Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Loctite Suspension Bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Having a bit of a debate. I suspect nobody here has loctite on their suspension bolts.
Andyrew
I rarely ever even torque suspension bolts... Its typically as tight as I am comfortable with
porschetub
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 22 2015, 11:12 AM) *

I rarely ever even torque suspension bolts... Its typically as tight as I am comfortable with

As an engineer I can feel when bolts are tight but that takes years to learn,I still use a torque wrench on certain larger suspension bolts ,piece of mind mainly ....but I remind myself that someone else will be in the car besides me.
Loctite can do no harm if you feel better about it.
TheCabinetmaker
I learned all about torque wrenches, nuts, bolts, and related metallurgy in the air force jet mechanic school. I worked on the phased inspection docks removing, inspecting, and reassembling, more than a dozen different jets including fighters, trainers, and bombers. Like Porschetub I have the feel for torque. I have never even considered used locktite on a suspension part. They are usually such a bitch to remove that it would be madness to use locktite. Talk about shooting your self in the foot!
DBCooper
I don't recall ever seeing a suspension fastener come loose by itself, and until I do I can't see a real need. Is it just me? Have you seen any come loose?

McMark
I'm in the no loctite camp.
914Sixer
No need.
bdstone914
The only suspension bolt that needs it is the torsion bar adjuster bolt so it does not back off. The rest of them have lock washers.
Bruce
mepstein
I always thought the mild locktight had the benefit of keeping the bolts from corroding together and thus making removal easier. There are times that you dont want grease on the threads but dont want it to seize up. When I build bicycle wheels we used mild locktight for just this reason.
Bartlett 914
I go the other direction. I used never seze.
mepstein
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 22 2015, 09:12 AM) *

I go the other direction.

Its OK, we're all friends here.
JFJ914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 22 2015, 08:58 AM) *

I always thought the mild locktight had the benefit of keeping the bolts from corroding together and thus making removal easier. There are times that you dont want grease on the threads but dont want it to seize up. When I build bicycle wheels we used mild locktight for just this reason.

+1, not required for tightness but keeps the corrosion out.
Krieger
I have checked all my suspension bolts for torque over the years for both my cars. A lot of hard driving at autocross and DE. No locktite on any of them. Only one has ever came loose. This was the inboard side of the trailing arm equipment with Elephant's Poly Bronze bushing. This nut is a nylock too...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.