Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The IMSA 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
gms
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 1 2017, 07:04 AM) *

evilgrin.gif

Got this one Glenn?

Photographer grew up in the same neighborhood and we ran in the same circles. He’s Chris Foley’s cousin I think.

Probably BIR...

Yup
Interesting story about that car...
A friend that I race with owned it for many years and it wasn't until he decided to sell the car that I learned it was one of the IMSA cars i was looking for. He had logbooks back to the 1970's.

Small world isn't it
ConeDodger
QUOTE(gms @ Dec 1 2017, 12:44 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 1 2017, 07:04 AM) *

evilgrin.gif

Got this one Glenn?

Photographer grew up in the same neighborhood and we ran in the same circles. He’s Chris Foley’s cousin I think.

Probably BIR...

Yup
Interesting story about that car...
A friend that I race with owned it for many years and it wasn't until he decided to sell the car that I learned it was one of the IMSA cars i was looking for. He had logbooks back to the 1970's.

Small world isn't it

It is a small world. The photographer has been taking race pics since the ‘70’s. I’d bet he’d have some IMSA 914shots for you. Jerry Winker. He’s one of my FB friends if you want to look him up.
ConeDodger
Glenn,
Tom Provasi refers to his car as an IMSA car. Zone 7 people. This is his wife’s 60th birthday present to him.
Minerva's 914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Sandy and Tom are really nice people. Is he doing something with RRVI this year?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Dec 29 2017, 10:09 PM) *

Sandy and Tom are really nice people. Is he doing something with RRVI this year?

Tom and Sandy live in Reno now but I’m sure they’ll still get around everywhere...
Dave_Darling
I remember when Tom and Sandy bought that car. (The "Orange Crate".) It was white at the time, looked like gel-coat. But it did have an IMSA history; he has the documentation of when and where it ran.

He sold his BRIGHT PURPLE four-cylinder racer to another local, John.

--DD
gms
Tom & Sandy's 914/6 has been racing since 1972, it was last raced in IMSA in 1981.
This is the car formally known as the Orange Crate. They restored the car in about 2014, all of its former liveries were still present under the orange paint.
flyer86d
This is a great thread for those of us who were there. Keep it coming!

Charlie
Steve
My favorite has always been the Garretson enterprises car. I used to visit there shop and bought a lot of parts from them when I lived in Sunnyvale. They went out of business many years ago. I heard it was income tax related. Where is that car now?
gms
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 31 2017, 10:49 AM) *

My favorite has always been the Garretson enterprises car. I used to visit there shop and bought a lot of parts from them when I lived in Sunnyvale. They went out of business many years ago. I heard it was income tax related. Where is that car now?

The black IMSA championship car is restored and located in FL the red autocross car is being savagely dismembers for an ill conceived 904 conversion.
sixnotfour
http://www.autoarch.com/Porsche914-6-1.html
Larmo63
I nominate Glenn for the "Comment of the Year" award.

RoadGlue
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 31 2017, 10:31 AM) *

agree.gif

beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
Now I understand the 'furor'. Interesting....

What's the value of a true IMSA 914 these days?
sixnotfour
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Dec 31 2017, 11:33 AM) *

agree.gif

beerchug.gif

"the red autocross car is being savagely dismembers for an ill conceived 904 conversion."
agree.gif beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
Check the latest progress. Advanced metal shaping.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 31 2017, 12:42 PM) *

Now I understand the 'furor'. Interesting....

What's the value of a true IMSA 914 these days?

Way more than that " ill conceived 904 conversion" will ever be worth.
914_teener
So much for the furor......

What about lust....

Will there be a Cindi Woods redux?

Larmo63

He got it in right under the time limit too. smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 31 2017, 03:20 PM) *

agree.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif WTF.gif
carr914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 31 2017, 04:20 PM) *

IPB Image

av-943.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 31 2017, 12:31 PM) *

agree.gif
Cracker
While I agree completely with Glenn...it is a bit bizarre that the same sentiment is met such resistance when uttered by other members. It is such a shame the car met its end in such a way...

Tony

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 31 2017, 01:31 PM) *

914Timo
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 31 2017, 11:20 PM) *

agree.gif Finally after 36 pages biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Not an IMSA 914 but a Racing 914. Taken at Brainerd International Raceway in the 1970’s. All Ginthered up!
gms
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 5 2018, 12:05 PM) *

Not an IMSA 914 but a Racing 914. Taken at Brainerd International Raceway in the 1970’s. All Ginthered up!

That WAS one of the original Ginther Roadsters, unfortunately it was crashed and scrapped at Black Hawk Farms Raceway in the mid '70. Stefan did well in the car with at least one trip to the SCCA runoffs.
SKL1
I'll have to ask a friend I see at various C&C in the Scottsdale area more about his IMSA racing days. He has his original owner blue 914-6 that has a 2.8 engine in it from his IMSA racing days way back when. His 6 is restored and beautiful and that engine sounds VERY nice!
gms
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jan 5 2018, 12:29 PM) *

I'll have to ask a friend I see at various C&C in the Scottsdale area more about his IMSA racing days. He has his original owner blue 914-6 that has a 2.8 engine in it from his IMSA racing days way back when. His 6 is restored and beautiful and that engine sounds VERY nice!

If it is Ray Hendrick then I have his old IMSA 914
GeorgeRud
I see that C Production 914-6 had Apollo Plastic on the side valence. I think they also ran a 911 Targa (with a cut-down windscreen ala Gunther) back in the 70s. Love those old pics from the 70s!

SKL1
Yes, it is Ray. He also has some other very nice vehicles... always interesting to see what he and/or his wife show up in!
ConeDodger
Glenn,
I believe this an earlier photo of the white car I posted a few pages back...
rgalla9146
Was Paul Resnicks ( RIP ... PAR Porsche) 914 an IMSA car ?
gms
Rob,
You are correct, it is the Grave's car probably early 1980's. I never noticed the rear reflector before.
stownsen914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 11 2018, 11:58 PM) *

Raul did run the 914 in a few IMSA races. I recall seeing Paul at a few PCA events with a fast, widebody 914 back in the 70s. I assume he continued developing the car and eventually raced it.

Scott
gms
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Apr 12 2018, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 11 2018, 11:58 PM) *

Paul did run the 914 in a few IMSA races. I recall seeing Paul at a few PCA events with a fast, widebody 914 back in the 70s. I assume he continued developing the car and eventually raced it.

Scott

That car was on an earlier post
PAR IMSA 914/6
gms
Click to view attachment
I did finally get this car home, here is the story
Cutler GT
rick 918-S
With the newest acquisition looks like your going to need help getting these cars back in operation. assimilate.gif smash.gif welder.gif beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
SCCA results from back in the day...
rgalla9146
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 8 2019, 09:01 AM) *

SCCA results from back in the day...

Steven Behr, Fort Lee NJ ! 1970
I was twenty years old.
I grew up in the next town to Fort Lee
There was a 427 Cobra in Ft lee at the time. Owned by Clem Hoppe
Never heard of Steven Behr or a 914 6
At the time I had a Beetle.....I think.
Plenty of 'future' famous names in that roster.

Thank you Glen
You keep things interesting.
maf914
Rob/ConeDodger,

Thanks for posting those results. There are some big names in those lists.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(maf914 @ Feb 9 2019, 11:03 AM) *

Rob/ConeDodger,

Thanks for posting those results. There are some big names in those lists.

I know! They were just boys with toys back then. evilgrin.gif
9146GUY
Boy does this thread bring back memories. I just saw this thread and the car posted in #106, the yellow #54, was a car that I knew very well. I bought that car from Dave White, prepped it for the Daytona 24 in 1976 and co-drove with Hal Sahlman and Alex Job. I was working at the Porsche dealer in West Palm then and we put the whole deal together in a two month time frame. We ran Goodyear street tires and ran the entire race on one set. That's a story in itself.
Then comes along post #107 that shows the Altman 914-6. That picture is from the the last year of the Columbus 500 in Ohio. Mark & Gary co-drove my 914-6 at Elkhart Lake and I co-drove with them in their 911 in the last 6 hour makes race at Watkins Glen. That 914 was a full tube frame car that they built from a set of plans (drawings) that they obtained. They had major teething problems with the car. I don't know whatever happened to that car. Their 911 went to Jay Kojeller in Toledo.
Great memories.
Cracker
Thanks for sharing... beerchug.gif

T

QUOTE(9146GUY @ Feb 10 2019, 11:41 AM) *

Boy does this thread bring back memories.

sixnotfour
@9146guy

Is this your 914, or someone else ??
Great memories
sixnotfour
your van ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.