Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pls comment on my wiring. and i have questions too.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
I have a non working horn and wipers. I decided to by pass the cars harness and run switches and relays to power these for now. to get thru inspection.

1- what guage wire needed for wiper motor and what amp fuse?

2- what gauge wire needed for horn and what amp fuse?

3- what gauge wire needed for two radiator fans and what amp fuse?

thanks!!!
jim
jimkelly
got another fuse block at advance today. a buddy of mine suggested i use 10 gauge wire all the way to my wiper, and horn & radiator fuse block. so i will be swapping out the 14 gauge i used in these segments.

he suggested a 5 amp fuse for my horn, 2 amp for wiper, and a 10 amp for radiators, but he is not a 914 owners, just guessing.
Chris914n6
I'd just fix the factory wiring. I think it was all 16ga, but it's in the wiring diagrams.

I ran 8 ga to the front to a fuse block. Powers 2 fans, headlights, windows and amp so far. 20-30 amp fuses mostly because that's what I had.
Tom
Non working horn and wipers would make me want to check J13 on the fuse panel of the stock set up. It also runs the fresh air blower and in the Haynes manual is called the fresh air blower relay.
If you have modified stock wiring and maybe damaged wiring harnesses from a previous owner and need to go with separate wiring:
Your 10 ga. to the fuse block is OK as long as you do not put too much on your new fuse block. Say horn - 5 amps 14 ga. wire OK
wipers- probably 5 amps, but try a 7.5 if the 5 blows 14 ga OK
Radiators fans - here you need to test them and use an ampmeter to really know what they are drawing. Then double what one needs and add 50%, Say 5 to 7.5 amps each. so 10 or 15 amps times 1.5. A 12 gage wire is good for say 20 amps all day long considering the length of your run ( maybe 10 feet?).
Tom
jimkelly
tom - thanks - jim

i know fixing it the RIGHT WAY is best but since i have to run 12V to my radiators the right way, i figured for temporary, i would fix/power my horn and wipers HALF ASSED for now : )
JeffBowlsby
Temporary has a way of becoming permanent. You don't want to be a DAPO do you? Fix it right the first time.
jimkelly
guess i need a multimeter and need to learn how to use it. this will have to be PHASE 2 : )
bozo914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 25 2015, 01:40 PM) *

guess i need a multimeter and need to learn how to use it. this will have to be PHASE 2 : )

That explains why you're running new wire for things already in the harness - get the multimeter. It ain't rocket science. It's 45 year old wiring and components, in a 45 year old car, that has suffered through god knows what sort of abuse. If I can use one so can you. biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
Even a $20 a Harbor Freight special is good enough multimeter for our purposes. You mostly need to see if something has +12V on it or not, and sometimes measure resistance in the ~10-10K ohms range. And the exact values are almost never important for our use.

--DD
jimkelly
would this be a decent meter?

what features would be missing that i might want in the future?

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/inen/digital-mu...1.htm?pid=77003
Dave_Darling
Yes. Maybe overkill, even. Basically any voltmeter/ohmmeter will work for what we need on our old cars.

--DD
stinkindiesel
Fluke meters are the gold standard. Great to have if you use it often, but overkill for the typical hobbyist.

Gary

jimkelly
i pulled the trigger, $55 shipped on ebay. fluke 101.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.