Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does your tool look like
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
So here is an idea (a line from Fargo but not applicable here.. maybe) We all create tools to make life in the 914 world more tolerable....Right?

It would be really easy to simply sell the beast and buy a contemporary 9 series car and then fall asleep waiting for the local dealer to hand you the bill for a spark plug replacement for 765 bucks....

but NO. We choose to wrench our own. We choose to fix #@*! until the tools in the bag no longer will get er done...

This thread is intended to enlighten others as to the tools that can be made to make 914 wrenching a simpler (or at least do-able) task.

My start-up tool for this thread is for installation of the the infernal dash switches. While upside down with age-old knee-crumbs falling down in one's eyes, and one hand on the backside of the (say) wiper switch, this tool allows the front bezel to be turned while the switch is held against the backside of the dash panel.. voilĂ  installed..

this one is made of a piece of 1/2"copper tube, one Lincoln penny (slotted) and a grommet and tape for cool-tool-garnish...

gotta be more tools out there..... I have a few more...
VegasRacer
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Aug 22 2015, 06:46 PM) *

gotta be more tools out there.....

Here are 9 pages worth.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=homemade++tool
Maltese Falcon
Oil line at the bottom of the six oil tank. Not the easy oil line going towards the bottom of the oil cooler...talking about the line between the rocker + long section.Click to view attachment
Started out as a surplus store find, then to the band saw for persuasion , then gold irritated plating.
You can get a bunch of angles with it smile.gif
forrestkhaag
Thanks Vegas Racer for the reference to earlier creativity in the tool shed / some of those creations are classics and useful to this day!

I have a few unique tools for the 993 valve covers and adjustments there and nearby - but I noticed over time that most 993 and beyond Owners use a more common tool...the ignition key - that,.... to drive to the nearest dealer's repair and tuning shop... no creativity there.

patssle
For loosening/tightening the fan belt on a 6.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
wingnut86
I call my "Tool", THUMPER beer.gif

I was using one of Dr. Evil's videos (shameless plug for the Doc), and after the 2nd tranny rebuild I decided I had to have an easier tool like I spotted in one of his feeds.
shades.gif

"THUMPER" is just over 3' tall and just a bit wide at the business end. Too much weld had me using the torch and some files to get it to fit the 1st time - now it works PERFECT!

happy11.gif
sb914
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.