Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone ever drive a midget ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
got914?
Hey my friend asked me to come along to check out a few cars

What can i expect from this ?
MSHax
You too!? I'm out looking at RAV4s today sad.gif
He's buying me lunch
anderssj
MG Midget? Ex had a 1970. I always felt like a circus bear in that thing (all I needed was the fez and the little red vest) blink.gif

It was fun (for short trips), but hot, pretty cramped--especially with the top up. The top tended to leak, so rust was a concern. Same with the rear trunk. Car tended to overheat too (at least while I was stationed at Luke AFB AZ). Car was pretty simple to work on, but with certain idiosyncrasies (Lucas electrics, goofy shock absorbers, etc.).

Oh, and if it's the early models with the 2-piece rear bumper, virtually every one of them had a dent between the bumpers below the trunk right where the license plate mounts . . . .

I think somebody here is working on one--they'll have more current info (we sold the car in 1975 or so, and I haven't touched one since) biggrin.gif

Should be a wealth of info on these things around the net.

Hope this helps!
DBCooper
I autocrossed a Bugeye Sprite with a 1275 45 years ago, then a MkII and a MK IV (same cars as the Midgets). They're fun, but they're old British sports cars, with everything that means, including Lucas electrics. I wouldn't have one today (they're REALLY small) but they're simple. And rust magnets.

Ian Stott
Back in the early seventies good friend had one with the engine improved and he did the parking lot race thru the pylons thing. Fun car,people pick on them a bit as they are typical British sports cars with all the above mentioned issues, but I had fun driving it especially on a nice sunny day! Just don't expect too much from it and enjoy what it can do, comparing it to a teener is, well you just can't!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
thieuster
We have a lot of these cars in the workshop. In short: I am exactly 6 feet and close to 200 pound. I cannot find a proper position behind the wheel. Very important that you check if you're comfortable behind the wheel. Certainly not the comfortable poisition of the 914!

Later Midgets had a Triumph engine - like the ones in the final series of the Triumph Spitfire. I don't know if this one is ever sold in the US. Earlier ones had a BMC engine. And it's very easy to upgrade / tune that engine!

US based Mossmotors.com has a great website if you're interested in parts prices etc

Menno
GeorgeRud
Used to tool around in my friend's Austin Healy Sprite (a rebadged Midget) back in our college days, and it was a simple British sportscar.

I'd definitely try one on for size since we're not as limber anymore and these are small cars. Make the 914 seem absolutely huge!
Shredhead
I have an 1953 MG TD. I bought it restored. Been driving it for 12 years with no issues whatsoever. Granted, not putting a lot of miles on it. I'm 6'3" and fit with no problem, although legs are short (31" inseam). Different car, but just a point of comparison. Sadly, I'm putting the TD up for sale as my 914 has taken over my life (and garage space) and I'm not giving it the attention she deserves.
rick 918-S
Building a 59 Bugeye Sprite. 1300 cc rated at 100hp Suzuki Swift engine, 5sp Samurai trans. The original 3 main 40hp with crash box is not my idea of fun.

Tom_T
My San Diego buddy had a white `60 Bugeye Sprite like Rick's pic, but with the stock 975cc motor & 4 spd trans, back in the 70's which was a hoot & never left him stuck.

We used to do an annual SR 1 Coast Hwy run from SD to SF & played "double the speed limit" on the way, & he could mostly keep up on the twisties with my 73 914-2.0 & our 3rd buddy's 68 Spitfire 1600cc, but we were mostly limited by the summer traffic even back in the 1970's.

Fun car! He laments selling it years ago.

The Midget is like an updated Bugeye, but not run up in collector prices from the cuteness factor of the Bugeyes. Sibling Mk 2 Sprite was so similar that they called the twins "Sprigets"! Hemmings Sports & Exotics have done a couple of articles on Sprites & Midgets in the past couple years, & well worth the read.

Have fun! driving.gif
Tom
///////
DRPHIL914
In high school I had a 69 Sprite. Same thing as a midget.
It was modified for a/x by previous owner. Big bore kit. Like a 914 , not fast but very very quick. I'd say faster than my 914 . It had toe and camber adjusted, fiberglass flares, wide stealie rims, I'll have to post a pic some time. Anyway first thing I had to do was the clutch and transmission. Motor was strong . Would love to find that car. ... now I sound like some of you looking for your 914 you had back in the day... no rust either, and it was a Minnesota car. Was so low.. had lots of fun on the old river roads. I will tell you I hated those dual weber carbs!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.