Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shortening the Rotor for Pertronix Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RazorbackFan78
After adding the Pertronix Ignitor 1 last night, I was having some clearance issues with the rotor and cap. So I searched the forums here and decided to start shaving a little off the bottom of my rotor to get everything seated properly.

My question is for the guys who have already shaved down their rotors for a Pertronix install. How much did you remove? I've already shaved off 1-2mm if I had to guess.

And a funny story - after the 2nd trip to the grinder, I reinstalled it and the car started right up and idled great. So I took it out for a short test drive. After about a mile it started to studder and loose power and by the time I got home it was struggling at all RPM's. Well - It turned out I hadn't fixed my clearance issue afterall, I had accidentally clamped the cap down without it being seated correctly so it was sitting higher than it normally would. I have a new cap and rotor on the way from Pelican. Just want to make sure I don't shave off too much.

BTW - I didn't need to use the spacer plate, I've also gapped the magnet and module to spec per the instructions. And the magnetic collar is fully seated, no hammer and socket needed. The car cranks real strong and I can smell fuel, but it's not starting.
Geezer914
You don't have the trigger ring seated all the way down on the distributor shaft. You should not be trimming the rotor to make it fit.
porschetub
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Aug 24 2015, 08:07 PM) *

You don't have the trigger ring seated all the way down on the distributor shaft. You should not be trimming the rotor to make it fit.

exactly ,they are a crazy tight fit on the shaft,i always prune a little of the inside with a craft knife...then they pop on with a bit of force.
The OP has most likely buggered his by trimming it down,the only solution is to shim the module upwards then it maybe ok.
RazorbackFan78
Nope - I haven't buggered the trigger ring but thanks for the confidence. I haven't modified ANY of the Pertronix hardware. I've only shortened the base of the rotor by a few millimeters.

So back to my original question, those of you who shortened your rotor for clearance, how much did you shave off?

BTW - Here's pics. It's a bad camera angle but the trigger ring is perfectly flush with the sensor. And just for kicks I tried some spirited tapping on the trigger ring with a socket and rubber mallet and it didn't slide down any further on the shaft. I'm about 95% sure it's right where its supposed to be.

More power to ya Porschetub but I'm not about to take a craft knife to my $70 Pertronix unit when I can F-up a $6 rotor instead beerchug.gif
eyesright
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Aug 24 2015, 12:07 AM) *

That happened to me. I was sure it was seated. Then somehow I found another shove that made it pop down a bit farther and then it fit perfictly.

Good luck. Mine has worked great for 30k miles after gooing thru two sets of points in 1000 miles. :-(
bandjoey
Mine fit with no adjustment necessary. Sometimes you have to file off the set screw that goes into the base sometime shorts on the distributor
porschetub
QUOTE(RazorbackFan78 @ Aug 24 2015, 03:36 PM) *

After adding the Pertronix Ignitor 1 last night, I was having some clearance issues with the rotor and cap. So I searched the forums here and decided to start shaving a little off the bottom of my rotor to get everything seated properly.

My question is for the guys who have already shaved down their rotors for a Pertronix install. How much did you remove? I've already shaved off 1-2mm if I had to guess.

And a funny story - after the 2nd trip to the grinder, I reinstalled it and the car started right up and idled great. So I took it out for a short test drive. After about a mile it started to studder and loose power and by the time I got home it was struggling at all RPM's. Well - It turned out I hadn't fixed my clearance issue afterall, I had accidentally clamped the cap down without it being seated correctly so it was sitting higher than it normally would. I have a new cap and rotor on the way from Pelican. Just want to make sure I don't shave off too much.

BTW - I didn't need to use the spacer plate, I've also gapped the magnet and module to spec per the instructions. And the magnetic collar is fully seated, no hammer and socket needed. The car cranks real strong and I can smell fuel, but it's not starting.

Ouch hit a nerve there,sorry I wrongly read your thread...fail,apoligies,assumed you have ground down the magnetic pickup,totally wrong.
I meant that I had cleaned up the inside of the magnetic pickup where it fits on the shaft as there was a casting flash in the plastic that stopped it going fully on.
Recently fitted a Hotspark kit and had no such issue,I think Pertronix's sorted it because I had to such problem when kitting my Ignitor 2 on my 6 dizzy.
Is there any chance your rotor is incorrect,seems strange the spacing is wrong?,the kit is correct for the model dizzy...right?,hope you get it sorted beer.gif .
Dave_Darling
Remember that the most common version of the Pertronix is a little too tall to fit into our distributors gracefully. The version with the "V" suffix fits better in our Vacuum-advance distributors.

I don't know how much gets shaved down, but it's a common thing.

--DD
RazorbackFan78
Thx everyone. Yep the'1847V' is what Pertronix recommended based on my dizzy# (a 056 i believe). I'll check the interior of the magnetic ring for casting irregularities. And then it's back to the grind stone, literally. I'll let ya know how it goes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.