Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The IMSA 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(RAX 914 @ Sep 7 2015, 11:22 AM) *

Then name a f@king price already.....that's right.....it's not for sale....

It's not that it isn't for sale, it's that I'm not trying to sell it, if someone wants it, they can buy it. Is that f@king clear enough?
zambezi
Uh... no
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 7 2015, 11:35 AM) *

I want to clear up a large mis-conception. It's not that I don't have reverence for the history of this car, I do. I can truly appreciate the significance of it's long history on the track. I even had a very nice conversation with Bob Garretson about the car the other day.
But I'm in the same quandry as everyone else who appreciates this car, while the heart yearns for it to stay true, the wallet can't be hurt. Had anyone really thought this car was valuable as an ex-IMSA car it would have sold sometime in the last 8 years, or at the very least someone would have stepped up and bought it from me. Considering 914/6 conversions running and driving are now in the $25,000-50,000 range this car with the successful conversion and the racing history should command somewhere in the middle of that range. But alas, the market has spoken, while interesting and in some ways fascinating, the history of this car does not in fact add value to the car, and I'm not able to accept having to sell this car for low money and having to pay high money for a 914/6 conversion, the wallet cannot be overtaken by the heart. And apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way, because there have been no other wallets speaking or opening.

Adam, you're doing EXACTLY what we talked about all over again, but this time it's in another member's thread. Stop it. Just fucking stop repeating yourself like a broken record.

The car isn't for sale and we've heard the story over and over now. Nobody in this thread is interested. If you want to talk about anything to do with your project then have the common courtesy to do so in the confines of your own 914/904 thread.

As I've stated clearly before, this forum is here in support of the preservation/restoration/use/etc of 914s. What you're doing falls outside the norm and you're causing a shitstorm with some of the site's most valued contributors. You can justify your project however you seem fit but in the end you're destroying a 914. It's your right to do so but don't expect the support of the majority of this forum.

PM me if you have questions. Please do everyone a favor and DO NOT reply in this thread. Move on.

Thank you,

Randy
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 7 2015, 02:35 PM) *

I want to clear up a large mis-conception. It's not that I don't have reverence for the history of this car, I do. I can truly appreciate the significance of it's long history on the track. I even had a very nice conversation with Bob Garretson about the car the other day.
But I'm in the same quandry as everyone else who appreciates this car, while the heart yearns for it to stay true, the wallet can't be hurt. Had anyone really thought this car was valuable as an ex-IMSA car it would have sold sometime in the last 8 years, or at the very least someone would have stepped up and bought it from me. Considering 914/6 conversions running and driving are now in the $25,000-50,000 range this car with the successful conversion and the racing history should command somewhere in the middle of that range. But alas, the market has spoken, while interesting and in some ways fascinating, the history of this car does not in fact add value to the car, and I'm not able to accept having to sell this car for low money and having to pay high money for a 914/6 conversion, the wallet cannot be overtaken by the heart. And apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way, because there have been no other wallets speaking or opening.

Adam,
I don't think it really is a matter of the wallet over the heart or the reverse. For me, it's more of a do-the-right-thing situation. If you truly as you say have some reverence for the history, and the history is bigger than just the car, it's also the legacy of the three who built it and the memories of those who grew up with and loved the IMSA cars - you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. You should have recognized that this is not a car you should use as a cut-up for your project.
I have accepted that you really won't do the right thing so I have pretty much bowed out of this discussion.
As far as Adam not posting here, I think it is alright from the point of view that Glenn is getting lots of quotes for his manuscript as far as explaining what happened to this car.
As far as posting the unrelated article? That's just salve for your self-image. We get it. You think you're pretty cool...
RAX914
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 7 2015, 12:27 PM) *

QUOTE(RAX 914 @ Sep 7 2015, 11:22 AM) *

Then name a f@king price already.....that's right.....it's not for sale....

It's not that it isn't for sale, it's that I'm not trying to sell it, if someone wants it, they can buy it. Is that f@king clear enough?

Clear....How much do you want for it?
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 7 2015, 11:45 AM) *

Ok, so it's ok for other to post about my car, crack jokes about me and my car, but not ok for me to clear up a mis-conception about what people are saying about me and my car?
Also, when I bought the car I didn't know the IMSA history, the last owner didn't know anything about the car, except he got it from Automotive Archelogy, who had raced it in the 2000's in the mid-west. It wasn't until after I bought it, had it shipped here, and starting pouring money into it that I learned of it's IMSA history.
See this thread is full of assumptions about me.

Adam,
I don't think it really is a matter of the wallet over the heart or the reverse. For me, it's more of a do-the-right-thing situation. If you truly as you say have some reverence for the history, and the history is bigger than just the car, it's also the legacy of the three who built it and the memories of those who grew up with and loved the IMSA cars - you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. You should have recognized that this is not a car you should use as a cut-up for your project.
I have accepted that you really won't do the right thing so I have pretty much bowed out of this discussion.
As far as Adam not posting here, I think it is alright from the point of view that Glenn is getting lots of quotes for his manuscript as far as explaining what happened to this car.
As far as posting the unrelated article? That's just salve for your self-image. We get it. You think you're pretty cool...

Ok, so it's ok for others to post about my car, crack jokes about me and my car, but not ok for me to clear up a mis-conception about what people are saying about me and my car?
Also, when I bought the car I didn't know the IMSA history, the last owner didn't know anything about the car, except he got it from Automotive Archelogy, who had raced it in the 2000's in the mid-west. It wasn't until after I bought it, had it shipped here, and starting pouring money into it that I learned of it's IMSA history.
RoadGlue
I've PM'd Adam.

Let's get this thread back on track. No more melodrama. If you want to continue the Adam/904 project or anything related to it then please do so on his 914/904 thread or PM him.

Thank you,
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 7 2015, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 7 2015, 11:45 AM) *

Ok, so it's ok for other to post about my car, crack jokes about me and my car, but not ok for me to clear up a mis-conception about what people are saying about me and my car?

Adam,

Ok, so it's ok for others to post about my car, crack jokes about me and my car, but not ok for me to clear up a mis-conception about what people are saying about me and my car?

I get how you see the situation. If it is true that you didn't know, I understand that as well. However, if it had been me, and I discovered that I had stumbled into an IMSA car with race winning history, I would have felt like I had just found some good fortune. That car is worth far more restored to its former racing glory. In fact, if you want to completely turn around what people here are saying about you, restore it. You clearly have the skills. Use your powers for good Batman!

What if I found James Dean's 550 in a garage, mangled and just as it was the day he died. Do I pull that 4 cam and put it in my sand rail? Or, do I send it off to the Peterson Museum or the Porsche Museum? One makes me an ass deserving of whatever people say, the other? Be the hero Adam. You can always find another car for the 904 project. In fact, I would personally help you find another car.
RoadGlue
My last message applies to everyone.

Move on folks.
Larmo63
I'd love to see another IMSA car here restored back to it's former glory by a skilled person such as Adam!

It can be one more for Glenn's book.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Sep 7 2015, 11:06 AM) *

I finally have found my very own Altec poster
Thanks Pete!
Click to view attachment

sad.gif

I missed out on that poster just by a 30min. I better get to see it the next time we beer3.gif Pete sold it to you for a song beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
So....
Bought the car from someone who didn't know the history ?
No mention of its' history was included in the advertisement ?
Now the history is being fed to you.
You won the friggin' lottery !
Hey, you step onto the stage, you love the drama.
You're in the wrong theatre.
You better be ready for the rotten tomatoes.
gms
evilgrin.gif
Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Sep 8 2015, 06:44 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif I feel a road trip coming on. aktion035.gif
gms
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 8 2015, 06:47 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif I feel a road trip coming on. aktion035.gif

I think so
r_towle
Fess up, where is that sled?
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 8 2015, 07:08 PM) *

confused24.gif shades.gif
gms
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 8 2015, 07:08 PM) *

too far away to talk about for now, but rest assured another is saved
Chris Pincetich
interesting front flares... beerchug.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 5 2015, 06:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 4 2015, 10:28 AM) *

This came today in the mail, it's cool.

Nice, how many millimeters are you going to have to chop out of it to "convert" it to a 904? smile.gif

Oh God sad.gif ,give it a rest...please.
r_towle
What is the status of that black car in the poster?
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(gms @ Sep 7 2015, 09:06 AM) *

I finally have found my very own Altec poster
Thanks Pete!
Click to view attachment

Glenn, if you haven't already, I can put you in touch with the current owner. The car came with a small binder of history, I think only fragments though, perhaps you have some of the missing pieces, and vice versa.
gms
Another former IMSA racer back on the track last weekend!
This was a Canadian team's 914/6 that was raced from new in amateur series
and in IMSA between 1979 and 1982.
Click to view attachment
carr914
What Canadian Team?
rick 918-S
Nice!
gms
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 20 2016, 05:38 AM) *

What Canadian Team?

Dave Deacon and then Peter Aschenbrenner (under Alps Restoration)
car was run at 12 hours of Sebring 4 times and placed as high as 6th in class in 1980
sixnotfour
Mosport 1979 driving.gif
carr914
aktion035.gif
carr914
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 21 2016, 09:43 PM) *

Hey TC
Where / when was that parade ?
vintage914racer
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 22 2016, 04:10 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 21 2016, 09:43 PM) *

Hey TC
Where / when was that parade ?

That's the race car concours parade in downtown Elkhart Lake for the Big vintage weekend in July at Road America, the Weathertech International Challenge with Briand Redman presented by Hawk. Say that ten times fast.
Unobtanium-inc
9140430754 just came up for sale on Pelican, $28,500

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-car...043-0754-a.html

rick 918-S
Nice fine! Someone should buy this before it gets ruined.
stownsen914
Ha, that's Paul Resnick's old car. Paul owned PAR for those who remember. I remember when I used to bring that car to PCA events when I was a kid before HE [edit] went IMSA racing with it.

Scott
ConeDodger
One of the most amazing things about this thread is not just Glenn's knowledge, that is a given. But the people coming out of the woodwork who were there when the IMSA cars were running. Even had eyes on a car as it slid upside down through the grass!

To add to the background history on the Altec/Lansing poster. Her name is Cyndi Wood. She was Playboy Playmate of the Month in February of 1973 and the 1974 Playmate of the Year. She has a PhD in child psychology and practiced in the LA area. She had a number of TV and movie appearances as an actress, including a dancing playmate in Apocalypse Now. She is 67 years old. The car frequents the vintage race circuit as ive seen it several times. We should reach out to her agent and recreate the poster... biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 1 2017, 08:37 AM) *

Nice fine! Someone should buy this before it gets ruined.

KYB rear shocks so it is on it's way!

Too bad it had such boring livery on it when raced back in the day.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 1 2017, 11:56 AM) *

One of the most amazing things about this thread is not just Glenn's knowledge, that is a given. But the people coming out of the woodwork who were there when the IMSA cars were running. Even had eyes on a car as it slid upside down through the grass!

To add to the background history on the Altec/Lansing poster. Her name is Cyndi Wood. She was Playboy Playmate of the Month in February of 1973 and the 1974 Playmate of the Year. She has a PhD in child psychology and practiced in the LA area. She had a number of TV and movie appearances as an actress, including a dancing playmate in Apocalypse Now. She is 67 years old. The car frequents the vintage race circuit as ive seen it several times. We should reach out to her agent and recreate the poster... biggrin.gif

I've often thought of doing that with Lynda Carter and a green 911, she still looks pretty good.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 1 2017, 06:10 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 1 2017, 11:56 AM) *

I've often thought of doing that with Lynda Carter and a green 911, she still looks pretty good.

Concentrate Adam av-943.gif IMSA 914's! biggrin.gif
gms
My friend Claus Mueller used to own this IMSA 914, he said it was a very nice car.
That is not hard to believe because it was built by Peter Dawes!
Before I bought my first IMSA 914 Claus said "Once you drive an IMSA 914 you will never think about racing a GT spec 914 again" he was spot on!

Thanks for the kind words Rob.

It later had some groovy orange strips Mike...
Click to view attachment
gms
had the old girl out last weekend tearing $hit up biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
piratenanner.gif driving.gif
DM_2000
Before I bought my first IMSA 914 Claus said "Once you drive an IMSA 914 you will never think about racing a GT spec 914 again" he was spot on!

The car in post 35 is no longer a 914, it is a purpose built race car that has the general body shape of a 914 . The front and rear suspension are wildly different than a 914, full or effectively full tube frame, and an engine displacement that was never in a stock 914.

However lots of fully developed race cars bear little mechanical resemblance to a factory built car.
gms
QUOTE(DM_2000 @ Nov 1 2017, 05:49 PM) *

The car in post 35 is no longer a 914, it is a purpose built race car that has the general body shape of a 914 .

Actually it was a tube frame designed for the Fiero that was adapted to a 914 body.
mb911
QUOTE(gms @ Nov 1 2017, 02:05 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Even had my kids in it. Cool car for sureClick to view attachment
gms
Ben, It was good to see you and the kids!
stownsen914
QUOTE(gms @ Nov 1 2017, 07:31 PM) *

The car in post 35 is no longer a 914, it is a purpose built race car that has the general body shape of a 914 .

Actually it was a tube frame designed for the Fiero that was adapted to a 914 body.

Was the Altman car a Huffaker (or similar) Fiero chassis too?
gms
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Nov 2 2017, 06:20 AM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Nov 1 2017, 07:31 PM) *

Was the Altman car a Huffaker (or similar) Fiero chassis too?

Yes both Doug Arnao's and the Altman 914s were based on the plans from Huffaker.
I believe Doug Arnao's (bare frame) is for sale too.
Steve
I thought this Brumos article from an old Porsche magazine, might be of interest.
Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
evilgrin.gif

Got this one Glenn?

Photographer grew up in the same neighborhood and we ran in the same circles. He’s Chris Foley’s cousin I think.

Probably BIR...
Mueller
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 1 2017, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Nov 1 2017, 02:05 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Even had my kids in it. Cool car for sureClick to view attachment

I see a big smile, you are in trouble!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.