Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Tank / Oil Lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Time to check the oil lines. Should the fittings be really tight, and should tape be used in the threads?

How much oil capacity would a 2.4 with no front oil cooler take?

What type of breather line - type of hose runs from the oil tank to the top of the engine? Is this under pressure, and should it be clamped?

Thx
Luke M
Yes, make sure all the lines are tight, DO NOT use tape on the threads, Use a hose that is oil resistant and sized for the vent / breather ( buy at your FLAPS ), Clamp the breather hose from tank to engine, also clamp the vent hose. Some let it vent into carbs and others use a bottle/catch can. I like the catch can method myself. Capacity... fill on level ground (once you have at least 8 qts in it) start engine and check/fill until it reads on the marks in the dipstick. The only pressure line would be the return side the large hose if gravity feed per say.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Luke M @ Aug 23 2015, 06:15 AM) *

Yes, make sure all the lines are tight, DO NOT use tape on the threads, Use a hose that is oil resistant and sized for the vent / breather ( buy at your FLAPS ), Clamp the breather hose from tank to engine, also clamp the vent hose. Some let it vent into carbs and others use a bottle/catch can. I like the catch can method myself. Capacity... fill on level ground (once you have at least 8 qts in it) start engine and check/fill until it reads on the marks in the dipstick. The only pressure line would be the return side the large hose if gravity feed per say.

Thanks Luke

What oil would you use to start up an engine that's been sitting a long time? The PO left me with some Brad Penn 30 wt start up oil - about 4 quarts. I was thinking of using that plus some more regular Brad Penn. Change it again rather soon.
porschetub
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 24 2015, 12:18 AM) *

Time to check the oil lines. Should the fittings be really tight, and should tape be used in the threads?

How much oil capacity would a 2.4 with no front oil cooler take?

What type of breather line - type of hose runs from the oil tank to the top of the engine? Is this under pressure, and should it be clamped?

Thx

Make sure the hoses are fully supported when tightening,the oil cooler hose is the one to be really careful with,the coolers @ that point aren't very strong.

You can buy a tank breather hose from Pelican,I ordered the one for the 71 911T,its the correct type/size and only needs to be cut shorter,think I payed around $25.
EdwardBlume
Thanks. Just ordered a meter. Appreciate the tip!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.