Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CRAP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
WTF.gif

Had a new windshield installed a year ago. Went out for a drive today and noticed a huge crack starting from the base of the windshield.

No impact or stone chip present. When they installed the windshield they commented on the time it took for the resin to harden. I ask why they were using that as this car uses an old style butyl rubber seal. They said all cars now use the modern materials. That is looking like a lot of BS now.

Well let's see if they honor their warranty?

Anyone else seen this happen?

Click to view attachment
BeatNavy
That sucks, Mike sad.gif . Many people here say you can't use the resin because the car flexes too much. I hope that's not necessarily the case - I've been running for about 18 months with the same setup you have. Knock on wood, but I haven't had any issues yet.
Dion
Sorry that happened to you.
Was it an "OEM" glass? I ask because I was
investigating glass installers and suppliers in my area and
one with a very good reputation will not install
any glass in any model of Porsche that was not one of
their suppliers (OEM) because of just that.
He has been in business for 35 years.
He's not sure what aftermarket companies are doing but they
just do not "fit" properly. He insists on anyone coming in to bring
OEM or he will order it for you.
I hope they stand behind the warranty.
Good luck.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Dion @ Aug 22 2015, 02:49 PM) *

Sorry that happened to you.
Was it an "OEM" glass? I ask because I was
investigating glass installers and suppliers in my area and
one with a very good reputation will not install
any glass in any model of Porsche that was not one of
their suppliers (OEM) because of just that.
He has been in business for 35 years.
He's not sure what aftermarket companies are doing but they
just do not "fit" properly. He insists on anyone coming in to bring
OEM or he will order it for you.
I hope they stand behind the warranty.
Good luck.

It was quality German Sigla glass. Should have been good to go!
TheCabinetmaker
The last two I've installed were with urethane. They both cracked. I used buytl this time.
stevegm
Bummer. Sorry about that.

Does everyone have a glass guy/gal instal their windshields? Back in the day we did it ourselves. Just with butyl. I need to put one in. Should I call someone to do it?
dangrouche
here is my recent butyl installation using Chinese glass

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=235156

the most delicate part of the operation is removing the trim. It is a time consuming project. The problem is that newer (younger aged installer) shop owners generally are well practiced in the art of applying urethane from a squeeze gun, rather than using a bead of butyl.

the old glass I removed had been glued in with urethane and there was a 12 inch section of A pillar trim that I had to cut out with an Xacto knife because of the urethane bleed over. The A pillar trim came out unscathed. I now realize my post here is at the higher end of time and complexity because it had been bedded with urethane. I also realize that for the installation of butyl, as long as the paint is dry and clean (as in the pic of the yellow 914 I posted from another club member) the old bead will hopefully come out in chunks, and you can use solvent to clean off the old bead. Then you will not need to grind off the old urethane and/or paint, and NOT need to apply the black "Frit" paint.
ejm
May be hard to find a glass company that will use butyl. Just do it yourself. I've removed a few windshields installed with urethane, hopefully yours was sparingly applied and the inner and outer trim isn't also glued to the glass.
rick 918-S
If the glass installer got any of the urethane on the back of the trim it will bend when you remove it and it's junk. If your installer won't install the glass without urethane either get another installer or do it yourself.
porschetub
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 23 2015, 11:20 AM) *

The last two I've installed were with urethane. They both cracked. I used buytl this time.

Cabinetmaker raises a good point here,the modern screens are glued in to assist the structual strength of the car ,older cars they were merely sealed to the body.
Phoenix-MN
I feel your pain and frustration mad.gif mine cracked about two weeks after an install with a brand new factory windshield WITH buytl. The trim may have chipped an edge and cause a stress point and cracked the glass

Click to view attachment

somd914
QUOTE(ejm @ Aug 22 2015, 07:40 PM) *

May be hard to find a glass company that will use butyl. Just do it yourself. I've removed a few windshields installed with urethane, hopefully yours was sparingly applied and the inner and outer trim isn't also glued to the glass.

The company I used out here gave me the option for butyl or urethane, and though I didn't ask why, their preference was to use butyl.
Mblizzard
Well took it back in and they had no issues replacing. But will install using butyl this time. Showed them the responses to this thread and it was a real eye opener for them. Thanks for the responses. Jus hope it gets in befor Okteenerfest.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 7 2015, 04:03 PM) *

Well took it back in and they had no issues replacing. But will install using butyl this time. Showed them the responses to this thread and it was a real eye opener for them. Thanks for the responses. Jus hope it gets in befor Okteenerfest.

That's cool. Nice to see a company standing behind their work. Hopefully you want have anymore issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.