not necessarily luck.
RFoulds
Thanks guys. I don't consider my self a "flipper," since I keep each car for about a year or more, and I drive them for my pleasure. Like a lot of collectors, I buy and sell often. When I feel one of my cars is 95% done, I put it up for sale, and if I get my price, it moves to the next owner. I rarely get them to 100 point cars before selling, but I give the buyer the option to have me finish it, or let them get some pleasure out of doing it themselves. Oly Blue I think I had for over 2 years. Its in Germany now.

I do flip other cars, SUV's, Jeeps, even 996, most I buy from auction and are gone within 30 days. but not 914. they are my love. The next one might be a keeper, it might not. But for now, the search continues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.