Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RPM Cooling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I am keeping RPM around 3500 so the fan pumps enough air over the engine/heads to keep the temp down. The only thing is the noise is just too much and after a 15 min cruise on the motorway it was getting on my nerves. What have other members done to keep the noise level bearable, or am I just a wimp?

Thanks
era vulgaris
I actually like the noise. But mine's a lot louder than stock with the headers and EVO II exhaust. I dunno, after years of driving air cooled cars, I guess I'm just used to it.
Take the top off and put the windows down. You'll barely hear the engine once you get up to 70mph for all the wind noise.
thieuster
I recognise your situation: I had the same experience every time I drove my car after the purchase and engine overhaul.

Point is perhaps that we're used to low revving (diesel) engines in Europe, or long stroke classics like my Triumph TR3A. My 914 feels a little 'bumpy' between 2000 and 2500 rpm. I learned here on the forum that it needs to be revved +1000 rpm to keep it cool.

After having learned to live with the extra rpms/noise, I noticed that like it more and more every time I drive the car! This old school engine is still capable of participating in modern day traffic. And indeed, taking the top off, will reduce all engine noises. It's even quiet, compared with the road noise.

(When driving my TR on a long stretch, I tend to wear ear plugs... The noise from the sidescreens, the wind and roadnoise is very tiresome - not something I've noticed in the 914.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.