Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The IMSA 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
gms
@9146GUY is none other than Steve Southard. He has been racing for a while now and most interesting to this crowd he campaigned a 914/6 for many years in IMSA.
Steve also owned and raced one of the original 6 Ginther Roadsters.
I picked up some parts from Steve last year and ended up talking with him for hours!
Click to view attachment
gms
I bought the GT bumper from the blue IMSA 914/6 a few years back
Click to view attachment
914forme
Wow I have not talked to Steve in years, glad to know he is still hanging in there.
rick 918-S
Great thread! aktion035.gif
My 914
Its nice to look at those race results, look at the pictures and read some of the great stories that go along with them.
Blue6
Glenn, thanks for this thread, always educational. On another note, are we going to see your face again at Phoenix Club show and swap in a couple of weeks?
gms
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Feb 11 2019, 09:16 PM) *

Glenn, thanks for this thread, always educational. On another note, are we going to see your face again at Phoenix Club show and swap in a couple of weeks?

I am going to try and make it but my projects are taking away my free time
biggrin.gif
Larmo63
Dang, it is that time of year again. There are plenty of events occurring that weekend.

Check out all of these events coming up:

https://www.lalitandtoyshow.com/related-events.html
9146GUY
Sixnotfour

You asked if about the yellow van....Nope

As for the spin I don't know who was driving at the time but I can tell you about a joke we were having during the race. There were several cars that Goodyear supplied street radial tires for us to run the race on. Our car was the only one that hadn't changed tires when the rain started. One of our drivers, Hal Sahlman, came from off shore power boat racing. So I made a comment to him that he would be the driver during the rain because he was the one with all the experience on top of water. Not saying it was him driving at the time but.......
BTW we finished the race on the original set of tires we started on. Try that today.
ConeDodger
972 Road Atlanta Runoffs
Cracker
The Runoffs were regularly held at RA...this is entry into T5.

T

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 12 2019, 07:40 PM) *

972 Road Atlanta Runoffs

gms
Altec Lansing car
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
so this is was the yellow/ blue 914
Greg914-6GT
I stumbled upon this car on Long Island, NY and bought it. The owner died, and his kids didn't know it's race history. It was built exploiting the upgrades you listed. Motor 2.8 RSR spec with rare mechanical injection, Bigger 930 brakes, Body mods etc. It last raced in PCA probably in the late 80s-early 90s. If someone knows any history, please let me know. It was on display at the Porsche Experience Center for a couple of years. It shared display space with the Orange 914-8 for months. It had a giant rear wing and front spoiler I removed.
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Greg914-6GT @ Feb 14 2019, 02:34 AM) *

I stumbled upon this car on Long Island, NY and bought it. The owner died, and his kids didn't know it's race history. It was built exploiting the upgrades you listed. Motor 2.8 RSR spec with rare mechanical injection, Bigger 930 brakes, Body mods etc. It last raced in PCA probably in the late 80s-early 90s. If someone knows any history, please let me know. It was on display at the Porsche Experience Center for a couple of years. It shared display space with the Orange 914-8 for months. It had a giant rear wing and front spoiler I removed.
Click to view attachment

Deceased NY owner ?
Paul Resnick ?
9146GUY
Back in the day nobody made bodywork for 914's so we had to make our own. The cars went through many different looks because of this. This is what the car looked like at Daytona in 1972.Click to view attachment
Then the bodywork was slightly changed for the 1976 Daytona 24.Click to view attachment
Then IMSA allowed 15" wide rear wheels on the cars. The car shown in the previous post (Thunderbird Swap Shop) was a rushed together set of fender flairs that probably added 100 lbs or more to the weight. I then built a new set of flair molds and made the new flairs. One race later they were no longer legal as the rules changed to 12" wheels. We also changed the number with IMSA to 40 from 54
Click to view attachment
So I modified the molds and now had flairs that just covered the 12" wheels. Click to view attachment
Daytona 24 in 1979
Click to view attachment
If you notice the lights were also changed from using the pop up's to mounted in the spoiler. When the headlights were put up for night driving we lost a bunch of RPM and speed on the back straight. On the average of 8-10 MPH if memory serves me. Also back then there was no bus stop or chicane in the back straight. What a rush going from a level track to 32 degrees banking in a couple of seconds at speed.
Cracker
Very cool...I am not challenging what they are but no picture above has the appearance of 15" wide wheels on the car. I have had a set on one of my GT40's and they are huge. I can't imagine them on a 914...wow! Tire technology was a fraction of what we have today but still - mechanical grip would have been amazing.

T
9146GUY
The picture of #40 in red was at the Daytona finale that year. We opted to run the 12" stuff instead of the 15" stuff to see what we needed for the upcoming 24Hr race. Handling, gearing, speed are all influenced by the tire size so we went the way we did.
Rear spoilers and "wings" fall into that category also.
Jaymann
Hey:What ever became of Wayne Bakers 914 4 he called the school bus???? Does anyone have a picture of that car?
Dion
@gms , found some more pics. I’m not sure if I sent them to you already.
Nevertheless here is some “analog” pics circa the big 80’s. aktion035.gif Pocono Raceway.
gms
QUOTE(Jaymann @ Feb 24 2019, 03:33 PM) *

Hey:What ever became of Wayne Bakers 914 4 he called the school bus???? Does anyone have a picture of that car?

Yes the car is still on the vintage race circuit
gms
QUOTE(Dion @ Feb 24 2019, 10:28 PM) *

@gms , found some more pics. I’m not sure if I sent them to you already.
Nevertheless here is some “analog” pics circa the big 80’s. aktion035.gif Pocono Raceway.

thanks for sharing @Dion
campbellcj
I'm dating myself but here are some pics of Wayne's car from a 2001 PCA SDR autocross. I don't recall meeting him myself but man there were a lot of 914s active at events and driving on the road back then, compared to nowadays.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
first.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 25 2019, 07:17 AM) *

I'm dating myself but here are some pics of Wayne's car from a 2001 PCA SDR autocross.

He brought that car to the inaugural "California Challenge" out in Bakersfield. It wasn't running well; I loaned him some tools while he was messing with it.

I saw the car again at Rennsport late last year. I have some pics around somewhere. Wayne was off getting tires or some such, so I talked to his buddy (mechanic?) for a bit.

--DD
campbellcj
Here's one from RR V (2015) -

IPB Image

The Altec Lansing car at the 2010 Historics -

IPB Image
campbellcj
From RR VI (2018) -

IPB Image
rgalla9146
Current drivers..... JIMMY HENDRIX ?
stownsen914
QUOTE(Greg914-6GT @ Feb 14 2019, 02:34 AM) *

Responding a question from a few posts back ... I remember a car similar to the one in the pic. I saw it in the late 1990's at Lime Rock I think. It did have a large wing with posts mounted to the rear decklid. I spent some time looking at it since it appeared nicely done, and was pretty quick too. Name might have been Bob Glasser or something like that.
stownsen914
QUOTE(Dion @ Feb 24 2019, 11:28 PM) *

, found some more pics. I’m not sure if I sent them to you already.

First pic from Dion's post looks like it shows Doug Arnao's Fiero-based 914 and possibly the Altman 911. Nice!
9146GUY
It could be the Altman 911. I co drove with them there. If that's the year the monsoon hit the track about 3/4 thru the race. You couldn't see more than 3 feet in front of you. They did have some brown trim on the car but I don't specifically remember along the side. Oh well....the memory does fade after a while
stownsen914
Some better pics of Altman's cars (including the 914 too) => http://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/pho...Altman-USA.html
jfort
Jay Kjoller related to me:

When Pontiac came out with the Fiero, part of the marketing strategy was to get privateers to build their own Fiero racers and to that end the factory developed a race chassis and made the blueprints available to anyone who wanted to buy them for a very reasonable price. The Altman brothers figured they could take the Fiero drawings and adapt it to the 914 body. Mark and Gary were pretty good chassis builders and mechanics but they weren't engineers and a direct copy of Fiero to 914 didn't work. Jay crewed for them at the Sebring race and he seemed to remember there being a discussion with a real racecar engineer who was pointing out all the ways the Fiero design didn't work on their car: things like roll centers, camber curves, etc.
Sometime after IMSA banned the 914 from competition Jay was talking to Gary and Jay asked what they were going to do with their car and he told Jay they had a buyer from Central America and that's the last he heard of it.
Type 47
IPB Image
IMSA Road Atlanta 1981ish
Jetsetsurfshop
biggrin.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
biggrin.gif
gms
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Mar 22 2019, 03:47 PM) *

biggrin.gif

the was actually Hotchkis, Kirby and Jones
stownsen914
Randomly ran across this pic of the Jones/Apgar car, reportedly from Road Atlanta around 1985. Looks like Bruce Jones livery here.

Click to view attachment
Optimusglen
Since it's relevant to this thread, I wanted to share the latest rendering I did of the #59 Brumos car piloted by Gregg/Haywood.

IPB Image
gms
Great photo @stownsen914
Awesome rendering @Optimusglen
RoadGlue
That's a rendering?! Wow, you nailed the shadows and highlights along with everything else. Nice work!
Optimusglen
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jan 22 2020, 03:08 PM) *

That's a rendering?! Wow, you nailed the shadows and highlights along with everything else. Nice work!

Thanks! yes, I did the full CAD model as well as materials and image rendering. Been an ongoing project that I've built several skills with over the last several years. It is a surface model, intended for rendering, so no 3D printing before anyone asks. haha
Cracker
Impressive.

TC

IPB Image
gms
This is the first time these two 914/6s have been in the same place since the 1975 24 hrs of Daytona

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 14 2023, 10:29 AM) *

This is the first time these two 914/6s have been in the same place since the 1975 24 hrs of Daytona

Click to view attachment

aktion035.gif shades.gif very cool!
Al Meredith
HEY TC what is the stasis of foreblades car. He had some health issues but that was couple of years ago ??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.