Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: options from Vin #
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
flmont
how do u get the options list from the vin number,...is it the C OA from Porsche,..???

I have a 74' 1.8 Thanks Frank
Tom_T
Frank,

Only the newer long format VINs can get the options codes from Porsche, & if you ever look at one of those, then probably Suncoast Porsche in OR (I know: OR + SunCoast is an oxymoron! biggrin.gif ) has the best price at $10 per look-up/print-out.

For our 914s with the earlier era short VINs, you either need the original window sticker &/or dealer sales invoice listing the equipment, or you have to buy a COA from PCNA & Porsche charges a lot for often inaccurate info &/or mis-interpreted option codes (it took me 3x & a call to the customer care GM at PCNA to get it correct). PCNA offers a $20 discount IIRC for PCA members on COAs.

Even if thy get it all correct, the equipment list will be incomplete - especially as to things usually extra cost options, but included in a special model's fitment in the base price (e.g.: 911 RS/RSR, 9q4 LE, "914S", etc.).

For example, my COA even once corrected doesn't show that the Appearance & Performance Groups of options were included on the early production Aug. 72 - +/- Jan/Feb 73 914-2.0s, & which were marketed here in the USA as the "914S" by Porsche+Audi USA/NA (also 914-SC in the UK & 914S in Japan).

Don't ask more about the "914S" here, unless you want the whiners & weenies to jump in, just go read my thread on the 914S in Originality & History.

This may not be a problem with your 74 914-1.8, but I include it here for your future reference on other 914s, &/or for others looking in your topic for guidance on this matter.

BTW - the COA for my 88 Westy from the VW museum cost 1/2 the Porsche one & was correct the 1st time - although it was the longer VIN & so probably easier to get accurate info.

welcome.png

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
flmont
Hey Tom T,.....Thanks for that Info,...I bought a 74' 914 1.8 for 500.00 and no title,...for parts,..due to rust,..but when I really looked at it,..just the jack post and the Batt box was bad,..The rest ,...front and rear trunks excellent shape,..hell hole tiny bit of rust not bad at all,...still has FI and the little accordion heat regulator for the upper flappy doors,..So was just wondering,..And thanks Frank
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 23 2015, 05:53 PM) *

Frank,

Only the newer long format VINs can get the options codes from Porsche, & if you ever look at one of those, then probably Suncoast Porsche in OR (I know: OR + SunCoast is an oxymoron! biggrin.gif ) has the best price at $10 per look-up/print-out.

For our 914s with the earlier era short VINs, you either need the original window sticker &/or dealer sales invoice listing the equipment, or you have to buy a COA from PCNA & Porsche charges a lot for often inaccurate info &/or mis-interpreted option codes (it took me 3x & a call to the customer care GM at PCNA to get it correct). PCNA offers a $20 discount IIRC for PCA members on COAs.

Even if thy get it all correct, the equipment list will be incomplete - especially as to things usually extra cost options, but included in a special model's fitment in the base price (e.g.: 911 RS/RSR, 9q4 LE, "914S", etc.).

For example, my COA even once corrected doesn't show that the Appearance & Performance Groups of options were included on the early production Aug. 72 - +/- Jan/Feb 73 914-2.0s, & which were marketed here in the USA as the "914S" by Porsche+Audi USA/NA (also 914-SC in the UK & 914S in Japan).

Don't ask more about the "914S" here, unless you want the whiners & weenies to jump in, just go read my thread on the 914S in Originality & History.

This may not be a problem with your 74 914-1.8, but I include it here for your future reference on other 914s, &/or for others looking in your topic for guidance on this matter.

BTW - the COA for my 88 Westy from the VW museum cost 1/2 the Porsche one & was correct the 1st time - although it was the longer VIN & so probably easier to get accurate info.

welcome.png

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

poke.gif
JeffBowlsby
Hi Pat, great to see you posting. How have you been?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.