Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear shock/Spring installation help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dredwin
So I replaced my rear shocks and the Haynes manual said to align the lower spring mount with the hole in a certain location. My old shocks and new shocks mount didn't have a hole.
Does it matter how the spring is mounted? The original springs had a paint mark on it, does that paint mark face the outside or another direction?

thank for the help
914Sixer
What kind of shocks did you use? They all should have a drain hole that goes to the inside. You probably should have replaced the 40+ year old springs too. If the springs had just one dot not three, they were the early WEAK springs.
Dredwin
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 23 2015, 05:40 AM) *

What kind of shocks did you use? They all should have a drain hole that goes to the inside. You probably should have replaced the 40+ year old springs too. If the springs had just one dot not three, they were the early WEAK springs.

Bilstein shocks. After replacing the shocks, I realized I needed springs. I bought springs but didn't want to guess at the installation. The original springs had 3 marks.

No hole on the old Bilstein or the new one. I'll try and look again. Do you think the marking on the springs go on the outside?
914Sixer
Markings on new springs are just information only. Bilstein mounts are flat not cupped like other ones but the dip needs to be to the inside to drain. I went out and took some pictures to help.
rgalla9146
The paint marking on the springs indicates spring strength (and application, IIRC)
Yellow for a 6 ?
Rotation is not important other than that both ends are properly seated in their cups.
On the bottom the coil ends right where the hole is. At least with OE bottom seats.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.