Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Old Yella
Hi
My tyres rub on the inner wheel wells I think I need some spacers. Anyone got any for 4 lug hubs. Tell me what you have.

Thanks
bdstone914
How is the clearance to the outer fender? Maybe you have too much negative camber and need to shim the trailing arms. If you do use a spacer you will need longer bolts and may have a hub centric issue unless you go with adapters that have their own studs.
mepstein
Is it the rear passenger tire thats rubbing. That usually means a failing suspension console.
bdstone914
What size tires are you using? Usually up to 205's can be used if the camber is correct and used with stock wheels.
euro911
Also, in addition to the questions above, what wheels are you running? ... have you measured the back-spacing?

Pix of your predicament would be helpful too ...
Old Yella
Wheels are factory mahle on a late 75 built car. Tyres are 60 x 195 Bridgestone Potenza. Should have gone 65 on 185. yeah I know. Dumb ass.

Tyres are great just rubs on inner front wheel well at full lock.
euro911
QUOTE(Old Yella @ Aug 21 2015, 11:23 PM) *
Tyres are great just rubs on inner front wheel well at full lock.
Ahhh, are you talking about the fronts?

If so, how much do they rub? Your wheels are designed for the 914, but yes, they weren't really designed for too wide of a tire. 195's shouldn't rub, but not all 195 tires are the same.

Check to see how much further you can turn the wheel after they start rubbing (a static test with the front of the car jacked-up, obviously).

I run 7mm spacers on my front hubs and 38mm long bolts, but I'm running ATS Classics that have less back-spacing than your Mahles.

Try different thickness test spacers to see how much you need to cure the problem ... you can make them from 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" plywood for testing purposes, then purchase nice billet spacers in the thickness you require (and longer lug bolts as needed).

popcorn[1].gif
StratPlayer
This seems to be a common problem with the 914, elephant racing makes a tire rub kit for the 914.

Something I found on the net: Check this link out: http://chircoestore.com/tech_articles/?p=231

#11 in the exploded view is what you're after. Check if there are bolts in there. If so, loosen the jam nut and unscrew the bolt a couple turns. If there aren't any bolts, you need some 8mm x 1.5mm pitch bolts and nuts.

Ideally, put the car on ramps or a drive-on lift. Or, take out the gas tank so you can get to the front end by the steering box with the wheels on the ground and weight on them. Turn the steering wheel until you feel contact with the wheel well. Back off slightly, then loosen the bolt until it contacts the pitman arm, then lock the locknut down. Do the same for the other side. Have a beer!

My beam had no steering stop bolts in it on my Spyder, but a very cheap and easy problem to solve. I also had to tap the holes, they were full of powdercoat.

Tire Rub Kit - Installation Instructions - LaneHolloway.com
euro911
I'm not experiencing that issue, but this is good info to know, Jim.

I'll have to look for the stop(s) next time I'm down under.
acracer
QUOTE(Old Yella @ Aug 21 2015, 09:52 PM) *

Hi
My tyres rub on the inner wheel wells I think I need some spacers. Anyone got any for 4 lug hubs. Tell me what you have.

Thanks

AIRCOOLED RACING makes any thickness wheel spacer you need for 5 and 4 lug. Contact us 717-432-4116
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.